When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

14 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

To be fair they haven't said they're going to do anything. Excerpt below, italics mine:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-response-spring-2021/covid-19-response-spring-2021-summary

Step 4 - not before 21 June

Social contact

By Step 4 which will take place no earlier than 21 June, the government hopes to be in a position to remove all legal limits on social contact.

Yep, very true, the wording is key and I've reinforced that a few times as well . My emphasis was going to be that the roadmap does categorically not say that restrictions on large events will be removed, it says they will be eased. It makes the distinction in the bit below about removing limits on weddings etc.

The use of the word 'large' as opposed to 'larger ' is also possibly an indication (as the lawyers normally pore over/amend this type of wording) that larger events than currently permitted may be allowed but large events per se might still be subject to some restrictions until the ERP/vax programme is completed.

Business, activities and events

We hope to reopen remaining premises, including nightclubs, and ease the restrictions on large events and performances that apply in Step 3. This will be subject to the results of a scientific Events Research Programme to test the outcome of certain pilot events through the spring and summer, where we will trial the use of testing and other techniques to cut the risk of infection. The same Events Research Programme will guide decisions on whether all limits can be removed on weddings and other life events.

All just baseless speculation though. 🙂

Edited by Copperface

5 minutes ago, Copperface said:

Yep, very true, the wording is key and I've reinforced that a few times as well . My emphasis was going to be that the roadmap does categorically not say that restrictions on large events will be removed, it says they will be eased. It makes the distinction in the bit below about removing limits on weddings etc.

The use of the word 'large' as opposed to 'larger ' is also possibly an indication (as the lawyers normally pore over/amend this type of wording) that larger events than currently permitted may be allowed but large events per se might still be subject to some restrictions until the ERP/vax programme is completed.

Business, activities and events

We hope to reopen remaining premises, including nightclubs, and ease the restrictions on large events and performances that apply in Step 3. This will be subject to the results of a scientific Events Research Programme to test the outcome of certain pilot events through the spring and summer, where we will trial the use of testing and other techniques to cut the risk of infection. The same Events Research Programme will guide decisions on whether all limits can be removed on weddings and other life events.

All just baseless speculation though. 🙂

Good spot. "Ease" certainly doesn't sound like they were ever expecting everything to be back to as 2019 this month.

5 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Or in 2021 - I just wish they'd not hinted otherwise in February. We won't be normal til summer 2022 

Remember the days of 'Back to normal by Christmas' and 'Normality by Easter'.

They weren't even hints.

People fell for that rubbish as well. Might be  few heads exploding (a la Kingsman) if some people don't get what they think should happen. On the other hand, they might just throw caution to the wind.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Mail saying a new Nepal variant has spread to Europe (but not the UK, yet) and it is feared to be the first genuine vaccine breaking variant. Talk that the Green list could be suspended to try and stop the variant getting in. 

Obviously. Just as hope comes along 

8 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Mail saying a new Nepal variant has spread to Europe (but not the UK, yet) and it is feared to be the first genuine vaccine breaking variant. Talk that the Green list could be suspended to try and stop the variant getting in. 

Can't see anything on the story about it being vaccine resistant. Sounds like another scariant excuse to me

Wonder what other country they'll find the variant in. Maybe they spin a globe and point at the country they want to use?

20210602_223802.jpg

Edited by zahidf

Aren’t all the news variants more deadly and more contagious... until they announce that they aren’t that much worse after all? 

2 minutes ago, stuie said:

Aren’t all the news variants more deadly and more contagious... until they announce that they aren’t that much worse after all? 

I'm sure Pagel and fake SAGE are rubbing their hands with glee at the 50 tweet threads and Timea Radio interviews they can do now about this means we need to lockdown backwards immediately for 4 months for the boosters 'just in case'.

4 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Can't see anything on the story about it being vaccine resistant. Sounds like another scariant excuse to me

Wonder what other country they'll find the variant in. Maybe they spin a globe and point at the country they want to use?

20210602_223802.jpg

It’s right here, I presume more detail is in the article. 

43B2BB4E-9F9B-4177-8BBD-43C8B8BCAA24.jpeg

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

It’s right here, I presume more detail is in the article. 

43B2BB4E-9F9B-4177-8BBD-43C8B8BCAA24.jpeg

Loolllll. That's not exactly a peer reviewed paper. What scientist? What evidence to they have? Nothing in the article on that. And nothing online about it.

When dealing with dodgy posters online the best advice is not to feed the trolls. 

Same goes for the media. Don’t feed them clicks especially when they post outrageous headlines with minimal details on the opening post. 

They have suckered you in big time if you’re going looking for more details from that particular source.