Chrisp1986

When will this shit end?

12 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

aparently not ... I asked this a few pages back ... apparently government answer no to that question ......

So at least we can stay in a tent in our own garden, as we are planning to do over Glastonbury weekend! 

57 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I manage to find some really specific politics stuff on Twitter.

Ffs. So now I'd have to actually break the law to go and see my parents. Literal worst nightmare, just getting worse.

1 minute ago, WestCountryGirl said:

Ffs. So now I'd have to actually break the law to go and see my parents. Literal worst nightmare, just getting worse.

Break the law?

Just now, stuartbert two hats said:

If she goes in the house and her parents are there, then yes.

You can still see them outside, unless I've missed/forgotten something.

4 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Break the law?

Well, yes. In order to visit them I would have to stay overnight away from home, which is apparently going to be illegal, according to that post. Unless I've misunderstood.

Just now, WestCountryGirl said:

Well, yes. In order to visit them I would have to stay overnight away from home, which is apparently going to be illegal, according to that post. Unless I've misunderstood.

I forgot you would have to travel to see them, sorry!

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

I forgot you would have to travel to see them, sorry!

Aye, just the 300 miles. And don't worry - not expecting everyone to keep tabs on where everyone on the forum is in relation to their parents!

Interesting article from a German modeller who has accurately predicted the spread of the virus in London.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/31/covid-19-expert-karl-friston-germany-may-have-more-immunological-dark-matter

Encouragingly, he's not hugely concerned about the relaxation in the UK triggering a second peak, more that there could be one whenever immunity wears off - which we don't have much idea about right now.

I felt actually pretty optimistic after reading that.

1 minute ago, WestCountryGirl said:

Aye, just the 300 miles. And don't worry - not expecting everyone to keep tabs on where everyone on the forum is in relation to their parents!

So close as well. You can stay overnight if you're "a child that does not live in the same household as their parents". I mean, you're their child, but I'm guessing you're not actually a child?

You could absolutely go and stay with them and no one will ever do anything about it. They won't be enforcing this stuff. Just depends if you think it is safe or not.

19 minutes ago, WestCountryGirl said:

I suspect that rule is to stop people staying at the coast etc. in campervans and motorhomes. Should be safe enough in a house.

2 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

You could absolutely go and stay with them and no one will ever do anything about it. They won't be enforcing this stuff. Just depends if you think it is safe or not.

Yeah, I guess. Still don't like the idea of it mind. I remember when lockdown first started the police were being very vigilant in Devon on stopping people and finding out where they were going. I imagine that has lessened as the lockdown has weakened. 

I think my family and I are all in agreement that we will maintain our social isolation as best we can for the next few weeks, hope that we're permitted visitation in the meantime, and if not, just sensibly take things into our own hands.

It's been five months, I'm going to lose it if I don't have a chance to see them on the horizon soon.

3 minutes ago, WestCountryGirl said:

Yeah, I guess. Still don't like the idea of it mind. I remember when lockdown first started the police were being very vigilant in Devon on stopping people and finding out where they were going. I imagine that has lessened as the lockdown has weakened. 

I think my family and I are all in agreement that we will maintain our social isolation as best we can for the next few weeks, hope that we're permitted visitation in the meantime, and if not, just sensibly take things into our own hands.

It's been five months, I'm going to lose it if I don't have a chance to see them on the horizon soon.

The police had to close a beach in Devon, Durdle Door as people were jumping off this arch injuring themselves. So yeah there is that.

It seems like the government will continue to loosen the rules it feels like. 

20 minutes ago, WestCountryGirl said:

But it's still essentially "so what?" if you drive over in the morning. Yes officer, I'm driving 300 miles to see my parents this morning and driving 300 miles back this evening because I haven't seen them in months and it's the only way.

You're not doing anything illegal until you stay over, at which point you're safely inside and no-one is going to come arrest you. It's an unenforceable law and they absolutely know it.

38 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Interesting article from a German modeller who has accurately predicted the spread of the virus in London.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/31/covid-19-expert-karl-friston-germany-may-have-more-immunological-dark-matter

Encouragingly, he's not hugely concerned about the relaxation in the UK triggering a second peak, more that there could be one whenever immunity wears off - which we don't have much idea about right now.

