When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

As someone who works in the hospitality sector it'd be an absolute pain in the arse if these dates were moved, however good it might be for profits. They've given these dates and all the suppliers, contracts, staff, ecosystems etc have been lined up accordingly and according to the bookings/expected capacity. Going "surprise! you can open a week early!" without decent notice would be a total shitshow for a lot of places who'd end up scrabbling around in a panic to sort stuff out. Not fun.

10 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

As European countries debate whether, or how, to introduce so-called 'vaccine passports', Israel introduced its "Green Pass" system in February - and it's had a dramatic effect on the country. 

Having inoculated more than half of its 9 million population, Israel's app-based scheme allows people to show whether they have been inoculated against COVID-19 or if they have some level of immunity after contracting the virus.

While museums and malls remain open to anyone, Israelis now have to use the app to check in at swimming pools, restaurants, cafes, sports stadiums, and cultural venues like cinemas.

5 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

As someone who works in the hospitality sector it'd be an absolute pain in the arse if these dates were moved, however good it might be for profits. They've given these dates and all the suppliers, contracts, staff, ecosystems etc have been lined up accordingly and according to the bookings/expected capacity. Going "surprise! you can open a week early!" without decent notice would be a total shitshow for a lot of places who'd end up scrabbling around in a panic to sort stuff out. Not fun.

Good points, it's the certainty of the dates that would give businesses confidence in pressing ahead with their plans in theory. It also gives extra confidence to those businesses if the numbers are still really low 10 days before the next stage.

14 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Data wouldn’t be low enough for you?

I don’t understand why if the data was this low you wouldn’t be happy to move things earlier?

It’s absolutely baffling.

I'd be happy to, but constantly saying that the government should is pointless. It ain't going to happen. 

Trust me I was as disappointed as you when I saw the 5 week intervals, but they're there whether we like it or not.

27 minutes ago, barcelonista1899 said:

RE Chile vs. Israel the Guardian article mentions that Chile has been administering both Pfizer and Sinopharm vaccines, and from what I'm hearing from other countries where Sinopharm has been used a lot, I'm not sure how effective the latter actually is.. 

The question would be how good is the Sinopharm against the brazilian variant which in Chile seems to become the dominant one. Maybe this with a false security feeling and social indifferences (many people living on tiny spaces) could also explain the rise in cases there.

6 hours ago, theevilfridge said:

This argument did make me pause for thought back in the first wave, considering the similarities in case rate changes across countries with wildly different policies on lockdown (or lack of). But looking at the graphs before, during and after the England November lockdown completely convinced me that it is a massive factor.

The Lockdowns successfully reduced very high case rates in November and after the Christmas re-opening.

It may be that the rate of increase in case numbers (the R number) was already coming down when Lockdown started, but the cases were still at a level that need to be tackled before the NHS collapsed.

The case rate and the "R" number are two different things.

9 minutes ago, killyourtv said:

The Lockdowns successfully reduced very high case rates in November and after the Christmas re-opening.

It may be that the rate of increase in case numbers (the R number) was already coming down when Lockdown started, but the cases were still at a level that need to be tackled before the NHS collapsed.

The Lockdowns? Second on John Peel on the Friday in 2014 IIRC.

• Upvote 3

23 minutes ago, killyourtv said:

Well sure, but that’s just another way of saying that lockdowns helped R to reduce more steeply. And the likelihood is that taking action earlier could’ve stopped the case rates getting so high in the first place.

2 hours ago, jannybruck said:

Whilst I'm not disputing it would be a pain, I don't think it's reason enough to deny hard hit businesses the chance to open 1 or 2 weeks early. 

Unfortunately I don't think there's a hope that they'll bring it forward though, irrespective of what the data is telling us. 

41 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Just wondering if those rabidly afraid of covid passports have dumped Facebook their job their banka accounts and their phones and refuse to associate withe people who have those things which carry all the same risks as they put on covid passports.

Yep it's madness...it's like ID cards ...it seems the only people opposed are the ones with something to hide

1 minute ago, Barry Fish said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/2021/04/06/children-have-lacked-discipline-order-lockdown-warns-gavin-williamson/

It's good that the massive issue inside our schools is being recognised.  Less good its being written  about by the very prick who has largely contributed to the issue and in a way that is putting blame everywhere but on himself.

Kids have hugely been let down and teachers are struggling like hell with the fall out. 

The kids aren't okay.  It's just not true when people say kids just adapt.  It's a lie 

Williamson can go fuck himself

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Just wondering if those rabidly afraid of covid passports have dumped Facebook their job their banka accounts and their phones and refuse to associate withe people who have those things which carry all the same risks as they put on covid passports.

You've just made the point you claim not to see, anyone using Facebook, a smartphone or using a bank has the choice not to do so, you decide for yourself what the risk and benefit is, a centrally linked ID system controlled by the government takes all your choices away, you are left at the mercy of government policy, THEY decide where you can go and under what conditions. This government has consistently lied throughout this crisis, you yourself criticise "Spaffer" at every turn but you think he and the rest can be trusted to limit this new power and run this system fairly and proportionately, they can't and shouldn't be allowed to.

• Upvote 1

On 4/5/2021 at 7:26 PM, gizmoman said:

It's the first mRNA "vaccine" (it's not even a vaccine in the usual sense), and the first time an experimental vaccine has been used on such a large scale, there are theoretical long term dangers, hopefully they won't come to pass, but as the blood clotting issue shows, not all the possible side affects were realised during the limited trials, anyone who thinks this isn't an ongoing experiment is naive.

Except AZ isn’t an MRNA vaccine and that’s the one with the blood clotting issue.

On 4/5/2021 at 8:08 PM, JBarbour said:

My risk of getting covid is so slim, its a difficult decision for me to get a jab when there are unknowns. As I previously said I may get it when I'm offered it in a few months or I may need more time to feel comfortable with the decision. 

Your risk of getting it is very high. Your risk of dying from it is very low. And the truth is we don’t actually know what other effects  asymptomatic infections could have. People with asymptomatic COVID could be dying of blood clots at the same rate as those taking the vaccine and we wouldn’t even know as people die from clots and we wouldn’t even know they had COVID. No research has really been done on asymptomatic cases as without mass testing they’re very hard to detect 

9 hours ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Because that’s how herd immunity works, the herd protect the unvaccinated. That’s why medically exempt people don’t catch measles all the time. 

We are not getting to herd immunity with a vaccine that only drops the spread by 60%.

The measles vaccine is much better at that. It’s constantly been said the best case for COVID is for it to end up like the flu- how many people do you know that get through life and never get flu?

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, gizmoman said:

You've just made the point you claim not to see, anyone using Facebook, a smartphone or using a bank has the choice not to do so, you decide for yourself what the risk and benefit is, a centrally linked ID system controlled by the government takes all your choices away, you are left at the mercy of government policy, THEY decide where you can go and under what conditions. This government has consistently lied throughout this crisis, you yourself criticise "Spaffer" at every turn but you think he and the rest can be trusted to limit this new power and run this system fairly and proportionately, they can't and shouldn't be allowed to.

So you think Spaffer wants to stop you going to the pub to sound a bit less insane care to share what you think he gains from that? There's already govtdatabases used fairly and proportionately a(hmrc/nhs)they don't need to create something new tobbevevil if evil is their desire.

Edited by eFestivals