When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Have to see what EMA says tomorrow when (if ) appove the vaccine....and then what Germany does.

Thanks... I've just got a vested interest as my Mum seems to be the only bugger in her 70s to have had the AZ vaccine rather than the Pfizer.  Will keep an eye out tomorrow.

16 hours ago, Ozanne said:

Plus this bit is important:

One source said internal party projections in March 2020, in the wake of Boris Johnson’s landslide general election victory, suggested the party would lose 400 council seats and lose control of some local authorities, including Plymouth, Amber Valley, and Harlow. Elections in May 2020 were subsequently cancelled because of the coronavirus pandemic.

It shows gains are being made albeit as also said in the article it's being done through the Lib Dem vote mainly. However when they were behind as they were to stay on par so to speak could be seen as a fair outcome.

I think so. Let’s not forget how bad things were as recently as December 2019. Even with them having followed through on Brexit (not a good thing to me but a positive to others) and benefitting from a War-like mentality where people *want* to give them the benefit of the doubt and are desperate for them to do well. I think Labour are just about striking the right balance.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mellotr0n said:

This. The EU are trying to drag the UK into this, when it's absolutely nothing to do with us. AstraZeneca have made it clear that part of the reason UK is getting a smoother supply is because we got the deal done months in advance, allowing plenty of time to sort supply chain issues.

The EU dithered and delayed, and what they were warned might happen has happened.

If, and it is very much speculation, the UK Government did put pressure on AZ to adjust its allocations, then they might be justified.

Bearing in mind we have an exceptionalist and nationalist government who were neck deep in bitter Brexit deal negotiations at the time it's not out of the question.

2 minutes ago, Breeze said:

another thread suggests I may get the first one in June then my second one in September. This is way outside the bounds of the trails and there is no real data on what the impact of that sort of second dose delay might be.

not true. There's good data on just that for the AZ vaccine.

They're taking a punt doing Pfizer that way, although I believe what's happened with AZ use that way is a pretty standard immune response effect - so is a very decent punt, based on science.

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

thread...

Fairly true, narrative here is that AZ are inexperienced vaccine makers that botched the reporting of their trial, signed contracts they couldn’t deliver on and now don’t seem to be able to transfer manufacturing processes from one site to another. The 400m single doses of J&J (enough to do the entire adult population of the EU) are where hopes are pinned (since they know how to make vaccines). Personally, I think we just need as many that work as possible, but the Brexit angle isn’t a key feature of reporting on this here (it could be in the tabloids, I don’t read them and they are just Irish versions of the British tabloids anyway). 

37 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

Not exactly...it's like See tickets saying when you ring, yeah sure, we can print more tickets, when do you want them by and how many do yo want...only for you to turn up at the gate with your mates to be told, oh, we don't have yours, we know we said we did and we do indeed have tickets but we're giving them to someone else.

To be honest, this whole vaccine speculation thing is getting a bit mental (nobody knows, even the contracts are probably open to interpretation since they were signed before the vaccine was even shown to work). The EC will sort something out with AZ and secure better supply. AZ aren't going to go to war with one of their biggest markets over a product they don't even make a profit from. 

Here's one they made earlier. Obviously all contracts are different and may not apply to what we are discussing, but a couple of interesting bits . 

'Best Efforts' is plastered all over it.

But there is also this section. Interpret that as you want to.

"In the case of delays to the anticipated availability of the Product, the contractor aims to allocate the doses of the Product fairly across the demand of doses, which the contractor has or will contractually commit to towards its present and future customers, as such doses become available."

https://ec.europa.eu/info/sites/info/files/curevac_-_redacted_advance_purchase_agreement_0.pdf

9 minutes ago, Copperface said:

If, and it is very much speculation, the UK Government did put pressure on AZ to adjust its allocations, then they might be justified.

Bearing in mind we have an exceptionalist and nationalist government who were neck deep in bitter Brexit deal negotiations at the time it's not out of the question.

Hmmm thats not really based on anything. Zero evidence of the Uk doing that.

1 minute ago, Copperface said:

Here's one they made earlier. Obviously all contracts are different and may not apply to what we are discussing, but a couple of interesting bits . 

'Best Efforts' is plastered all over it.

But there is also this section. Interpret that as you want to.

"In the case of delays to the anticipated availability of the Product, the contractor aims to allocate the doses of the Product fairly across the demand of doses, which the contractor has or will contractually commit to towards its present and future customers, as such doses become available."

https://ec.europa.eu/info/sites/info/files/curevac_-_redacted_advance_purchase_agreement_0.pdf

Questions is, why is this one in the public domain but the AZ one isn't?

Can't think why the EU hasn't just published it... or perhaps it's because they haven't covered it off in the AZ contract?

9 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

What is a ‘thoughtcrime’? I’ve heard some corporate nonsense slogans but that’s right up there. 

Thought Crime originally comes from 1984 (the novel not the year) where it was a crime to have thoughts that differed from the Ingsoc ideology of Oceania. The key point is that these were unspoken thoughts, not thoughts that you choose to share with the population at large. Another defence when challenged on communicating factually incorrect views, follows on from Fake News and Project Fear.

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, SheffJeff said:

Thanks... I've just got a vested interest as my Mum seems to be the only bugger in her 70s to have had the AZ vaccine rather than the Pfizer.  Will keep an eye out tomorrow.

My girlfriend's dad is late 70s and got the AZ vaccine.

2 minutes ago, Cherry Tree said:

Thought Crime originally comes from 1984 (the novel not the year) where it was a crime to have thoughts that differed from the Ingsoc ideology of Oceania. The key point is that these were unspoken thoughts, not thoughts that you choose to share with the population at large. Another defence when challenged on communicating factually incorrect views, follows on from Fake News and Project Fear.

if thought crime was a thing I would have been locked up a long time ago.