When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

9 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Oh ffs 😞 have either of you been vaccinated ?  all the best for a swift recovery 

9 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Sorry to hear that, best wish your way and I hope it stays mild for you both!

Thanks both, bad timing on vaccine. Both vaccinated with first dose just a week ago, so my understanding is won't be enough time to take effect. 

Typical isn't it. Manage to avoid it for 18 months, and then catch it in the 'final' two weeks. 

1 minute ago, Freddyflintstonree said:

Thanks both, bad timing on vaccine. Both vaccinated with first dose just a week ago, so my understanding is won't be enough time to take effect. 

Typical isn't it. Manage to avoid it for 18 months, and then catch it in the 'final' two weeks. 

That’s really unlucky, hopefully as you are young it won’t be too bad and you’ll have super immunity after!

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Freddyflintstonree said:

My brother was similar … he caught it a week b4 his jab was due … I’m guessing you are younger so you might get some protection fingers crossed … 

• Upvote 1

Well this is another thing we probably need to have a grown up conversation about as a society. 

If infectious respiratory diseases are overwhelming hospitals and damaging the ability to treat other conditions, then there’s 4 options. 

- Prioritise respiratory disease patients. Lots of people with other conditions suffer.

- Prioritise other conditions. People with respiratory diseases suffer. 

- Lockdown when necessary to prevent pressure on NHS. Everyone suffers, to varying extents. 

- Fund NHS properly so it can cope. We all have to pay higher taxes.

There’s no perfect answer is there? I don’t really think that regular lockdowns are viable in the longer term, but we need to appreciate the downsides of the other choices too.

The vaccinations - both for flu and COVID - are making the last option cheaper and more palatable. But I don’t think they’ll entirely eliminate the problem. 

Sadly with this government I doubt we’ll have any sort of sensible discussion but continue with spin, empty rhetoric and political posturing 🙄

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, jimmillen said:

Well this is another thing we probably need to have a grown up conversation about as a society. 

If infectious respiratory diseases are overwhelming hospitals and damaging the ability to treat other conditions, then there’s 4 options. 

- Prioritise respiratory disease patients. Lots of people with other conditions suffer.

- Lockdown when necessary to prevent pressure on NHS. Everyone suffers, to varying extents. 

There’s no perfect answer is there? I don’t really think that regular lockdowns are viable in the longer term, but we need to appreciate the downsides of the other choices too.

The vaccinations - both for flu and COVID - are making the last option cheaper and more palatable. But I don’t think they’ll entirely eliminate the problem. 

Sadly with this government I doubt we’ll have any sort of sensible discussion but continue with spin, empty rhetoric and political posturing 🙄

It won’t do much in the short term, but I think the easiest and cheapest option would be to promote healthy lifestyles for the upcoming generations. The benefits of keeping fit and healthy, and looking after yourself with what you eat and drink etc. I think a lot of 50+ year olds now are are lot more unhealthy than they need to be, due to poor lifestyle choices, which lead to complications later in life. I certainly know this is the case for my family, both immediate and extended. 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

My brother was similar … he caught it a week b4 his jab was due … I’m guessing you are younger so you might get some protection fingers crossed … 

Same for my nephew, he caught it a week before his first vaccination 😔 

Guessing this is going to be the case for a lot of young people given the case rates and vaccination progress. 

2 hours ago, Chapple12345 said:

BuT yOuNg PeOpLe DoNt WaNt To GeT JaBbED 

Someone a few years older than me that I work with who definitely flirted with being anti-vax finally caved and got it.

I think there’s clear evidence now that the more we jab. The quicker we get out of this.

Mass on mass vaccination completely flips the script.

2 minutes ago, st dan said:

It won’t do much in the short term, but I think the easiest and cheapest option would be to promote healthy lifestyles for the upcoming generations. The benefits of keeping fit and healthy, and looking after yourself with what you eat and drink etc. I think a lot of 50+ year olds now are are lot more unhealthy than they need to be, due to poor lifestyle choices, which lead to complications later in life. I certainly know this is the case for my family, both immediate and extended. 

Totally agree.

Again though there’s some big systemic issues around this, like vested interests in the food/drink/smoke industries, physical education in schools, availability of healthy foods (especially for lower income groups), etc etc 

I’m definitely no nanny state fan, but OTOH I don’t think it’s realistic to expect that individuals taking personal responsibility alone will have the necessary effect. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, zahidf said:

As an individual? Taken both jabs and encouraged others. Pay my taxes?

Yeah as an individual, this seems like a very important issue for you so I’d have thought you might be doing something about it such as writing to your MP, joining a party that shares those ideal or going on a protest march (to name a few)?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

15 minutes ago, jimmillen said:

We have to learn - or re-learn - to live with risk. The majority of the world has to live with considerable risk but the Western World with greatly increased life expectancy and medical science has become too isolated from the natural world and up until March 2020 fairly oblivious to real risk. 

19 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Fingers crossed we see sense

It would of course be great.

However, the media again are just being sensationalist with little thought to everyone’s mental health.

Headlines both ways can both lift and shatter some people’s already delicate mental state.

After 15 months why has nothing been done? How is this fair?

I have to say the sheer hypocrisy and double standards by Sturgeon up here is breathtaking.  Today she’s asking Scots not to travel to northern England due to the delta outbreak. Andy Burnham is understandably angry.  This is the woman who did nothing about the tens of thousands of football fans who descended on London, allowing extra trains, ignoring social distancing and refusing to criticise the behaviour, arrests etc. It seems that, according to her, wrap yourself in a Scottish flag and you don’t need to conform to social distancing and can ignore the law.  So now families up here are being asked for instance not to go to a campsite in the Lake District. It’s crazy.  I suspect with hopefully the end in sight she is realising she won’t have her daily party political broadcast.   Sorry, rant over.!

2 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

I have to say the sheer hypocrisy and double standards by Sturgeon up here is breathtaking.  Today she’s asking Scots not to travel to northern England due to the delta outbreak. Andy Burnham is understandably angry.  This is the woman who did nothing about the tens of thousands of football fans who descended on London, allowing extra trains, ignoring social distancing and refusing to criticise the behaviour, arrests etc. It seems that, according to her, wrap yourself in a Scottish flag and you don’t need to conform to social distancing and can ignore the law.  So now families up here are being asked for instance not to go to a campsite in the Lake District. It’s crazy.  I suspect with hopefully the end in sight she is realising she won’t have her daily party political broadcast.   Sorry, rant over.!

Maybe she wants to keep the delta variant out of Scotland as much as poss....but stopping Scotland fans travelling to London would have been super unpopular and super unrealistic.

3 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Maybe she wants to keep the delta variant out of Scotland as much as poss....but stopping Scotland fans travelling to London would have been super unpopular and super unrealistic.

UK cases are now estimated to be 99% Delta - that ship sailed long ago

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Delta is here already. As for being unpopular, she’s meant to be first minister and that should mean making pragmatic decisions.  Andy Burnham is correct in accusing her of hypocrisy. Stopping families  going south for a quiet holiday yet allowing the football fans travelling is double standards. Ok it might have been impossible to stop but she and her party should have been more vocal and criticised the journeys., especially some of the behaviour.  She quite properly criticised rangers fans after celebrating a title win .  Of course they wrap themselves in a union flag and that doesn’t suit her.  One law for one group and another for the rest. 

• Upvote 1