When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

4 minutes ago, kalifire said:

I've had similar thoughts. My ex and I both travelled through Hong Kong airport at the start of 2020. She went about a week before I did, and picked up 'a bug' she suffered from for a few days when she got back to Australia. They were talking about an outbreak of 'pneumonia' at the time, which obviously we didn't think too much about. In retrospect, we probably missed the full outbreak by maybe two or three weeks. Scary to think about, to be honest.

Yeah it really is, I'm sure loads of people had close calls. I didn't really think much about it at the time (and I flew to Texas, Qatar and Brussels in the 2 weeks after I got back from China before I actually developed symptoms, so could easily have been a super-spreader!). I went back to the Middle East in February just as cases were starting to pop up there and really didn't think much about it on the way over either, but while I was there things really started to escalate and I ended up coming home early as Abu Dhabi were closing routes left right and centre and I didn't fancy getting stuck there for months! There just wasn't that much fuss made at the start and but by the time I was on my way home in February, everyone getting on the plane was wearing a mask. 

Just read an article on our national news site and thought some of you might appreciate the below quote

"Even so, concern about new strains of the virus have led to calls to "turn down the tap", particularly for those coming from places such as Britain, where spectacular political incompetence has created the conditions for these new Covid-19 variants to evolve."

Here's the article if anyone's interested.

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/435279/if-border-restrictions-increase-to-combat-new-covid-19-strains-what-rights-do-returning-new-zealanders-have

I personally think we should still let people back in. Some people have been trying for weeks to get back and just can't because all the rooms are full.

The ex-leader of the opposition is trying to get the government to let in the Wiggles in front of actual citizens. Such a drongo 🙄

10 hours ago, squirrelarmy said:

That’s a tricky one. Part of the Police uniform code is to have a neat and tidy haircut. With barbers closed their only other option would be to shave it off with clippers in order to keep it neat if you don’t live with a hairdresser

It's not THAT tricky though is it.  Don't fucking break the law to get a haircut regardless of uniform code, the entitled pricks.

19 hours ago, MrBarry465 said:

Nobody is saying they will be closed forever

I didn't say they were.

I was pointing out if they're closing the borders because of the threat of a new strain, then logically the borders will need to stay closed forever because there's always the threat of a new strain. That's not something which will ever go away.

39 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I didn't say they were.

I was pointing out if they're closing the borders because of the threat of a new strain, then logically the borders will need to stay closed forever because there's always the threat of a new strain. That's not something which will ever go away.

The new strains post the biggest threat now though, as we still have a lot of overhang from the old / and current strains. When they 'clear the decks' so to speak of all the hospital patients and have a little bit of breathing room, then they can make a better assessment of risk then.

I was looking to see if there was anything about forming a government of national unity over the past 10 months and found Corbyn’s statement from last March. It’s almost like he had a crystal ball (or rather, it was obvious the challenges this government were going to face): https://labour.org.uk/press/jeremy-corbyns-coronavirus-debate-statement/

5 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

I was looking to see if there was anything about forming a government of national unity over the past 10 months and found Corbyn’s statement from last March. It’s almost like he had a crystal ball (or rather, it was obvious the challenges this government were going to face): https://labour.org.uk/press/jeremy-corbyns-coronavirus-debate-statement/

would have been much better if he'd been prepared to see a different Labour leader involved in a GNU 6 months earlier.

Shame he was too vain to allow it to happen.

7 minutes ago, xxialac said:

The level at which the vaccine reduces asymptomatic spread will probably determine whether this year can be saved or is another near write-off.

I’m fairly confident we’ll see a much better year from April/May time regardless.

8 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

would have been much better if he'd been prepared to see a different Labour leader involved in a GNU 6 months earlier.

Shame he was too vain to allow it to happen.

Except talk of a Brexit GNU was absolute pie in the sky nonsense.

3 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I’m fairly confident we’ll see a much better year from April/May time regardless.

Yeah, reading back that now seems insensitive. Meant in a limited way in terms of freedoms for young people in terms of freedoms.

For deaths and hospitalisations it will clearly be a far, far better year.

Big question mark on mental health and the economy. 

Just now, xxialac said:

Yeah, reading back that now seems insensitive. Meant in a limited way in terms of freedoms for young people in terms of freedoms.

For deaths and hospitalisations it will clearly be a far, far better year.

Big question mark on mental health and the economy. 

Tbf I didn’t think it was insensitive, I know what you mean. It’s gonna take a little while but I think summer might be fairly close to normal.

The mental health aspect will need serious work too. 

Quick maths based on the 25/1 Vaccination data: (I hope its right...)

15 Million minus 6,853,327 leaves 8,146,673 jabs of the target to go. That equates to 387,937 per day. Based on the 3 massive days last week, I think it's fair to say they are behind, but still with a decent chance of reaching the target if they can reach those levels again. 

The problem from a pure yes/no perspective is that the 14 and 15th are a Sunday/Monday which are the 2 worst days so far, so quite possible they fall short on the 15th, but hit it later in the week when the big days data comes in.

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

Tbf I didn’t think it was insensitive, I know what you mean. It’s gonna take a little while but I think summer might be fairly close to normal.

The mental health aspect will need serious work too. 

Yeah, you're probably right, a bit like last Summer but with more certainty that we are coming out of this and a bit less restriction generally.

1 minute ago, Gregfc15 said:

Quick maths based on the 25/1 Vaccination data: (I hope its right...)

15 Million minus 6,853,327 leaves 8,146,673 jabs of the target to go. That equates to 387,937 per day. Based on the 3 massive days last week, I think it's fair to say they are behind, but still with a decent chance of reaching the target if they can reach those levels again. 

The problem from a pure yes/no perspective is that the 14 and 15th are a Sunday/Monday which are the 2 worst days so far, so quite possible they fall short on the 15th, but hit it later in the week when the big days data comes in.

Plenty more mass vaccination centres coming on board this week too , I think it was 30 .... so hopefully they will provide a big boost to the numbers