When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 hour ago, JoeyT said:

Well the news this morning certainly has a negative tone to it.

It seems that just when we get a whiff of normality it gets kicked further down the road. We were promised everything would be driven by data, data we all have access to, data which clearly shows we aren’t on course to a SAGE doomsday scenario yet we are suckerpunced by vaccine passports amongst other things which suggest otherwise.

With that in mind please do reach out if you are struggling with your mental health during this period.

The government and those advising them are showing scant regard for this but there is plenty of help out there, don’t be afraid to take the first step.

I think the news were not really new, at least not unexpected or what people already knew.

I don`t get this doom and gloom mentality. German Health Minister Jens Spahn told yesterday that even with a full vaccination rollout governments would have to be cautious, because of the variants. Maybe people are expecting too much.

I understand that the industry wants to have a fast approach, especially with travel and mass events, but thats not possible, at least not at the moment. BoJo can`t or won`t promise anything as this could come back to him in time if not so. I think travel will reassume in Summer, at least for europe and some countries with good vaccination rollout. And as already stated several times I think vaccination passports at least for travels and mass events are already a done deal, even if certain questions arise.

42 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

Did someone (maybe even you?) put on here a few of the scientists are concerned their time in the spotlight is about to fade and they know bad news sells?

I hope things continue to open up and the ‘cautious but irreversible’ roadmap continues to be just that.

Yeah some of them love being in the spotlight and know that they'll get headlines for doom mongering.

59 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

Boris put that June date out there and the vast majority of people aren’t following all of this as closely as us on here. They think it will end on the 21st - and I can’t see the government stopping them doing what they want from that date onwards.

yeah, they got the messaging on those dates all wrong. They were the earliest dates that restrictions could be eased, but felt like they were the latest possible dates..

Just now, steviewevie said:

yeah, they got the messaging on those dates all wrong. They were the earliest dates that restrictions could be eased, but felt like they were the latest possible dates..

Can’t understand why they put dates out there. Early and late spring/early summer would have given them wiggle room.

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

But they said they needed 5 weeks to assess the changes. I dont understand how long they propose changing the dates by a week or two will make a difference. 

Anyway, theyve promised those dates, so people will expect to stick to them

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

The messaging wasn't wrong, it was very clear that those were the earliest possible dates. It's written very clearly. The data, that some people keep on insisting that we have already, can't be gathered and analysed before those dates.

Their modelling always seems very pessimistic, and has been way off on many occasions. I’m sure they were forecasting much higher cases numbers (and subsequent hospitalisations / deaths) once the schools reopened 4 weeks ago. And that just hasn’t happened at all. 

2 minutes ago, zahidf said:

But they said they needed 5 weeks to assess the changes. I dont understand how long they propose changing the dates by a week or two will make a difference. 

Anyway, theyve promised those dates, so people will expect to stick to them

they were the earliest dates...they always said that....

Just now, st dan said:

Their modelling always seems very pessimistic, and has been way off on many occasions. I’m sure they were forecasting much higher cases numbers (and subsequent hospitalisations / deaths) once the schools reopened 4 weeks ago. And that just hasn’t happened at all. 

I remember when they were hoping to keep deaths under 20k

2 minutes ago, st dan said:

yeah, so maybe data will actually be good on April 12, May 17th and June 21st and we'll still follow roadmap to the letter.

11 minutes ago, km9 said:

The messaging wasn't wrong, it was very clear that those were the earliest possible dates. It's written very clearly. The data, that some people keep on insisting that we have already, can't be gathered and analysed before those dates.

well...a lot of people seem to think that everything will be eased on these dates...or maybe even earlier if data looks good.

I think the idea that the scientists want to keep some form of control for selfish reasons is truly deranged.

Epidemiologists have said all along that getting over this thing was always going to need a multi-pronged approach (I.e. vaccines, travel restrictions, test and trace (that works), supporters isolation).

The global pandemic doesn’t just end because one country’s adult population has received a vaccine.

Whether there’s a political (or public) will to take a fully fleshed out multi-pronged approach to get over it is another issue. It does feel like there’s a point deaths etc will get to an “acceptable” level that people will be comfortable with. That may be fine, or it may not be, but it’s nuts to think scientific advisers won’t try to advise how to best mitigate those deaths.

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, MaxPower said:

I think the idea that the scientists want to keep some form of control for selfish reasons is truly deranged.

Epidemiologists have said all along that getting over this thing was always going to need a multi-pronged approach (I.e. vaccines, travel restrictions, test and trace (that works), supporters isolation).

The global pandemic doesn’t just end because one country’s adult population has received a vaccine.

Whether there’s a political (or public) will to take a fully fleshed out multi-pronged approach to get over it is another issue. It does feel like there’s a point deaths etc will get to an “acceptable” level that people will be comfortable with. That may be fine, or it may not be, but it’s nuts to think scientific advisers won’t try to advise how to best mitigate those deaths.

But thats how society works with disease. At some point soon, the misery caused by social distancing will be more damaging to society than the damage Covid will take. 

5 minutes ago, MaxPower said:

apparently they do it because they love all the attention they get on social media.

Just now, zahidf said:

But thats how society works with disease. At some point soon, the misery caused by social distancing will be more damaging to society than the damage Covid will take. 

I thought that was implied in my comment.