When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

One thing I don't get is this:

"The government said certificates showing vaccination, test or immunity status could "provide reassurance"."

In terms of immunity, is just saying you've had it enough? Would you just have to show evidence of a positive test in the past? Loads of people in the early days couldn't get tested and no one knows how long immunity lasts yet do they? Suppose you could say the same for the vaccines on that though.

Just now, Zoo Music Girl said:

"The government said certificates showing vaccination, test or immunity status could "provide reassurance"."

In terms of immunity, is just saying you've had it enough? Would you just have to show evidence of a positive test in the past? Loads of people in the early days couldn't get tested and no one knows how long immunity lasts yet do they? Suppose you could say the same for the vaccines on that though.

I think it would be linked to the NHS app which would show proof of a positive result or it’s just on trust?

Just now, Zoo Music Girl said:

I believe that a certificate showing vaccination or negative test is okay. But without the vaccine, for everytime you go somewhere you basically repeat the isolation process I'd expect blah blah and it's just not worth it.

3 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

I believe that a certificate showing vaccination or negative test is okay. But without the vaccine, for everytime you go somewhere you basically repeat the isolation process I'd expect blah blah and it's just not worth it.

I'm just questioning the third option there - immunity rather than test or vaccination. I know all just speculation right now, but just wondering what kind of proof that would require given we still don't know that much about how long immunity lasts and loads of people won't have proof they've had it.

4 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I think it would be linked to the NHS app which would show proof of a positive result or it’s just on trust?

I think I read somewhere that you'd have to have taken an antibody test in order to use the app from a testing point of view.

I may be incorrect on that though...

14 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

If they so they are stupid. Until they do it I doubt any of us are going on holiday.

Dont confuse a vaccine passport to travel abroad with a vaccine certificate to get into a restaurant. 

6 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I'm just questioning the third option there - immunity rather than test or vaccination. I know all just speculation right now, but just wondering what kind of proof that would require given we still don't know that much about how long immunity lasts and loads of people won't have proof they've had it.

That's why I think it's very borderline it happens. How can you allow people someone where 90k congregate but you can't allowed planes of upto say 55 passengers going to separate countries, resorts etc etc. And some of those resorts will be no worse off than us given Spain is probably the most attended holiday destination. I mean you won't be getting to Italy or France this year.

27 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

21 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Positive test in the last 6 months I read. 

8 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Okay...  you have got me...  I don't get the difference either lol

Vaccine passports are vaccine only - so you shut out younger people. They are highly discriminatory.

Covid passports - you need to prove you don’t have covid, which can either be by vaccine, immunity or a lateral flow test. Nothing wrong with that imo. 

One of the independent sage people is absolutely on one at the minute on the news. I’m not in the “nerds wanting to keep us locked down forever” camp, but people like this are part of the reason why that sentiment has risen massively. You’re making a very niche argument if you think step 2 going ahead is a bad move and not being cautious enough.

9BDA956A-BD57-4F90-A4D8-4F1D88EAEF80.thumb.jpeg.7895a3ae0f9751480e9bed6f90e5e592.jpeg

Taken from The Daily Mail (sorry) but surely this is a load of old rubbish. With high population mixing they are forecasting that more people would die per day in July than January, despite the warmer weather, and more importantly the huge vaccination rollout since then. 
Surely the only way this can be given any time of day is if the vaccines aren’t as effective as they are stating ...

Also she makes the argument that with the traffic light system, people going to green countries will be mixing with those from other amber/red countries at resorts etc, but it’s widely accepted you’ll need a vaccine to travel internationally anyway so you’d only be mixing with, say, French people in Greece who are also vaccinated. Or am I missing something?

7 minutes ago, jparx said:

One of the independent sage people is absolutely on one at the minute on the news. I’m not in the “nerds wanting to keep us locked down forever” camp, but people like this are part of the reason why that sentiment has risen massively. You’re making a very niche argument if you think step 2 going ahead is a bad move and not being cautious enough.

They are just worried which I can understand but at some point we are going to have to relax things further and move on. If we don’t then we’ll never know what exactly things will be like. Fortunately the data does indicate it’s ok to move to step 2 and we shouldn’t see too much of an impact. 

1 hour ago, Barry Fish said:

The problem for Labour is the debate seems to be going down the path of we either do Covid passports or we all keep wearing masks and distancing.

So what is Labours third way ? 

Maybe that's why there's such a heavy load of briefing today about it lasting for so long - to push support to the certification idea after such a backlash over the weekend? I've got a feeling the real story could be along the lines of "whitty and valance want social distancing for the next year unless there's a mitigation measure in place"

Edited by efcfanwirral
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, jparx said:

Step 2 going ahead is how we get the data we need.

Personally, with this talk on modelling, I'm concerned that the roadmap was actually based on us smashing through the vaccination targets and finishing early, leaving virtually all the adult population vaccinated by the time all restrictions are lifted. 

We've all managed to get blasé about cases rising with schools not being quite enough to bring R over 1 and the other easing of restrictions being pretty inconsequential.  Within a week or two of step 2 beginning, we're finally going have some real data to compare against the dates.  Hopefully the vaccine effect will keep cases rises reasonably low - and serious illness very low (but we won't find out about that as soon)

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

They are just worried which I can understand but at some point we are going to have to relax things further and move on. If we don’t then we’ll never know what exactly things will be like. Fortunately the data does indicate it’s ok to move to step 2 and we shouldn’t see too much of an impact. 

The main issue I have is that they are worried about things they have never seen play out before in the real world, so they have no experience to go off despite their obvious knowledge in the field.
What happened to talk of herd immunity, which we are now quickly approaching? 
How do they know what will happen once vaccinated people start mixing again? Like you said, the only way to find out is to crack on with the roadmap, which is what it looks like Johnson will do.