When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 minute ago, Barry Fish said:

Do only women get married ?   Idiot comment with no substance.  You seem to only comment on this thread when trying to claim a moral high ground.  I am sure women can defend themselves without you acting all knight in shining armour.   So full of yourself.

I'll comment when and where I like thank you. 

You know very little about me yet you choose to characterise me to satisfy your argument and attempt to belittle me. 

I do wonder why you choose to comment on my observation and not just ignore me? Perhaps you are ignorant of the insidious harms of sexism, or perhaps you just don't like having the mirror held up? 

12 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

I love watching the Olympics on TV so I hope it goes ahead tbh 

Somewhere else safe would be fine, but Tokyo at this point in time ( when 80% of the Japanes public dont want it to go ahead) seems a bad idea

36 minutes ago, HalfAnIdiot said:

It's quire plainly was a sexist comment and got called out as such. 

It is possible to criticise the work of an individual without making stupid comments that belong in the 1970's.

If you don't understand the damage done by casual sexism I suggest you educate yourself a little. That's not me having a go at you, it's genuine advice. 

I was referring directly to the post I quoted which was more generalised than aimed at a particular comment so to take your own advice perhaps you should educate yourself a little on how to read?

P.S that's not me having a go at you, it's genuine advice 😘

Edited by JoeyT

6 minutes ago, jparx said:

Prediction: Olympics will go ahead, be a good event with minimal/no negative Covid effects and all the noise will be for nothing. 

I wish that was true but i have my doubts, especially in terms of the Japanese public

Are they still trying to have a crowd inside for the Olympics? It sounds like that's the main problem- i imagine a country a organised as Japan could make an event like that work with no spectators, just isolating teams together, testing etc, with very little problems. It's just any insistence on an audience that makes it risky 

1 hour ago, HalfAnIdiot said:

It's quire plainly was a sexist comment and got called out as such. 

It is possible to criticise the work of an individual without making stupid comments that belong in the 1970's.

If you don't understand the damage done by casual sexism I suggest you educate yourself a little. That's not me having a go at you, it's genuine advice. 

What was sexist about it? 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, jparx said:

Prediction: Olympics will go ahead, be a good event with minimal/no negative Covid effects and all the noise will be for nothing. 

Quite possibly... probably depends on how bad things are in Japan at the time. 

I know under totally different circumstances  but many in London were against the Olympics being held there and that turned out to be a massive success.

17 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Are they still trying to have a crowd inside for the Olympics? It sounds like that's the main problem- i imagine a country a organised as Japan could make an event like that work with no spectators, just isolating teams together, testing etc, with very little problems. It's just any insistence on an audience that makes it risky 

Japan has had fans at various events on and off since last summer, and it’s largely been a success. It comes down to if they can get on top of the variant they’ve got over there. If they end vaccinating all the over 60s by July as per their goal, and the emergency measures start to work, it could look a whole lot better come the summer.

On 5/22/2021 at 3:41 PM, jimmillen said:

I disagreed almost entirely with Cummings’ approach whilst an advisor, not to mention Barnard’s flippin Castle. Something of a mental whiplash he now seems to be talking a lot of sense... 😒 Why can’t people just stay as one dimensional caricatures dammit?

Cummings is a dangerous combination of someone who is both smarter than pretty much everyone else in Westminster but also not as smart as he thinks he is.

On 5/23/2021 at 10:01 AM, Chapple12345 said:

I get caution is needed, but I do feel its very now or never for reopening, there hasn't been as good an opportunity to reopen as we're in now. I do genuinely wonder if they would want the world to reopen as it is, especially as they constantly change the goalposts and shoot down any kind of good news or optimism 

Can you explain that? Why it's now or never? The argument for reopening today is strong, but it's undoubtedly going to be be safer tomorrow. It'll be even safer next week. Even safer a month after that. The more we vaccinate, the safer it'll get. Both on a national and international level.Obviously we can always be waiting for the next milestone (everyone with one dose, everyone with two doses, everyone with a booster, kids, etc.) so we have to pick our moment - and there are disagreements as to when that moment should be, but I can't understand how it can possibly be "now or never". Or indeed, how you can seriously think "never" is even an option.

On 5/23/2021 at 10:28 AM, eFestivals said:

Remember back when some people said there was no way a major festival could go ahead at the end of June and some (me) said he expected the situation go be good enough by the end of June that it could have gone ahead.... Looks like my take is going to be right as all restrictions look like they'll end on 21st June.

I don't think so - at least not without the sort of testing requirements that wouldn't be feasible for an event the size of Glastonbury.

I think it's where the festival group think kicks in here - we can see it easily from the way people here, even those that want everything dropped right now, are still saying "we should probably still have restrictions on international travel though". For the rest of the population it's similar but it's "we should probably still have restrictions on events of 50000+ people though". 

Glastonbury is the largest mass-gathering in the country, there's no way it'd go ahead a few days after restrictions were "lifted" - even if the government had to invent a special case for why.

On 5/21/2021 at 11:13 PM, Zoo Music Girl said:

I've just been to an event! Live podcast comedy thing. Didn't make it to any socially distanced things last year due to being more on the cautious side, but it was a lot of fun (if a bit weird and dystopian at times with the masks and distancing). Big step for me, though! 

Was that Parapod Live by any chance?

6 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

I don't think so - at least not without the sort of testing requirements that wouldn't be feasible for an event the size of Glastonbury.

I think it's where the festival group think kicks in here - we can see it easily from the way people here, even those that want everything dropped right now, are still saying "we should probably still have restrictions on international travel though". For the rest of the population it's similar but it's "we should probably still have restrictions on events of 50000+ people though". 

Glastonbury is the largest mass-gathering in the country, there's no way it'd go ahead a few days after restrictions were "lifted" - even if the government had to invent a special case for why.

This is so true - I'm even starting to have a moral debate with myself over whether these events should go ahead - but then i remember the livelihoods that are not being properly supported by the government.

The obvious answer was always to promise to prop up the events industry but just say "sorry, not this year". The government have made a huge mess for themselves by announcing 21st June phase of the roadmap instead of "let's see where we are after the May reopening"

I just hope people don't pay with their lives. Same for international travel

43 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Vaccination wise is it worth gambling by cancelling my appointment in order to try and get one sooner or is the risk bigger than the reward?

Has anyone else tried similar?

Anyone got any tips?

I cancelled my original appointment and now can't get one within 30 miles. ffs.

5 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Anyone got any tips?

I’ve left my second one alone for this reason. I’m not in a major rush to get fully jabbed and the timing and location for my second one is convenient. I know I could get it done earlier but I’m happy waiting. 

2 minutes ago, balthazarstarbuck said:

Only to keep refreshing the page, as earlier ones can appear. Sister-in-law got one 10 days earlier that way.

It's a proper ball ache.

Different center's pop up each time I refresh and basically show appointments which don't actually exist 😂

Is there a time of day which is better than other times or?

8 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Anyone got any tips?

Try 119? Just keep trying?

I did something similar when trying to bring forward my 2nd dose, couldn't get anywhere earlier and closer....but eventually after I got a text about moving it I got one easily.

1 minute ago, mcshed said:

Finally, not a day goes by without some Vaccine blue envelopes appearing on my local Facebook page as delivered to the wrong address and that sort of nonsense would only get worse when they get down to the younger ones.

If you're over 30 and not had yours you can try the missing appointment web page and it might work for you- it worked for my brother. 

The blue envelopes was a good idea for the oldies but I agree would much rather just an online booking system and texts for the younger ones.