Chrisp1986

When will this shit end?

Are people all of a sudden forgetting to tidy up after themselves ? why are we getting all this rubbish now ? 

I don’t know if anyone on here has ever gone to Ikea in Wembley but hell is far more preferable.

You couldn’t pay me to go there now, let alone voluntarily join a four hour queue. 

1 minute ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Just saw the IKEA queue on telly there, massive line snaking round and round the car park.  

Can you imagine the social distancing queue to get into Glasto? The Gate A queue would start at Street/Glastonbury shopping centre!

I think if you work it out it will be much longer than that .... although they could shorten it by installing more slaloms that we all love !!

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

It’s probably lovely once you’re in there... just not the four hour queue bit.

Ive been to my local garden centre once, about a 20 minute queue to get in, but a significantly nicer experience once you’re in there. 

Yeah, nice once in...I guess (you allowed to touch stuff?), but spontaneity will be gone for a while. Can't just pop to the shops. Probably be same with restaurants and maybe pubs when they open, have to pre-book a table for a certain time...

Yep, I went to Crystal Palace park three times over the last two days and each day there were piles of rubbish everywhere. Bad enough at the best of times, but during a pandemic? On one of the occasions there were four of five police halfheartedly trying to disperse large groups.

4A3649C1-4EE0-41B3-AA9D-2ED218AC3481.jpeg

Edited by Homer

Do we have any economists amongst us?

I'm curious as to why we are going to be in such dire straits post this.

I've found myself with more money in my pocket even though I'm furloughed due to not physically being able to go out and spend it. I'd have thought this would be the case for lots of others too?

Given this surely people will have more money to splurge once this is over with and in turn kick start the economy again.

Edited by JoeyT

2 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

I've found myself with more money in my pocket even though I'm furloughed due to not physically being able to go out and spend it. I'd have thought this would be the case for lots of others too?

Given this surely people will have more money to splurge once this is over with and in turn kick start the economy again.

I suppose the hospitality sector could be greatly affected with reduced capacity, therefore reduced income, which could lead to people being laid off. Plus haven't a a few holiday companies already gone bust? Shearings is one off the top of my head, and I'm sure there'll be more. Probaby a few airlines too 

6 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

I’ve thought this myself. I think it really depends on timing, and whether once the furloughing ends, will we see mass lay offs then anyway. Lots will depend on a second wave hitting in autumn winter or not and if we have another lock down, I suspect that would be catastrophic.

One thought I had was that this is nobodies fault and the government to be fair to them, have helped huge numbers of individuals and businesses with the furlough payments. This isn’t like a normal recession when people don’t really bat an eye lid when companies make mass redundancies.

This could be wishful thinking (in fact it almost certainly is) and obviously if it’s not financially viable then redundancies will happen, but there will be an awful lot of bad will against businesses who lay people off when financially they can avoid it, especially when they’ve had months of government support. 

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

9 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I think if you work it out it will be much longer than that .... although they could shorten it by installing more slaloms that we all love !!

Yes, so just changed it to J23 of the M5 and a three times round the Tor slalom! 

3 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

1. Most businesses have fixed costs for the lockdown profit, very many with little or no income during that period. It'll take more than a splurge for them to recover. Many won't.

2. The government (i.e. all of us) may have to borrow £300 billion for all of this (£300,000,000,000). We have to pay that back, sometime. All extra to what was budgeted for not so long ago. That's I think around £9,000 per taxpayer. Inevitably that's either austerity (Unlikely), a booming economy (Unlikely) or extra taxes. If we can all splugre as well as pay off an average of £9,000 each we're OK. Or we can leave the debt to our children.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Are people all of a sudden forgetting to tidy up after themselves ? why are we getting all this rubbish now ? 

I was wondering the same thing. Although yesterday I spent a few hours drinking cans at the foot of St Paul's Cathredral in brum. People were putting their rubbish in bins, only for me to watch it make an appearance later on as the wind carried it out of overstuffed and ill maintained bins and spread it all over the grass. Only solution is to take it home.

Credit where it's due: the govt has certainly helped me greatly with the furlough scheme.

I only got a D in GCSE economics (which was a hell of a result considering how little work I did), but my basic understanding is that this will partly all be paid for by quantative easing (AKA printing more money). When that happens, you usually get inflation. And that usually leads to higher interest rates (feel free to correct me on some/all of this).

In 1920s Germany, people had to get wheelbarrows to take their money out. (Probably apocryphal story that someone once saw a wheelbarrow filled with cash unattended. They tipped all the money out and nicked the wheelbarrow.)

possibly councils under pressure with staffing levels at the moment with many still off ... and a return to pre pandemic selfishness levels ... its horrendous seeing peoples levels of selfishness ... I know we are going to get extreme pictures in the press but this does seem to be something thats blighting us ... Those evil sky rats seem like they are in much lower numbers now but a return won't be long ... 

29 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I don’t know if anyone on here has ever gone to Ikea in Wembley but hell is far more preferable.

You couldn’t pay me to go there now, let alone voluntarily join a four hour queue. 

I used to live 5 minute walk from there. It was like entering the 9th circle.

33 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Locally it's because the litter bin collection hasn't quite got up to speed yet and people aren't prepared to take their rubbish home if the bin is full.

17 minutes ago, Homer said:

Credit where it's due: the govt has certainly helped me greatly with the furlough scheme.

