When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

3 hours ago, fraybentos1 said:

What exactly are AstraZeneca doing? Are we currently basically the only country in the world getting substantial doses of the stuff?

Hoping we don’t get hit by supply Issues which would upset the great progress made. 

The vast majority of the UK supply from AstraZeneca is manufactured domestically, using manufacturing capacity contracted via the Government. Same will apply with Novavax and Valneva, if/when they come on line. So for those 3 at least a problem in an EU/US factory shouldn't hit us too much. Obviously it works the other way as well, so a problem in the UK factory would primarily hit us.

So some good news again from Wales' numbers.  15th day in a row weekly average of numbers have dropped, and deaths also seem to be dropping.

Vaccinations have also ramped up as promised so 7.67% of the population has now received the 1st dose, we are now getting daily figures and initial frustrations at rollout pace seems to have been rectified (0.90% of population vaccinated on Friday which is some effort).

I hope this is an indication of other nations numbers as it has been previously.

Also this may not seem good news and I may get some grief for this but the leader of the conservatives has resigned after possible breaches of covid rules.  In my opinion his offenses were not that great in the grander scheme of things, but he has done the honourable and right thing which in an age of Teflon politicians is good to see.  His statement below:

“I am truly sorry for my actions on the 8 th and 9 th December. They have damaged the trust and respect that I have built up over 14 years in the Welsh Parliament with my colleagues and the wider Conservative Party but more importantly with the people of Wales."

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/paul-davies-resigns-welsh-conservatives-19686765

Edited by ShakeyCrash

28 minutes ago, shoptildrop said:

Bought one of these last week to be on the safe side

My mobile has one built in (Samsung note 9, don't know why they scrapped it in more recent models)- don't know how reliable it is, it usually does give a reading of 95-99%, but when I was in Cusco in Peru (v high altitude) I got readings in the 80s- didn't realise you're meant to phone 999 if it stays below 94%. I was fine though, so not sure if the reader just isn't that accurate or if it's okay to be lower at high altitudes?

3 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

My mobile has one built in (Samsung note 9, don't know why they scrapped it in more recent models)- don't know how reliable it is, it usually does give a reading of 95-99%, but when I was in Cusco in Peru (v high altitude) I got readings in the 80s- didn't realise you're meant to phone 999 if it stays below 94%. I was fine though, so not sure if the reader just isn't that accurate or if it's okay to be lower at high altitudes?

For sure you'll have a lower reading at high altitudes but that isn't the same concern as you should acclimatise (as long as you don't go too high too quickly).

2 hours ago, Copperface said:

I came back through T2 last Sunday. A few 'professional' /business travellers but the majority I saw at the time I came through seemed to be UK nationals returning from Dubai/UAE holidays. A lot had missed the corridor closure the previous week so would be subject to quarantine. Loads of kids as well.

Oh, are/were people still allowed to holiday as long as it was to the middle east then?

4 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Wow that’s a HUGE number of vaccines 

I know two people who went to my local centre today to get theirs. One was in the vulnerability category as he had leukaemia as a kid and the other is an NHS worker currently on maternity leave. We are getting there.

Also had a letter from my council today saying I can claim £500 if I have to isolate for two weeks. I thought the government rubbished that?

1 minute ago, Ryan1984 said:

I know two people who went to my local centre today to get theirs. One was in the vulnerability category as he had leukaemia as a kid and the other is an NHS worker currently on maternity leave. We are getting there.

Also had a letter from my council today saying I can claim £500 if I have to isolate for two weeks. I thought the government rubbished that?

That’s if you have to isolate, it’s a different scheme. 

5 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

3 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

That’s if you have to isolate, it’s a different scheme. 

I’m sure the current rule is that they pay a means tested £500 to certain low earners if they have to isolate whereas the rumour during the week was that it would be extended to everyone. 

3 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Four people that I know of have lost a relative to covid in the last 10 days. Really feels quite grim at the minute. Hopefully this is the storm before the calm and death numbers start falling now that we are getting needles in arms.

I reckon there's probably another 3-5 weeks with a very large number of deaths, as most oldies didn't get their jab until into January and it takes around 2-3 weeks to have an effect, and some of those vaccinated oldies will probably have gone on to catch a fatal dose of covid.

The vaccine is only starting to have an effect on new cases from around now.

2 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

I fear the only issue we’re going to have now is supply.

How are we looking on that front?

I can’t recall how many of each we should in reality have currently?

Everyone I know who has had a vaccine has had the Pfizer one so far.

In theory the supply should be good overall and enough to keep up an average of over 3m doses a week, but obviously there's always the potential for fuck ups. There's also the potential for 2 further vaccines to be approved in the next couple months - so it could go either way.

Regarding everyone you know having had Pfizer - mostly that's going to be down to where they get the vaccine. There's exceptions but generally speaking some places are doing all Pfizer and some are doing all AZ. For example if you go to one of the mass vaccination centres you're probably getting AZ, if you go to a major Hospital you're probably getting Pfizer.