When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

3 minutes ago, balthazarstarbuck said:

That’s the key- it should only be a variant stoping that date now. 

I doubt the numbers will turn quickly enough to accelerate it though. 

Yep, if a new variant does emerge that’s more transmissible or better at escaping vaccines, then 19/7/2021 could be in question, but I do think the month long delay is enough to turn the tide on Delta.

The reason I think this is that one dose of the vaccines seems to provide 75% protection against hospitalisation from this variant and 2-doses increases this to over 90%. By 19th July, the 2/3 of the population that is most vulnerable will have been offered the 2-doses that they need for this level of protection and for the vast majority of people in these groups they’ll have had 2-3 weeks since their second jab to allow these antibodies to kick in.

And for younger groups, they’ll have had 1 dose which still provides good protection against hospitalisation, albeit less so against minor illness. 

The move here HAS to be to fire through these doses in the next 34 days between now and 19th July then fully reopen and get the exit wave over and done with before the flu season starts. Delaying any longer risks pushing the exit wave into September and then we’re really screwed.

Let’s just pray that we don’t see another variant emerge. 

Just now, balthazarstarbuck said:

I’m cautiously optimistic. This time last week I couldn’t see how we could get cases down without rolling back easing. Now it looks like there’s a path through; hoping it’s the vaccines breaking the transmission chains. 

Im very hopeful... ive had my hopes dashed before though haha 

33 minutes ago, Havors said:

Well said! 

I personally think it's really concerning that this crap has now been imported into the country. Do we want it to get to a point where a journalist gets beaten to death by a mob?

That lot today looked like they were about 1 or 2 more cans of Gin and Tonic away from it.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, MrBarry465 said:

Well said! 

I personally think it's really concerning that this crap has now been imported into the country. Do we want it to get to a point where a journalist gets beaten to death by a mob?

That lot today looked like they were about 1 or 2 more cans of Gin and Tonic away from it.

Yeah the line needs re-establishing. 

3 minutes ago, Havors said:

Im very hopeful... ive had my hopes dashed before though haha 

Haven’t we all! Multiple times! 
I do believe we’re close though.

5 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

The move here HAS to be to fire through these doses in the next 34 days between now and 19th July then fully reopen and get the exit wave over and done with before the flu season starts. Delaying any longer risks pushing the exit wave into September and then we’re really screwed.

Let’s just pray that we don’t see another variant emerge. 

I think that’s key. Next 2 weeks are most crucial, as their protection should kick in by 19th. Good they’ll mostly be younguns with Pfizer and Moderna, as they have less of a tail off  against delta with one shot.

7 minutes ago, MrBarry465 said:

Well said! 

Just as well there’s a new news network giving an impartial view of the  situation then!

2 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

How does this work - are these additional people who are ill but not getting tested? Or just showing symptoms so it's assumed it's covid 

ZOE has X number of members reporting their symptoms every day and estimates a probability that each person has covid (e.g. if you say you don’t have any sickness symptoms on a given day, then it’s very unlikely you have covid. If you say you have a dry cough and can’t taste or smell then it’s quite likely that you do)

They can then apportion this sample across the whole population to estimate how many people have the virus. It could be overstated if there are other viruses doing the rounds with similar symptoms, or could be understated if there are more asymptomatic infections for whatever reason. 

Just caught up with the original Nick Watt video. Fucking hell, what a state of affairs. These people are self-radicalised at this point. I know ‘post truth’ is a bit of a cliché, but when the internet can provide us with an encyclopaedic network that supports whatever we’ve decided we’d like to be true, and then forums, groups and comment sections act like little mutual affirmation societies, we’re a bit fucked. 

Add the emergence of sewers like Sky News Australia, OAN and Gab to further compound the sense of legitimacy to what’s really just ill informed prejudice, and we’re in a dark place. 

I just keep telling myself that the vast majority don’t buy in to this bullshit. Still, there comes a point where society at large shouldn’t be subject to this.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, kalifire said:

Just caught up with the original Nick Watt video. Fucking hell, what a state of affairs. These people are self-radicalised at this point. I know ‘post truth’ is a bit of a cliché, but when the internet can provide us with an encyclopaedic network that supports whatever we’ve decided we’d like to be true, and then forums, groups and comment sections act like little mutual affirmation societies, we’re a bit fucked. 

Add the emergence of sewers like Sky News Australia, OAN and Gab to further compound the sense of legitimacy to what’s really just ill informed prejudice, and we’re in a dark place. 

I just keep telling myself that the vast majority don’t buy in to this bullshit. Still, there comes a point where society at large shouldn’t be subject to this.  

Yes I agree 100%, I#ve only just realised how fucked up Sky News Australia is.

Genuinely shocked it's taken a foothold somehow in my country of birth. 

3 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Growth definitely slowed. Cases lower than yesterday as well which is a pleasant surprise! Got to be some happy faces about that.

Thats a good few days quite flat... growth rate dropping.  Excellent if it continues. 

10 minutes ago, kalifire said:

You post that on here with no sense of irony?