When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

20 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

who can we blame for an extension ? 

It is 100% on Boris if it happens. Actually mad how they found a way to fumble the one thing that they have done well in their pandemic response (vaccines) at the final hurdle by importing a variant that escapes them to a much larger extent!

As many have said, we really need vaccination information for the recent hospital admissions. Are these all people who haven’t yet had, or refused the vaccine? Or are we seeing early signs that the vaccines aren’t as effective? This additional information really does have great bearing on the new data. 

And if the hospital admissions are just those who haven’t had the vaccine, then there is a very strong argument that we shouldn’t be delaying anything for this population of people, as they’ve made their own choices and now have to deal with it. 

Edited by st dan

12 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

8 weeks is next March/april/may. There is no way they start to fully remove restrictions in September leading into autumn. None at all 

‘None at all’? Hardly. The pressure from the Tory party to fully unlock once everyone is double jabbed (and with boosters around the corner) would be immense. Remember they went ahead with opening some stuff up again last December when cases were at 20,000/day, hospitals were fairly full already and nobody had been vaccinated!

2 minutes ago, st dan said:

And if the hospital admissions are just those who haven’t had the vaccine, then there is a very strong argument that we shouldn’t be delaying anything for this population of people, as they’ve made their own choices and now have to deal with it. 

whilst I agree with you .... there are still huge numbers of people that haven't had an opportunity for even one dose of the vaccine let alone 2 .... so its wether those people get thrown to whatever risk this new variant poses .... 

Having initially been sold the fact we were protecting vulnerable people who have now been double dosed (I think that’s the case isn’t it?) I’m a bit downhearted with the current stuff being touted around.

At the point where I’m really struggling to see us ever getting back to “normal”.

Bleak.

Edited by JoeyT
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, jparx said:

I feel like it’s used a lot by the right wing papers as a way to big up the UK, but actually it’s having a dig at the country as if to say you can’t have a “proper” vacation without going abroad somewhere.

Thats my thinking too, but then again in the next breath we'll be having how we're all going to have a Great British Summer rammed down out throats 

We will get back to some form of normal, it might take a little bit longer to get there. We’d rather get this last bit right and be done once and for all rather than risk a 3rd wave which would mean we’d have to go back a step. 

3 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Having initially been sold the fact we were protecting vulnerable people who have now been double dosed (I think that’s the case isn’t it?) I’m a bit downhearted with the current stuff being touted around.

At the point where I’m really struggling to see us ever getting back to “normal”.

Bleak.

wasnt it protect  the NHS ? hopefully it wont lead to any issues ... we just need to see what happens over the next few weeks to see what happens with that ... it might turn out that we are ok ? 

7 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Bleak.

Just need to stick to June 21st, and treat it like a bad flu season going forward 

11 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Bleak.

I agree - I'd have happily in mid 30s never had a vaccine and just got back to it as normal if that was an option. But no, everyone 2 doses seems to be the way we're heading 

34 minutes ago, incident said:

That's not a line that can easily be drawn, just because the gap between doses is being gradually reduced.

Worst case scenario would be 2nd week in August - realistically, it'll be much sooner than that as with the bulk of the vulnerable now protected it should be possible to reduce the gap for Pfizer and Moderna to the 3-4 weeks used in other countries. So the end of June would be a very realistic target.

If i recall correctly one of the vaccination guys on the news this morning talked about all adults over 50 having 2 jabs by July. 

4 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Wtf does some form of normal mean. Doesn’t make any sense. Everything back ASAP, settle for nothing less. 

The goalposts shifting again. If hospitals get strained then I’ll reconsider but I trust the vaccines. 

its called the roadmap isnt it ? so staged reopening ... maybe the final step might get split down into more steps  we didnt just jump to a free for all that would have been chaos .... I trust the vaccines too , 

5 minutes ago, Havors said:

If i recall correctly one of the vaccination guys on the news this morning talked about all adults over 50 having 2 jabs by July. 

To be honest that should be a minimum target - we opened booking for over 50s on March 17th - ie exactly 11 weeks ago today.. So all those that booked reasonably promptly should be done in the next week or two, even if they didn't choose to bring their second dose forward when the recommendation was changed to 8 weeks.

Just now, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Just skimming through the last few hours. Where has an eight week delay come from all of a sudden?

It's the official recommendation for anyone over 50 or vulnerable, having been changed a couple weeks ago.

15 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Wtf does some form of normal mean. Doesn’t make any sense. Everything back ASAP, settle for nothing less. 

The goalposts shifting again. If hospitals get strained then I’ll reconsider but I trust the vaccines. 

It’s a way of saying “new normal” without actually saying it. 

Just now, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Oh, ok. For a minute there I was gonna have a lie-down in a dark room. Jheeze, it's gonna get ugly over the next three weeks, isn't it?

Just occurred to me that we might be talking at cross-purposes - I was talking about the 8 week gap between doses, whereas I now suspect you might mean a potential 8 week day to reopening? In which case they can fuck right off.

9 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

its called the roadmap isnt it ? so staged reopening ... maybe the final step might get split down into more steps  we didnt just jump to a free for all that would have been chaos .... I trust the vaccines too , 

I could see that happening, I said something similar the other day where they could on June 21st allow further small loosening and hoist keep basic social distancing measures in place for another few weeks whilst more get their 2nd doses. 

7 hours ago, sjseabass said:

Yeah, but that’s due to Covid being rampant, not due to lockdown.

Lockdown and delays to other care are both symptoms of the virus spreading, the first doesn’t cause the second.

Other care is well covered they seem determined to hang onto me for as long as they can 47 days until discharge.. I'm counting down the days.

53 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

We will get back to some form of normal, it might take a little bit longer to get there. We’d rather get this last bit right and be done once and for all rather than risk a 3rd wave which would mean we’d have to go back a step. 

a new normal maybe.