I felt actually pretty optimistic after reading that.

I read that earlier, the last paragraph is very interesting:

For example, it looks as if the low German fatality rate is not due to their superior testing capacity, but rather to the fact that the average German is less likely to get infected and die than the average Brit. Why? There are various possible explanations, but one that looks increasingly likely is that Germany has more immunological “dark matter” – people who are impervious to infection, perhaps because they are geographically isolated or have some kind of natural resistance. This is like dark matter in the universe: we can’t see it, but we know it must be there to account for what we can see.

I’ve read a couple of theories regarding cross-immunisation, a certain portion of people may simply be immune, so wouldn’t get sick or pass it on but wouldn’t have antibodies in antibody testing either. It’s strange you can get people in the same household not getting infected at all, or only a relatively small portion of a cruise ship getting it. Of course it to just a theory but it fits with the dark matter explanation.

But either way there is far too much noise regarding easing of lockdown at the moment coming from all over the place. It’s simply too early to tell. We’re behind everyone else in this, and so far there isn’t any precedent for it being too soon or for there to be a second spike. 

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

29 minutes ago, WestCountryGirl said:

We are doing the same for a few weeks (my parents are drivable to and from in a day so technically allowed) just because I don't feel as comfortable visiting as I'd like to. Case numbers still too high for me to take the risk when we could just wait a bit longer. But honestly I really wouldn't worry about falling foul of the law now. It's basically a free for all from tomorrow and that has already started for most.

Edited by Zoo Music Girl

33 minutes ago, WestCountryGirl said:

They don’t want people inside houses because it increases the risk. Realistically what are the millions of people who go to BBQs going to do when they get pissed and want a wee? The reality is some will follow the rules to the letter, some won’t. The government are fully aware of this when making these changes. As long as you’re careful then stay over, it will be happening all over the country and never be enforced or found out. If the law allowed you to stay over from tomorrow the risk would still be identical.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

17 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I read that earlier, the last paragraph is very interesting:

For example, it looks as if the low German fatality rate is not due to their superior testing capacity, but rather to the fact that the average German is less likely to get infected and die than the average Brit. Why? There are various possible explanations, but one that looks increasingly likely is that Germany has more immunological “dark matter” – people who are impervious to infection, perhaps because they are geographically isolated or have some kind of natural resistance. This is like dark matter in the universe: we can’t see it, but we know it must be there to account for what we can see.

I’ve read a couple of theories regarding cross-immunisation, a certain portion of people may simply be immune, so wouldn’t get sick or pass it on but wouldn’t have antibodies in antibody testing either. It’s strange you can get people in the same household not getting infected at all, or only a relatively small portion of a cruise ship getting it. Of course it to just a theory but it fits with the dark matter explanation.

But either way there is far too much noise regarding easing of lockdown at the moment coming from all over the place. It’s simply too early to tell. We’re behind everyone else in this, and so far there isn’t any precedent for it being too soon or for there to be a second spike. 

That dark matter stuff sounds a bit mental tbh

9 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Well it kind of makes sense when it comes to Covid. There is still loads we don’t know about, but some of the differences and outcomes are evidence of something, we just don’t know what that something is yet. 

The way the gov are relaxing things the 4th July is really gonna be the key date they open all the pubs to celebrate our independence day - you can see the headlines now!! (they don't care if a "few" plebs die) <_<

I’ve got a friend whose a nurse at a police station. At the moment she’s taking more blood samples for drink and drug drivers than she normally does over Christmas. We’re clearly not living in normal times. 

Then you have the cliff jumpers at Durdle Door this weekend. Someone jumped badly and needed evacuation by air ambulance. You think that would be enough to make people think and stop jumping from a 200ft cliff. Nope it didn’t and an hour or so later the air ambulance was back out to rescue another person who had done the same thing. 

People are dumb. 

Just now, Ozanne said:

How is this possible?

After months of being stuck inside the Government is starting to let you out and play again, regardless of how safe or sensible that may be it isn't surprising that it's popular.

7 hours ago, zahidf said:

It's just a colourful metaphor for aspects of the disease we don't understand.