Jump to content

When will this shit end?


Chrisp1986

Recommended Posts

31 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

No. No they're not. They want it over as much as you do. 

Can you not comprehend the fact that they might just be people with a more negative outlook, that are worried? Especially given they've been saying "we should be more cautious" to every single thing since March 2020 and up until March 2021 they were completely right, and the government and their scientific advisers were completely wrong.

"Fake" SAGE have been proven right more than they've been proven wrong in this whole thing. And yes, there's a chance that maybe they're right again. You're so desperate to believe that they're not, because *you* can't countenance another lockdown, that you've invented some crazy fantasy world where they're doing it because they're scared of not getting any media coverage when the pandemic goes away. Rather than the idea that they're just worried the government and their advisors have got it wrong again. Like they have at every single point up to here.

And y'know, I agree with you! I think it'll all be fine, and with the vaccine the variants won't be a problem! I just don't think someone with a different opinion is so crazy that I have to ascribe some sort of weird capitalist motivation to it.

It's uncomfortable for you because you *have* to be right this time. Because you don't know how you'll deal with another lockdown. But if you look back and ask yourself honestly, how many times have you been sure during this pandemic it was going to go one way, and it went the other? 

It hurts to even contemplate what a variant that escaped the vaccine would actually mean to our lives. I think it would totally destroy the mental health of a lot of us - hence why we don't even really countenance it as an option. And why 99% of the time I let you get away with your bull-headedness. Because I don't want to ruin your day by making you ask yourself "what if I'm wrong?". But then sometimes, like here, you cross the line and it just has to be called out.

@Fuzzy Afroyou need to wind your kneck in and do it now as you're not presenting yourself well at all.

  • Downvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

At the very least wait til everyone is vaccinated. And keeping the borders closed might help.

That's definitely moving the goalposts. 

We will have the over 50s fully vaccinate by middle of June. Enough is enough. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

Good jaysus...I'm seen some mental stuff posted in this thread, but this one takes the biscuit! 🤣

Generally speaking, scientists don't get paid for interviews in the media (I've never been, I get paid for other things outside of my main job, like advisory boards etc, but not media work). Don't get me wrong, I disagree with the mathematicians dipping their toes in biology they don't seem to fully understand (I don't see virologists/immunologists/molecular biologists & infectious disease experts falling over themselves about variants...keep an eye on them sure, but all evidence so far is still pointing in the right direction), but to suggest that the "entire scientific community" wants this to continue so we can keep making vast profits as talking heads is laughable. I'd like this to be over and done with tomorrow please, so that I can get on with my life and my work...

Honestly mate, it's nearly (mostly) over. Relax!

 

33 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

No. No they're not. They want it over as much as you do. 

Can you not comprehend the fact that they might just be people with a more negative outlook, that are worried? Especially given they've been saying "we should be more cautious" to every single thing since March 2020 and up until March 2021 they were completely right, and the government and their scientific advisers were completely wrong.

"Fake" SAGE have been proven right more than they've been proven wrong in this whole thing. And yes, there's a chance that maybe they're right again. You're so desperate to believe that they're not, because *you* can't countenance another lockdown, that you've invented some crazy fantasy world where they're doing it because they're scared of not getting any media coverage when the pandemic goes away. Rather than the idea that they're just worried the government and their advisors have got it wrong again. Like they have at every single point up to here.

And y'know, I agree with you! I think it'll all be fine, and with the vaccine the variants won't be a problem! I just don't think someone with a different opinion is so crazy that I have to ascribe some sort of weird capitalist motivation to it.

It's uncomfortable for you because you *have* to be right this time. Because you don't know how you'll deal with another lockdown. But if you look back and ask yourself honestly, how many times have you been sure during this pandemic it was going to go one way, and it went the other? 

It hurts to even contemplate what a variant that escaped the vaccine would actually mean to our lives. I think it would totally destroy the mental health of a lot of us - hence why we don't even really countenance it as an option. And why 99% of the time I let you get away with your bull-headedness. Because I don't want to ruin your day by making you ask yourself "what if I'm wrong?". But then sometimes, like here, you cross the line and it just has to be called out.

