When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

7 minutes ago, Cherry Tree said:

Thought Crime originally comes from 1984 (the novel not the year) where it was a crime to have thoughts that differed from the Ingsoc ideology of Oceania. The key point is that these were unspoken thoughts, not thoughts that you choose to share with the population at large. Another defence when challenged on communicating factually incorrect views, follows on from Fake News and Project Fear.

Oh right, thanks for letting me know. I had no idea 😆

11 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Experts screwed up here.

I think the issue is that they assumed the virus was fomite transmitted which would make masks useless. This is because all the simulation exercises they’d done were based on flu pandemics not coronaviruses.

They fucked up on being slow to realise it was airborne. Masks and ventilation are a far bigger tool than 2m distancing and washing for an airborne virus. 

16 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Experts screwed up here.

"Add to fear and anxiety" = "won't go out and spend money" in political language so no wonder the government waited so long to bring them in

10 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

It's from Nineteen Eighty Four. It's a book which is pretty famous.

Excellent book - want to read it again but might hold off for a bit, probably not the right one for these current times.

I think there is an element of "thought crime" in lumping anyone who has even the slightest doubts about the vaccines in with the nutcases who think they have tracking chips or will sterilise people.. 

And it is very interesting to me how this MP met with an anti lockdown group who have in the past expressed anti vaccination views as well, talked about lockdown policies and is reiterating those today. But all the story headlines are conflating the two, basically making out that its the anti vaccination side of things that's the problem, when he hasn't said anything about that. It's strange agenda driven reporting 

Edited by efcfanwirral

41 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

Not sure where I saw it, but I think J&J said April for ramping up delivery. 

Aghh - it’s just my naivety and optimism again.  When the contracts were made in the first half of last year for a number of candidates, I was under the impression that manufacture was underway straight away so that immediately on approval we could ‘hit the ground running’ from the stockpile and we would just dispose of the ones that didn’t. Maybe it was agreed with all manufacturers that only a certain percentage would be available immediately? Be interesting what those percentages are/were? Looking at it now I was pretty daft to think that the full amount would be available but I would have expected a highish percentage in the manufacturing months since May last year?

1 minute ago, onthebeach said:

Aghh - it’s just my naivety and optimism again.  When the contracts were made in the first half of last year for a number of candidates, I was under the impression that manufacture was underway straight away so that immediately on approval we could ‘hit the ground running’ from the stockpile and we would just dispose of the ones that didn’t. Maybe it was agreed with all manufacturers that only a certain percentage would be available immediately? Be interesting what those percentages are/were? Looking at it now I was pretty daft to think that the full amount would be available but I would have expected a highish percentage in the manufacturing months since May last year?

Oh lot's of doses were manufactured at risk for many of the vaccine candidates. There's just lots of people that want them! Q2 this year was when most of the frontrunners expected to be ramping up supply significantly and it still looks like that (with a few inevitable hiccups along the way!). 

1 hour ago, st dan said:

Totally agree with this stance.

It’s like being in the queue for Glastonbury tickets, getting through to the ordering page and then ringing your friends to check if they definitely still want to go. By the time you’ve all finally decided yes, the booking page has refreshed and the ‘All Sold Out’ message now appears. You ring Seetickets and tell them what’s happened and they say ‘sorry about that, but others got in there and ordered  all the tickets’. Try again in the resale in a few months’. You can’t demand a ticket because you had the chance and didn’t take it. 

Great analogy! 

But surely no one is that disorganised on ticket day? Mental behaviour. 

41 minutes ago, zahidf said:

GET HIM

Face masks as social control?  I bet they don't play well with the facial recognition technology that was being increasingly employed across the UK.

I just had to go out of the house.  Mask on, hood up as it's raining.  12 months ago I wouldn't have been allowed in a shop dressed like that - they'd think I was there to rob the place!

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

I don't see why not, as part of the solution.

It's going to need a number of different faces to get the message across, I think, as each of us has focus and trust in different directions.

yep I think the unity on this will certainly make some difference ... along with other measures as you say 

2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I don't see why not, as part of the solution.

It's going to need a number of different faces to get the message across, I think, as each of us has focus and trust in different directions.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/entertainment-arts-55809355

Yep, it’s already started in the entertainment industry too. Think we need to see more of this - it will work to convince some, who then hopefully it turn will convince their friends/families/neighbours etc. 

6 minutes ago, st dan said:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/entertainment-arts-55809355

Yep, it’s already started in the entertainment industry too. Think we need to see more of this - it will work to convince some, who then hopefully it turn will convince their friends/families/neighbours etc. 

Some massive myth busting work to do across the world.

This story is incredible:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-africa-47639452?ns_mchannel=social&ns_source=twitter&ns_campaign=bbc_live&ns_linkname=60113bfe424aad02ec84df16%26Tanzanian leader cautious over Covid vaccines%262021-01-27T13%3A05%3A52%2B00%3A00&ns_fee=0&pinned_post_locator=urn:asset:87ada277-acb1-49ad-91ff-630b9b76fe82&pinned_post_asset_id=60113bfe424aad02ec84df16&pinned_post_type=share

4 minutes ago, Copperface said:

Fucking hell

“Vaccinations are dangerous. If the white man was able to come up with vaccinations, he should have found a vaccination for Aids, cancer and TB by now.”

The logic that because you haven't created one for every disease the ones you have created are dangerous is pretty special.

Also there is one for TB isn't there? I'm pretty sure I've had it (BCG innit).

46 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Even more positive news coming from Israel! 🍻 this summer looking evermore closer!

Hmm certainly good rumblings coming out...cautiously optimistic that we'll soon have solid data to further confirm the affect on transmission!