Jump to content

When will this shit end?


Chrisp1986

Recommended Posts

Whys everyone shitting rhemselves over a few thousand cases which is to be expected as we've opened up? Where's the evidence that this Indian variant is able to escape the vaccine? I don't worry about the the government anynore as much as I  worry about normal people fueling this perpetual shit show

Edited by Rex2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Rex2 said:

Whys everyone shitting rhemselves over a few thousand cases which is to be expected as we've opened up? Where's the evidence that this Indian variant is able to escape the vaccine? I don't want about the the government. I sometimes worry about normal people fueling this perpetual shit show 

This is also what's causing worry amongst many people today

 

 

Increased risk of hospitalisation after 14 days which on top of knowing that 1 dose of the vaccine isn't as effective against the Delta variant has caused some alarm. Which is totally fair but it's also important to remember that we are in a much better position than back in the Winter and things shouldn't get that bad again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

This is also what's causing worry amongst many people today

 

 

Increased risk of hospitalisation after 14 days which on top of knowing that 1 dose of the vaccine isn't as effective against the Delta variant has caused some alarm. Which is totally fair but it's also important to remember that we are in a much better position than back in the Winter and things shouldn't get that bad again.

So assuming the vulnerable are at this point protected with two doses, why is there talk of rolling back on the road map? I just don't understand it

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Rex2 said:

So assuming the vulnerable are at this point protected with two doses, why is there talk of rolling back on the road map? I just don't understand it

There isn't talk of rolling it back, there's talk of delaying the final step. The reasons being that if this new variant which is more transmissible leads to increased risk of hospitalisation then as only 50% of adults have both doses it would seem prudent to keep restrictions as they are to get as many 2nd dosed up as we can.

  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

This is also what's causing worry amongst many people Which is totally fair but it's also important to remember that we are in a much better position than back in the Winter and things shouldn't get that bad again.

I don't think people expect sugar coating, but perhaps some reassurance from the CMO or JVT that we won't see an overrun NHS again would do the national morale some good. I know they can't guarantee it but I do worry some scientists seem to be undermining the vaccines and this is causing some panic amongst people, I think a couple more weeks and the data will be in a better place too 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

Ive said it time and again- the government have caused all of this with their 21st June nonsense. Had they not announced it people wouldn't be piling onto each other, or onto scientists who are being proved right. 

People wouldn't have booked holidays, events wouldn't have announced (and maybe got the financial help they'll eventually need instead of pressing ahead) People would be happy with the freedoms they have and not pining for things that have been promised that can't be fulfilled. 

Who honestly thinks there will be non socially distanced events in 8 weeks? And who can honestly say it ever felt realistic that they could happen this summer? 

They should have been honest about the vaccine efficacy results with the indian variant from a few weeks ago, and what this could possibly mean...i.e. delay until more of population double dosed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

There isn't talk of rolling it back, there's talk of delaying the final step. The reasons being that if this new variant which is more transmissible leads to increased risk of hospitalisation then as only 50% of adults have both doses it would seem prudent to keep restrictions as they are to get as many 2nd dosed up as we can.

Fair enough if it's extended by a couple of weeks but at what point do the goalposts stop moving? When kids are also vaccinated? When the elderly have had their booster shots? When we've all had our booster shots. Deaths fall of a cliff when you get below 50 years of age. Once everyone's been offered 1 dose we need to open up 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Rex2 said:

Fair enough if it's extended by a couple of weeks but at what point do the goalposts stop moving? When kids are also vaccinated? When the elderly have had their booster shots? When we've all had our booster shots. Deaths fall of a cliff when you get below 50 years of age. Once everyone's been offered 1 dose we need to open up 

To be honest, I don't really know. Personally I think waiting till all adults have had (or been offered their 2nd dose) plus 3 weeks would seem like a good point to fully relax, maybe allowing for slightly larger groups to meet up. We have a lot more freedoms now, government support is still there in various forms for businesses and we would have maximum protection against the virus that way. They can then extend all the trial events for sports, music and other gatherings through the next few weeks which will also give further data on spread of this new variant in those environments.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, hodgey123 said:

Yeah agree with this. I am feeling pretty down and hopeless for the future now, considering we had been doing so well and there is serious danger of us going backwards with this new variant.

I think worst we'll see is a pause...we have really vaccinated a lot of people in this country...and won't be long till we'll be at a level where no variant will have a chance...

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Rex2 said:

Whys everyone shitting rhemselves over a few thousand cases which is to be expected as we've opened up? Where's the evidence that this Indian variant is able to escape the vaccine? I don't worry about the the government anynore as much as I  worry about normal people fueling this perpetual shit show

vaccines we found to have less efficacy against this variant with single dose, only 33% or something like that for AZ...hence the push to double dose as many as poss.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

yeah, well wouldn't be surprised if there are still some restrictions till then...indoor stuff. Might be a few raves this summer.

That's what I mean, keep some restrictions in place especially inside till the bulk of adults have had 2 doses which would give max protection then look to remove all restrictions.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

To be honest, I don't really know. Personally I think waiting till all adults have had (or been offered their 2nd dose) plus 3 weeks would seem like a good point to fully relax, maybe allowing for slightly larger groups to meet up. We have a lot more freedoms now, government support is still there in various forms for businesses and we would have maximum protection against the virus that way. They can then extend all the trial events for sports, music and other gatherings through the next few weeks which will also give further data on spread of this new variant in those environments.

That sounds a bit overly cautious to me. I guess until we reach that point, then it might be reasonable to say "if not now, then when?", but surely one dose is going to be enough to keep some of the younger people protected pretty well? I'd be surprised if we needed to wait that long to be safe, even with the delta variant.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

That's what I mean, keep some restrictions in place especially inside till the bulk of adults have had 2 doses which would give max protection then look to remove all restrictions.

Technically, most adults have had two doses as of today 😁

Seriously though, what kind of % did you have in mind?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think this is a really interesting period of time and it’s one that is going to be very polarising. 
 

This is the first real moment that as a populous we have to accept that death exists. Every week over 400 people die behind a wheel, yet driving is so intrinsically part of our lifestyle we don’t question it.  Last year nearly 14,000 people died of pneumonia yet we don’t question what we could do to stop that. Heart disease has killed more people in the last 3 months than COVID, but I can go get fast food processed meat at any time. 
 

The fact of the matter is that as of today over 50% of the adult population are vaccinated. Almost all of the vulnerable are fully protected. Sure there’s what if’s, but at some point we have to accept deaths are going to happen and this isn’t going away.

 

don’t quite know what my point is here, but the next few weeks are going to be fascinating as I think a lot of people are going to have to have face up to their mortality 

  • Upvote 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...