Well said on both accounts.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Most people don't follow Christina Pagel on twitter, most people just get their news from mainstream media...papers and tv. I don't know, but I think most people would rather we cautiously reopened while we continue to vaccinate, instead of more chaos like we had previously...in and out of lockdowns, tiers, hospitals struggling, people dying etc.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

@Fuzzy Afroyou need to wind your kneck in and do it now as you're not presenting yourself well at all.

Where’s Alanis Morissette when you need her?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

This thread needs locking now imo.

The thread is a hive of shit with the occasional great post but while this is the dominant topic that is affecting the world people are going to want to talk about it.
 

If this thread was locked another one would soon pop up. At least the shit is contained within this thread and you can avoid it if you want to.

It’s a shame you can’t block threads from view like you can block users. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

The bizarre thing is though, those voices are mostly being amplified by those who want to shout loudly about how wrong they are. It's happening even on here, it's far worse on Twitter - just quoting these people and going "WRONG AGAIN" or what not. All the properly negative takes on this thread are being posted by people who are then rubbishing them. 

The reason that is happening, is these people are secretly scared that they might be right, and every time they post something like "FAKE SAGE AT IT AGAIN" and an article with a negative outlook, they're looking for other people to chime and go "yeah, they're wrong, here's why" and re-assure them that everything will be okay.

That's what seems to help their mental health, but the side effect is amplifying those voices which can have an impact on the mental health of others. 

No you are wrong...

I read all sort of stuff from all ends of this debate and I am fine with it all and take it all onboard.  But FAKE SAGE and Christina in particularly do go seriously over the top for some unknown reason.

To say we amplify it by daring to point it out is Tory level sleeve cover up stuff 😛 "Nothing to see here"

Edited by Barry Fish
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Surely the % of unvaccinated all catching it almost once is still a pretty high absolute number? The knock on effect for cancer treatment etc as well from the NHS having to deal with this again. 

Obviously any delays need to be backed up by financial help and people need to be properly paid to isolate, which I'd imagine is a big problem in the likes of Bolton  

But the unvaccinated are the young, and they're already unlikely to be hospitalised

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We are talking VERY low number anyway of cases. As below, its still going down week on week

The number of people testing positive for Covid-19 in England has fallen to the lowest level since the beginning of September.

A total of 14,313 people tested positive for the virus at least once in the week to 5 May, according to the latest Test and Trace figures.

This is down 9% on the previous week and the lowest number since the week to 2 September 2020.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, squirrelarmy said:

The thread is a hive of shit with the occasional great post but while this is the dominant topic that is affecting the world people are going to want to talk about it.
 

If this thread was locked another one would soon pop up. At least the shit is contained within this thread and you can avoid it if you want to.

It’s a shame you can’t block threads from view like you can block users. 

Yeh I know, it was more an off hand comment.  I have enjoyed this thread espcially during my low points as its provided an outlet to talk about what's going on etc.

However in my opinion its recently decended into bitching and name calling too much between the same few people and has lost its original spirit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

That's not what he's saying. He's saying the government shouldn't have included the June 21 date at all and that it should have been noted for May 17th and anything further would be mentioned further on etc etc.

No he hasn't put this but I've read between the lines. There is no need to come across to people a bit like it's slander.

I have always been all for everyone being vaccined that could be before things go back to normal and imo if vaccines are now okay for under 18s or safe and they delay that process as they now have evidence of safety for it then so be it. 

In your opinion. Everyone who was vulnerable has already been vaccinated at least 1 does, large amount 2 doses now. There is little to no reason for under 18's to need a vaccination for something that is practically harmless to them. 

Like I have said, the vaccine apparently works. Incredibly well. So not opening back up come June 21st will be completely illogical.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

Yeh I know, it was more an off hand comment.  I have enjoyed this thread espcially during my low points as its provided an outlet to talk about what's going on etc.

However in my opinion its recently decended into bitching and name calling too much between the same few people and has lost its original spirit.

It’s divided now between those who wants their lives back (who are apparently selfish bastards) and those who think we should stay home for another year, just in case. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

 Most people don't follow Christina Pagel on twitter, most people just get their news from mainstream media...papers and tv. I don't know, but I think most people would rather we cautiously reopened while we continue to vaccinate, instead of more chaos like we had previously...in and out of lockdowns, tiers, hospitals struggling, people dying etc.