I only got a D in GCSE economics (which was a hell of a result considering how little work I did), but my basic understanding is that this will partly all be paid for by quantative easing (AKA printing more money). When that happens, you usually get inflation. And that usually leads to higher interest rates (feel free to correct me on some/all of this).

In 1920s Germany, people had to get wheelbarrows to take their money out. (Probably apocryphal story that someone once saw a wheelbarrow filled with cash unattended. They tipped all the money out and nicked the wheelbarrow.)

I thought we'd just have long term debt that will be paid off slowly over time...

8 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

possibly councils under pressure with staffing levels at the moment with many still off ... and a return to pre pandemic selfishness levels ... its horrendous seeing peoples levels of selfishness ... I know we are going to get extreme pictures in the press but this does seem to be something thats blighting us ... Those evil sky rats seem like they are in much lower numbers now but a return won't be long ... 

This has to be the ultimate example of selfishness. Unbelievable interview with this paddleboarder on the BBC earlier who saved a couple of the tombstoners from drowning. He almost drowned getting the last one off the seabed (he thought it was a corpse) and seemed pretty traumatised. The ones who got in trouble actually dived in side on, thinking the water would be soft (imagine doing a bellyflop from that height!). He said, despite all this, people carried on tombstoning the next day.

https://newsnetdaily.com/durdle-door-tombstoner-rescuer-feared-he-would-drown/

32 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

some parts of the economy will be ok, some parts will be totally screwed. Some people, like yourself,  will have been able to save money, some people will lose jobs and will struggle tp find another one. If we're not careful we'll end up with an even more unequal society than we have now.

4 minutes ago, Homer said:

This has to be the ultimate example of selfishness. Unbelievable interview with this paddleboarder on the BBC earlier who saved a couple of the tombstoners from drowning. He almost drowned getting the last one off the seabed (he thought it was a corpse) and seemed pretty traumatised. The ones who got in trouble actually dived in side on, thinking the water would be soft (imagine doing a bellyflop from that height!). He said, despite all this, people carried on tombstoning the next day.

https://newsnetdaily.com/durdle-door-tombstoner-rescuer-feared-he-would-drown/

yep for sure ... all this stuff to keep the nhs from getting overwhelmed and we return to this for adreniline rushes ... I can almost work out why people have their reasons for getting back to beaches ( no reason not to based on advise ) but definitely not for me ... I would still be wanting to steer clear of hospitals where possible 

1 hour ago, Toilet Duck said:

Hi Nobby, yes, our case numbers are actual cases, not projected cases (I did see 8000 per day quoted somewhere for the UK and was confused as I thought it was closer to 2k and holding firm). If all of those are in high risk settings and not as a result of community transmission, then testing and contact tracing can (in theory) contain them. I was a little shocked at the level of training contact tracers in the UK were reported to have received (about 30 mins, a FAQ, a script and an instruction to look at videos on YouTube), whereas my own institution has trained about half of the contact tracers in Ireland and it was a week of face-to-face (socially distanced!) training. But whether that is actually the case or whether this was for extra bodies to bolster the system was not entirely clear from the reporting. I’m sure there must be some properly trained folk involved at some level. 

From the reports and accounts I've read, it very much reminds me of the "training" I get at work. Useless, does absolutely nothing to help me at work, or improve things for the customer in any way, but what it does do is pass the buck to me so if anything ever goes wrong my employer can always say "well we provided them with training". Which is one thing in a hospitality job, a bit more worrying for contact tracers though

52 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Not an economist and I really hope you're right that we get some sort of boom! But although some people may have more money in their pocket, I wonder if the average consumer will be more cautious about spending their disposable income for fear of future uncertainty (e.g. second wave, job safety etc.)

10 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

yep for sure ... all this stuff to keep the nhs from getting overwhelmed and we return to this for adreniline rushes ... I can almost work out why people have their reasons for getting back to beaches ( no reason not to based on advise ) but definitely not for me ... I would still be wanting to steer clear of hospitals where possible 

He said the crowd on the beach was egging the jumpers on too. Unbelievable!

I don't really get the point of travelling all the way to somewhere that is bound to be crowded. I just iust my balcony and local parks.

57 minutes ago, Homer said:

Yep, I went to Crystal Palace park three times over the last two days and each day there were piles of rubbish everywhere. Bad enough at the best of times, but during a pandemic? On one of the occasions there were four of five police halfheartedly trying to disperse large groups.

4A3649C1-4EE0-41B3-AA9D-2ED218AC3481.jpeg

It’s about time they stopped selling these legally online - surely nobody is buying them for the intention they were made for (aren’t they used for whipping cream?!)

Just now, st dan said:

It’s about time they stopped selling these legally online - surely nobody is buying them for the intention they were made for (aren’t they used for whipping cream?!)

I think they are used for air pistols too.

15 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

From the reports and accounts I've read, it very much reminds me of the "training" I get at work. Useless, does absolutely nothing to help me at work, or improve things for the customer in any way, but what it does do is pass the buck to me so if anything ever goes wrong my employer can always say "well we provided them with training". Which is one thing in a hospitality job, a bit more worrying for contact tracers though

I guess that's what we get for accepting everything going to private companies who's only motive is profit. This is just treated as another government contract. 

I also don't think the government believes in contact tracing as a principle as they don't want to be seen as invading people's privacy or interfering in their lives. I post comments about how important it is across various forums and social media and there is always a helpful (usually american) forcefully pointing out what a huge infringement on civil liberties the very idea is, and that's why it won't work. The "it's only for poorer countries" comment doesn't really fill me with confidence that they believe they should be implementing such a system at all.