When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

4 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/may/28/covid-uk-coronavirus-cases-deaths-and-vaccinations-today

Observe case rates by age group. Oddly, 40-59 going up sharply - should have had 2 jabs by now? I suppose problem is that vaccines have a %age margin of efficacy, therefore even a few % can be measured in 1000's.

Vaccine doesn't stop you testing positive. 

Seems like it’s a very common occurrence for sport stars to have false positive tests - only for them to be re-tested and then proved to actually be negative. I can only imagine how common this will be within the general population, especially when we’re doing 1m+ tests a day. 

16 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Good point. If the hospitalisations were just under the "ok" line from an absolute point of view, but cases had trebled in the previous two weeks, then they wouldn't unlock.

Conversely, if the hospitalisations were relatively high, but dropping and cases also dropping, then we'd probably be good to go.

I can see why they don't publish threshold numbers, I wouldn't.

I’m not sure, remember last year when they went on and on about how important R was for our unlocking. Then we pressed ahead, R went up and they started saying it wasn’t all about R. If they want to do something they’ll ignore their 4 tests. 

9 minutes ago, Havors said:

Not sure how... when the reason for not allowing festivals is because of social contact? 😄 Everything is based on the premise of social contact restrictions?

IMO abolishing all limits on social contact means the government can’t legally stop you meeting 30/50/200 mates at a house party etc. Doesn’t mean that massive gigs will be allowed without distancing/face coverings.

4 hours ago, Chapple12345 said:

Staycation is supposed to be you doing holiday style activities whilst staying at your own home, I fail to see how staying somewhere else whilst within the UK isn't a holiday 

Not exactly. A staycation can be a self catering holiday in which you stay in that area and don't travel to and from here, there and everywhere. So you go to a an area of Cornwall or Devon and you stay in that area.

5 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

IMO abolishing all limits on social contact means the government can’t legally stop you meeting 30/50/200 mates at a house party etc. Doesn’t mean that massive gigs will be allowed without distancing/face coverings.

That means there would still be legal restrictions on social contact though. I think they will move the goal posts and change the plan on June 21st and lift "some" legal restrictions. 

22 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

The roadmap only specifies “legal restrictions on social contact”... that just about leaves enough wiggle room to exclude large events imo 

Why do you keep saying this? 

The roadmap clearly states “larger events” for step 4. 

3 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Not exactly. A staycation can be a self catering holiday in which you stay in that area and don't travel to and from here, there and everywhere. So you go to a an area of Cornwall or Devon and you stay in that area.

That's a holiday

1 minute ago, Havors said:

That means there would still be legal restrictions on social contact though. I think they will move the goal posts and change the plan on June 21st and lift "some" legal restrictions. 

It is an interesting one what they are going to do. I think it's looking very hard to announce though in 2.5 weeks that life will be back to normal again.

Just now, Havors said:

The social distancing rules are enacted under the Health Protection Coronavirus Regs 2021 as part of the roadmap and voted through Parliament.

The ban on mass gatherings is implemented under the Public Health (Control of Diseases) Act 1984 ordered by the Health Secretary by SI at the beginning of the pandemic last year and is not voted on, just reviewed by the Health Sec to ensure it is still needed.

They can repeal the HP Regs but keep the PH(CDA) ban in place.

1 minute ago, philipsteak said:

That's a holiday

I didn't say it wasn't. I'm saying it as what was 'termed' in the road map plan.

As for these festivals this summer. Some are really pushing it closer to the border in July without knowing for sure if it's a goer. Those numbers today can't relieve that notion either.

2 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

It is an interesting one what they are going to do. I think it's looking very hard to announce though in 2.5 weeks that life will be back to normal again.

Yeah I dont think they will. But this is the Tories... and they may say restrictions are now guidance but not legal, fend for yourselves haha 

3 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Why because there are 4.5k cases in the entire country, as per bank holiday backlog, compare to 3.5k? This is ridiculous now 

3 minutes ago, Copperface said:

The social distancing rules are enacted under the Health Protection Coronavirus Regs 2021 as part of the roadmap and voted through Parliament.

The ban on mass gatherings is implemented under the Public Health (Control of Diseases) Act 1984 ordered by the Health Secretary by SI at the beginning of the pandemic last year and is not voted on, just reviewed by the Health Sec to ensure it is still needed.

Or indeed the other way round if they mandate testing..otherwise our beloved live events industry is gone - if it doesn't really happen this summer it will be severely depleted next summer

6 minutes ago, Copperface said:

Well that is very interesting!! 

I think we are very much waiting for the results of the pilot events then? If they pass with flying colours then they lose the grounds for which it was enacted? 

33 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/may/28/covid-uk-coronavirus-cases-deaths-and-vaccinations-today

Observe case rates by age group. Oddly, 40-59 going up sharply - should have had 2 jabs by now? I suppose problem is that vaccines have a %age margin of efficacy, therefore even a few % can be measured in 1000's.

Loads of people in their 40s have only had one.

14 minutes ago, Havors said:

Well that is very interesting!! 

I think we are very much waiting for the results of the pilot events then? If they pass with flying colours then they lose the grounds for which it was enacted? 

Not really. It's wider than that. Doesn't have to be an emergency either.

It specifies that "regulations may be introduced to manage an infection which presents or could present “significant harm to human health.” "

26 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Or indeed the other way round if they mandate testing..otherwise our beloved live events industry is gone - if it doesn't really happen this summer it will be severely depleted next summer

They have the wriggle room. They have not said they will remove restrictions on large events despite saying they'll remove legal limits on social contact.

1 minute ago, Copperface said:

They have the wriggle room. They have not said they will remove restrictions on large events despite saying they'll remove legal limits on social contact.

To be fair they haven't said they're going to do anything. Excerpt below, italics mine:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-response-spring-2021/covid-19-response-spring-2021-summary

Step 4 - not before 21 June

Social contact

By Step 4 which will take place no earlier than 21 June, the government hopes to be in a position to remove all legal limits on social contact.

36 minutes ago, Havors said:

Im one of those. My 2nd is not until very early August. 

I’m 40 and my second is tomorrow. I think you’d be able to cancel and rebook it earlier now, if you wanted to.