Hence we have been locked down now for over 5 months... this is and has been very cautious. Sensibly so in my opinion... but all restrictions lifting on June 21st needs to happen (or close to it) or its all been a waste of time. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

I have always been all for everyone being vaccined that could be before things go back to normal and imo if vaccines are now okay for under 18s or safe and they delay that process as they now have evidence of safety for it then so be it. 

You call someone else selfish while being selfish yourself...

Its okay for you to say we should wait before releasing restrictions on pubs...  its not your livelihood and finances at stake I would imagine.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

 Most people don't follow Christina Pagel on twitter, most people just get their news from mainstream media...papers and tv. I don't know, but I think most people would rather we cautiously reopened while we continue to vaccinate, instead of more chaos like we had previously...in and out of lockdowns, tiers, hospitals struggling, people dying etc.

Christina is constantly on the likes of Sky News etc

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, stuie said:

It’s divided now between those who wants their lives back (who are apparently selfish bastards) and those who think we should stay home for another year, just in case. 

I'm in the former camp.

Anymore lockdowns and my mental health will slide even further south than it has done already.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wait until everyone is vaccinated...

So we need the trial to conclude in 2+ age bracket...  and then everyone in the country to have two doses...

So back to normal in Feb 2022 ? 

And the hope Christina doesn't get upset about another variant that's popped up ?

Reality is we need to take risks...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Havors said:

Hence we have been locked down now for over 5 months... this is and has been very cautious. Sensibly so in my opinion... but all restrictions lifting on June 21st needs to happen (or close to it) or its all been a waste of time. 

If opening everything too early causes a surge in cases then the lockdown will have been a waste of time. Another few weeks of being cautious if needed isn’t going to be that life changing. Indoor activities are starting next week so those people who are needing social activity can start to get it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Havors said:

Hence we have been locked down now for over 5 months... this is and has been very cautious. Sensibly so in my opinion... but all restrictions lifting on June 21st needs to happen (or close to it) or its all been a waste of time. 

well, yeah, hopefully...we'll see... I wouldn't be surprised if some restrictions are kept in place until everyone has been fully vaccinated.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Is it ironic if someone who has wound their neck in considerably in recent times tells someone else to do the same?

I don’t spend enough time on here to keep up with every user, just going by the rep.

2 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

I'm in the former camp.

Anymore lockdowns and my mental health will slide even further south than it has done already.

Exactly. But apparently I should be ashamed of myself! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

If opening everything too early causes a surge in cases then the lockdown will have been a waste of time. Another few weeks of being cautious if needed isn’t going to be that life changing. Indoor activities are starting next week so those people who are needing social activity can start to get it. 

They wouldn’t be if fake SAGE had their way 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

22 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

That's not what he's saying. He's saying the government shouldn't have included the June 21 date at all and that it should have been noted for May 17th and anything further would be mentioned further on etc etc.

No he hasn't put this but I've read between the lines. There is no need to come across to people a bit like it's slander.

I have always been all for everyone being vaccined that could be before things go back to normal and imo if vaccines are now okay for under 18s or safe and they delay that process as they now have evidence of safety for it then so be it. 

That is indeed what I meant! And any further easing would've been a nice surprise, a bonus. 

12 minutes ago, ErnestWorthing said:

But the unvaccinated are the young, and they're already unlikely to be hospitalised

Absolute numbers of younger people in one area catching a (potentially) 60% higher transmissible virus takes the small % who need hospital treatment and turns it into a higher absolute number. Move them to another hospital? Yes but eventually they'll be in the same situation. 

 That then causes overload of the hospital and stops potentially heart attacks etc being treated, kicks off another load of in hospital transmission for people who go in with other things etc 

A scenario we may well be sleepwalking into, but we don't know yet. This doesn't even involve June 21st this'll happen before that date if its going to

I've been very much up for opening up quickly and if it wasn't for the potential of this variant causing these problems I still would be as it was all looking fine - it's just this new development which has made me take a step back and look at it.

If we extend by a few weeks to get more data, it could stop us having to have another set of restrictions for a few months and then it's winter, so really until next spring.

Had we not let this variant in, we'd be able to open up here. The announcement of the green list before any review of social distancing and rules here shows their priorities.

Edited by efcfanwirral
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...