When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 minute ago, JoeyT said:

I don't have the graph but pretty sure i've seen something showing that Israel did have a blip upon opening up at some point on their unlocking.

We're vaccinating at good speed now in fact even in Bristol they're ramping it up massively. So much so I had a text earlier regarding my vaccination tomorrow asking me to use a free shuttle bus service from the local park and ride because they're expecting to be so busy they won't have enough parking...

They’ve upped capacity by a third I saw on the local news yesterday at Ashton gate  and that seems similar across some other West Country sites too … so good news 🙂 and likely to be a national thing …. 

41 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

if you don't clear beds in hospitals though, there's nowhere for sick people to be admitted to. It's great to say that nobody should be discharged into care homes until tests have been undertaken, but in the early days of COVID it was a huge problem getting swabs, and  getting the results could be a couple of days in coming back. that could be a three day delay, on someone who isnt presenting with any symptoms, on a bed that at a conservative estimate would be filled within ten minutes, probably five times over. 

working under pressure like that is basically impossible. In no way am i defending Mancock here btw, i'm defending the ward staff who are supposed to craft a properly organised silk purse out of the cow's arsehole they hand us. (ok, i work in hospital discharges in Mental Health, but i'm trying to balance the debate)

This is all fair but infected patients were still being sent into care homes as late as July without being tested when the capacity was there. Possibly not as widespread as it was in March and April but it was still happening. 

29 minutes ago, ErnestWorthing said:

I can't overstate the seriousness of putting someone with covid into a care home, it's a death sentence, multiple times over.  Put them in a nightingale, put them in a hotel, put them in 10 downing street, I don't care where, you can't send people who possibly have covid into a care home.  My understanding is that this did happen though, and many people will have died unnecessarily as a result of this choice.

The sad reality is that if it was a nursing care home then unfortunately the vast majority probably wouldn’t be alive today even if covid didn’t exist. If they were send to residential care homes then it’s corporate manslaughter as far as I’m concerned. 

13 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Very true … a few weeks to find out … what I’m a bit more nervous of is that in Israel the cases really didn’t rise yet here they seem to be … presuming the difference is the Indian variant .. ? Hopefully just a small rise like we’ve seen at all stages and then a dip as more people get the jab 

It’ll roughly be 2 weeks till we see if this rise in cases is going to effect hospital admissions. This is why the 5 week period between steps was put in place. 

27 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Very true … a few weeks to find out … what I’m a bit more nervous of is that in Israel the cases really didn’t rise yet here they seem to be … presuming the difference is the Indian variant .. ? Hopefully just a small rise like we’ve seen at all stages and then a dip as more people get the jab 

didn't Israel keep lockdown restrictions until more of the population was vaccinated?

I really don’t understand this panic over cases and hospitalisations rising. What did people expect to happen when indoor mixing was allowed? 
There is nothing in the 4 tests about hospitalisations just rising, they would need to rise to a rate that risks overwhelming the NHS. 

Bolton cases seem to have peaked now. Nationally it would need to be 3 or 4 times as high as January to see similar numbers of hospitalisations and deaths. Most areas have much better rates of vaccination than Bolton, it’s really not that bad. 

I think some people have read so much fake SAGE rubbish to scoff at it that they’ve now fallen in to the trap. 

Edited by BobWillis2

8 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Admissions don’t look as scary when viewed alongside actual number of people in hospital which is staying the same... so I guess those going in aren’t staying for as long / showing as severe symptoms?

image.thumb.png.bac2019bcfb96fa240b1c312a16768ee.png

see how it is in a couple of weeks, if still low then we're good.

Infections are now going up amongst the unvaccinated age groups as predicted, and also some of the most vulnerable, i.e. those in care. This was expected, however its all on how this translates into admissions and fatalities which if the vaccine is offering reasonable protection against new variants will remain low and manageable.

There will be a 4th wave, but a different curve where infections don't translate into admissions in the same way as before. How politicians react to this on the other hand is the area of concern if you catch my drift..

Edited by Pinhead

Worrying thing is that nobody from the government has confirmed that it will only be number of hospital admissions and deaths they will consider, I do think number of positive cases will have some part to play in their evaluations. 

1 minute ago, st dan said:

Worrying thing is that nobody from the government has confirmed that it will only be number of hospital admissions and deaths they will consider, I do think number of positive cases will have some part to play in their evaluations. 

I think the number of cases is only a worry to the scientists due to the higher chance of other variants emerging within them.

Both the volunteer organisations I'm signed up with are really pushing the message that shifts are ramping up and loads more volunteers will be needed over next few weeks. So seems like there is a real vaccination push coming. Sadly I'm not going or be able to do a shift for a few weeks due to work but if anyone else had been thinking about it I think now is the time.

1 minute ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Both the volunteer organisations I'm signed up with are really pushing the message that shifts are ramping up and loads more volunteers will be needed over next few weeks. So seems like there is a real vaccination push coming. Sadly I'm not going or be able to do a shift for a few weeks due to work but if anyone else had been thinking about it I think now is the time.

yeah, I think there is a big vaccination vs variant race going on....we don't know yet but this indian variant could well fuck things up a bit.

(also, well done on the whole volunteering thing, respect.)

43 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

Infections are now going up amongst the unvaccinated age groups as predicted, and also some of the most vulnerable, i.e. those in care. This was expected, however its all on how this translates into admissions and fatalities which if the vaccine is offering reasonable protection against new variants will remain low and manageable.

There will be a 4th wave, but a different curve where infections don't translate into admissions in the same way as before. How politicians react to this on the other hand is the area of concern if you catch my drift..

Are you joking?

Half the people in Bolton hospitals had had the vaccine.

Much of what is being reported as a covid case is not actually a severe vaccine reaction

1 minute ago, chestwig said:

Are you joking?

Half the people in Bolton hospitals had had the vaccine.

Much of what is being reported as a covid case is not actually a severe vaccine reaction

I think it was 5 cases out of the 40 something wasn’t it?

Or was that stat referring to those who had both doses?

14 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

yeah, I think there is a big vaccination vs variant race going on....we don't know yet but this indian variant could well fuck things up a bit.

(also, well done on the whole volunteering thing, respect.)

Yeah it does seem so. And thanks! I'm fitting them in around work so haven't been able to do as many as I might otherwise but have managed a few since March and it's been great to get out of the house, meet people and see it happening. I've never volunteered for anything before, so has been a good experience of getting out of my comfort zone a bit.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I've never volunteered for anything before, so has been a good experience of getting out of my comfort zone a bit.

Volunteering is awesome.  Like you’ve said, it pushes you outside of your comfort zone, you get to meet new people of all different kinds and it looks bloody brilliant on your cv. 

Oh yeah... and sometimes it gets you free access to the most excellent festivals and gigs! 

15 minutes ago, stuie said:

Volunteering is awesome.  Like you’ve said, it pushes you outside of your comfort zone, you get to meet new people of all different kinds and it looks bloody brilliant on your cv. 

Oh yeah... and sometimes it gets you free access to the most excellent festivals and gigs! 

Yeah actually it has made me think twice about the whole volunteering at festivals thing. I've always thought it wasn't for me (I did get a slot for Glasto once but then gave it up when I got a resale ticket), but as the group of people who want to go with me increasingly narrows I do think I may go that way at some point. Either at Glasto or a smaller one. The perks of volunteering at a festival obviously a lot better too! Although I did get jabbed a couple of months early...