When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

24 minutes ago, Paul ™ said:

He's not been involved for many years now, 2012 am sure.

He is a chairman of the advisory board at Wembley still, he resigned as another role there too.

He's quoted on this https://www.gov.uk/government/news/festival-republic-joins-government-pilot-programme-with-a-live-gig-to-trial-the-safe-return-of-fans so looks like some involvement with the government scheme (at least for the gig part)

33 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Wrong.

It’s 90%+ in the UK

Allow me to answer from the perspective of, you know, having actually spent meaningful time in both countries. 

It was even immediately visible at airports. I saw plenty of staff not wearing masks at both Heathrow and Gatwick including even customs' people. This would be unthinkable over here.

And in shops over Christmas and Easter in the UK most wore masks in the UK but certainly not all. A lot of people had them under their chin or at very least over their mouth not their nose. Whereas in shops here the compliance is pretty much 100% and they wear them properly. 

It's just a bit of cloth to wear temporarily and for most for a small fraction of the day. It's not taking people's freedoms away.

Edited by xxialac

2 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Allow me to answer from the perspective of, you know, having actually spent meaningful time in both countries. 

It was even immediately visible at airports. I saw plenty of staff not wearing masks at both Heathrow and Gatwick including even customs' people. This would be unthinkable over here.

And in shops over Christmas and Easter in the UK most wore masks in the UK but certainly not all. A lot of people had them under their chin or at very least over their mouth not their nose. Whereas in shops here the compliance is pretty much 100% and they wear them properly. 

It's just a bit of cloth to wear temporarily and for most for a small fraction of the day. It's not taking people's freedoms away.

You really trying to suggest the chin warming face nappy is not a thing in the EU ?  Because you are talking first class bollocks if you are 🙂 

12 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

He's quoted on this https://www.gov.uk/government/news/festival-republic-joins-government-pilot-programme-with-a-live-gig-to-trial-the-safe-return-of-fans so looks like some involvement with the government scheme (at least for the gig part)

Sorry I thought you meant Glastonbury.

Yes he was pressing the UK government to do an outdoor gig, so he got one to do.

That's about all he is involved with, apart from being quite in with some Tory MPs 

6 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Here you go...

If this is provable then this is very serious, I’d agree with the SNP that he would have to resign. No leader of a country could say something like this at any time. It also makes his slow actions in December make more sense now. 

3 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

If this is provable then this is very serious, I’d agree with the SNP that he would have to resign. No leader of a country could say something like this at any time. It also makes his slow actions in December make more sense now. 

There is another way of looking at it.  We let 20,000 people die of Flu every year by not having lockdowns.  Aren't his comments similar ? 

I think I can understand the outburst personally.  At some point we have to learn to live with deaths from Covid.  I wouldn't want to see a third lockdown.

Edited by Barry Fish

Just now, Barry Fish said:

There is another way of looking at it.  We let 20,000 people die of Flu every year by not having lockdowns.  Aren't his comments similar ? 

Without full context it’s hard to say but in the middle of a pandemic that had by that stage killed thousands the PM shouldn’t be making those comments. If the PM would rather see bodies pile up then I’d say he isn’t the right person to be PM in a pandemic. 

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

Without full context it’s hard to say but in the middle of a pandemic that had by that stage killed thousands the PM shouldn’t be making those comments. If the PM would rather see bodies pile up then I’d say he isn’t the right person to be PM in a pandemic. 

It was said after ordering the December lockdown - so not sure the accusation stands up.   Actions > Words

Edited by Barry Fish

28 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Just out of interest is there any exemption from facemasks ? I think that might be our issue here ... 

14 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

I think I can understand the outburst personally.  At some point we have to learn to live with deaths from Covid.  I wouldn't want to see a third lockdown.

TBH any PM who said that about any public health situation in any context should be out on their ear immediately

1 hour ago, DeanoL said:

So we are a few weeks into pubs being allowed to open outside, for those that have gone, what's demand like? Was it hard to find a slot for a table to book? Was everything full? Were there queues?

Genuinely intrigued, as the nice weather means its the best possible circumstances for this sort of thing, so if people were right with the idea of everyone being desperate to get back to normal then getting a table at a pub should have been like trying to get Glasto tickets. If demand was merely just a little over supply it suggests there's still a fair amount of hesitancy out there.

Manchester's been alright if you know where to look and get a bit lucky here and there, I haven't booked anywhere and am fairly deep in my overdraft thanks to the last couple of weeks. I did queue for near enough an hour to get into YES Saturday afternoon but its one of the better spots for a bit of craic with those around you so I didn't mind and just stayed there long enough to make the hour wait worth it. 

5 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

It was said after ordering the December lockdown - so not sure the accusation stands up.   Actions > Words

It explains why the PM took so long to put us into the 3rd lockdown at the end of December though and gives key insight into his thought process at the time. He was happy at one stage to see bodies pile up so delayed the 3rd lockdown when it was needed at least 7-10 days earlier which sadly would’ve caused more fatalities.

Just now, crazyfool1 said:

Just out of interest is there any exemption from facemasks ? I think that might be our issue here ... 

The times people don't wear them are:

• eating and drinking
  • exercising
  • being on the beach
  • being at home  

As a result prob spend 5% of my day wearing one, it's really no big deal.

2 minutes ago, xxialac said:

The times people don't wear them are:

• eating and drinking
  • exercising
  • being on the beach
  • being at home  

As a result prob spend 5% of my day wearing one, it's really no big deal.

I meant medical exemption ? Which is questionable at best for quite a few people not wearing them inside ... 

1 minute ago, crazyfool1 said:

I meant medical exemption ? Which is questionable at best for quite a few people not wearing them inside ... 

I don't know about that. I simply don't see anyone not wearing them (including people who are clearly in their late 80s or 90s).

1 minute ago, xxialac said:

I don't know about that. I simply don't see anyone not wearing them (including people who are clearly in their late 80s or 90s).

We have exemption for medical reasons here ... I think it stems from a disability discrimination act ... someone correct me if I’m wrong ... but requires no proof ... and unfortunately it’s abused ... and is more of a issue  for people not wearing them I would say