When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

We're also less than 6 months into this election cycle and Kier's been in the job for a month during the biggest international crises in a generation. If he's not really cutting through yet hardly a surprise, but that doesn't mean that initial signs aren't promising. 

9 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Next election  is in 4 years. Doesnt really matter...

I think polls matters quite a bit, whilst the next election is 4 years away they are useful still. One thing to keep in mind is that a lot of Tory party (not membership) aren't too keen on Johnson they see him as a liability waiting to happen. His biggest asset is his ability to win elections, if polls show that lead eroding away over time combined with poor handling of this crisis then it's not beyond the realms of possibility they would try to force him out. 

Polls can also change general aspects of a governments agenda too, polls overwhelmingly showed the public (even Leavers) wanted the NHS surcharge for migrant workers to be abolished so this pressure combined with pressure put on by the Leader of the Opposition has directly resulted in a change of policy.

Edited by Ozanne

2 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I think polls matters quite a bit, whilst the next election is 4 years away they are useful still. One thing to keep in mind is that a lot of Tory party (not membership) aren't too keen on Johnson they see him as a liability waiting to happen. His biggest asset is his ability to win elections, if polls show that lead eroding away over time combined with poor handling of this crisis then it's not being the realms of possibility they would try to force him out. 

Polls can also change general aspects of a governments agenda too, polls overwhelmingly showed the public (even Leavers) wanted the NHS surcharge for migrant workers to be abolished so this pressure combined with pressure put on by the Leader of the Opposition has directly resulted in a change of policy.

Oh yeah, what I mean is that, as above, it's a bit 'why isnt he 40 points ahead of Boris' when hes just a month in the job. I imagine the polls will tighten in the next few months anyway, but its disnegenius of that guy to just look at the polls as they stand.

Just now, zahidf said:

Oh yeah, what I mean is that, as above, it's a bit 'why isnt he 40 points ahead of Boris' when hes just a month in the job. I imagine the polls will tighten in the next few months anyway, but its disnegenius of that guy to just look at the polls as they stand.

Ah sorry I miss-understood your point. I agree mate.

7 minutes ago, zahidf said:

6 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Ah sorry I miss-understood your point. I agree mate.

Me too, I thought you were refuting Ozanne rather than the original tweet.

9 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

The point of that Goodwin tweet is Starmer needs to win over voters in areas where they lost...leave voting northern towns etc., and at moment Johnson still has a clear lead with those voters.

Whilst that's true, I think it's very early to say that. Subtext of the tweet seems to be 'why isnt he doing better' when I think that's unrealistic...

18 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Whilst that's true, I think it's very early to say that. Subtext of the tweet seems to be 'why isnt he doing better' when I think that's unrealistic...

yes, but then others will say he is leading in certain polls and is awesome etc....but these are people who would probably be voting labour anyway, remainy liberals.

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

That response would make sense to Matthew Goodwin - it doesn't matter so much that Johnson is ahead right now, what matters is the direction of travel - and it's heading the right way for Starmer.

And the time until the election is a good thing - he needs a lot of time to undo the public distrust in Labour. I feel the irrefutable results of Brexit will be where the turning points are 

46 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

And the time until the election is a good thing - he needs a lot of time to undo the public distrust in Labour. I feel the irrefutable results of Brexit will be where the turning points are 

Aren't they hoping that the economy will be so fucked from coronavirus we won't notice any downside from brexit....

Anyway, who knows where we'll be in 4 years.

2 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

My brother in law got sent a random request to do an antibody test in the post, didn’t realise they were doing that? I know they had the stats yesterday for London and the country as a whole, maybe that’s how they’re breaking it down by region?

is not a test at home thing though, right? He has to go somewhere where they take blood samples...?

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

is not a test at home thing though, right? He has to go somewhere where they take blood samples...?

It is a test at home, he had to swab his tonsils. I don’t know too many specifics because my sister told me second hand, but she helped him do the swab.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

7 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

It is a test at home, he had to swab his tonsils. I don’t know too many specifics because my sister told me second hand, but she helped him do the swab.

sounds like the normal test to see if you have it to me ,  I thought they only purchased the 10 million tests recently so that would be very quick .... although with 10million purchased there would be quite a few left over after the nhs and social care were tested ...

4 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

sounds like the normal test to see if you have it to me ,  I thought they only purchased the 10 million tests recently so that would be very quick .... although with 10million purchased there would be quite a few left over after the nhs and social care were tested ...

Yeah, sounds like the antigen test to me.  To see whether he has it, not whether he's had it.