When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

yeah....China too, but Covax doesn't seem to be working too well at moment..hopefully they can start getting the Oxford one out there...

someone has to be first in the queue, and no electorate will thank their own govt for not putting their own country at the front of the queue.

It's how it was always going to be.

4 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

someone has to be first in the queue, and no electorate will thank their own govt for not putting their own country at the front of the queue.

It's how it was always going to be.

except the self righteous woke ones like me.

Actually, they should put my Mum at the front of the fucking queue.

JAB MY MUM!

7 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

South Africa are paying double the price for the AZ vaccine I saw. 

How come?

I thought AZ were selling it at a set price to cover their costs of producing it? Swear I read they were the only company making it to not make a profit.

Edited by JoeyT

YEah sorry, but this some right old bollocks

There is also pressure from scientists to maintain robust restrictions because research suggests vaccination alone may not be enough to shrink the coronavirus epidemic.

Prof Mark Woolhouse, chair of infectious disease epidemiology at the University of Edinburgh, said even in a best-case scenario it was unlikely vaccine uptake would be above 90%, meaning about 1 million vulnerable people would remain susceptible to Covid after the first phase of the programme. In addition, none of the approved Covid vaccines have a greater than 95% efficacy against Covid symptoms.

“The general consensus is that a gradual releasing of restrictions would be possible but we would have to feel our way there, the way we did after the first lockdown,” Woolhouse said. But he added: “If [Covid vaccines] can’t take us past the [herd immunity] threshold, then we are going to be living with some kind of countermeasures for ever.”

Just now, zahidf said:

YEah sorry, but this some right old bollocks

There is also pressure from scientists to maintain robust restrictions because research suggests vaccination alone may not be enough to shrink the coronavirus epidemic.

Prof Mark Woolhouse, chair of infectious disease epidemiology at the University of Edinburgh, said even in a best-case scenario it was unlikely vaccine uptake would be above 90%, meaning about 1 million vulnerable people would remain susceptible to Covid after the first phase of the programme. In addition, none of the approved Covid vaccines have a greater than 95% efficacy against Covid symptoms.

“The general consensus is that a gradual releasing of restrictions would be possible but we would have to feel our way there, the way we did after the first lockdown,” Woolhouse said. But he added: “If [Covid vaccines] can’t take us past the [herd immunity] threshold, then we are going to be living with some kind of countermeasures for ever.”

Hang on, he’s suggesting keeping restrictions in order to protect the 10% of vulnerable people who REFUSED a vaccine?

Yeah, stuff that. I have zero sympathy for any vulnerable person that says no thanks and then gets sick with covid. Well zero sympathy is a bit far but I’m not putting my life on hold for them. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Hang on, he’s suggesting keeping restrictions in order to protect the 10% of vulnerable people who REFUSED a vaccine?

don't worry too much, Darwinism will sort them out soon enough.

Either by killing them off, or by giving them similar anti-bodies to the vaccine via infection.

And actually, we should start mixing more before the vaccine is fully rolled out, to help this along.

Edited by eFestivals

12 minutes ago, st dan said:

Some of these scientists and their views are absolute bonkers, and so far detached from reality it’s untrue.

I’m glad the guy who has the government’s ear Chris Whitty (and Vallance for that matter) are relative centrists when it comes to covid and have accepted the fact it’ll become endemic and there will be a number of deaths that we accept as a society.

Some of the academics we are hearing from are not exactly sociable people and they probably don’t see the downside to ongoing lockdowns that the rest of us see. This is why they make batshit mental comments about staying locked down to protect anti vaxxers. 

• Upvote 1

If this £500 to self isolate is brought in, wouldn’t that encourage some younger and less vulnerable people to purposefully try to catch the virus in order to receive this payment? Especially if they can also WFH too - it would be a juicy bonus! Do the government know this and its all part of their herd immunity plan? Or is the whole thing just a load of paper talk?

1 hour ago, zahidf said:

The Germans are VERY angry at their govt over what they are seeing with the slow vaccine rollout. Good luck with getting them to hard lockdown and not to go on holiday.

They are already in hard lockdown.

And even though a lot of the state ministers did mess up in November/December, the numbers are on the way back down which is good to see.

Edited by FestivalJamie

2 minutes ago, st dan said:

If this £500 to self isolate is brought in, wouldn’t that encourage some younger and less vulnerable people to purposefully try to catch the virus in order to receive this payment? Especially if they can also WFH too - it would be a juicy bonus! Do the government know this and its all part of their herd immunity plan? Or is the whole thing just a load of paper talk?

Yep back to the herd immunity strategy.

And also regarding the vaccine- a handful of people physically can’t take it. So we shouldn’t just judge everyone the same if they haven’t had it for personal circumstances. 

1 minute ago, FestivalJamie said:

And also regarding the vaccine- a handful of people physically can’t take it. So we shouldn’t just judge everyone the same if they haven’t had it for personal circumstances. 

Yeah, no, we aren’t staying in lockdown to protect “a handful of people”. Sorry. 

Just now, Fuzzy Afro said:

Yeah, no, we aren’t staying in lockdown to protect “a handful of people”. Sorry. 

That’s not even what I said. I’m just highlighting your language about zero sympathy etc is not particularly considerate. I wasn’t even talking about staying in lockdown, I was talking about judging people.

2 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

They’re not though are they? You can have a guest visit from a different household. I’d give my left bollock for that to be a thing here. 

Yes you can meet up one on one inside or outside but that’s it really. The rest of the rules differ by state. So some have public alcohol bans, curfew, 15km radius limit for travel. Also you have to wear medical grade masks now in all indoor spaces and this is enforced by police. In some states it has to be fpp2. So the rules just differ, it doesn’t mean they aren’t in lockdown.

6 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

There's a significant difference between not being able to take it (not your choice) and refusing to take it (definitely your choice)

10 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

The quote wasn't about the small amount of people who can't take it though. It was based on people refusing to take it.

6 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

That’s not even what I said. I’m just highlighting your language about zero sympathy etc is not particularly considerate. I wasn’t even talking about staying in lockdown, I was talking about judging people.

Yes you can meet up one on one inside or outside but that’s it really. The rest of the rules differ by state. So some have public alcohol bans, curfew, 15km radius limit for travel. Also you have to wear medical grade masks now in all indoor spaces and this is enforced by police. In some states it has to be fpp2. So the rules just differ, it doesn’t mean they aren’t in lockdown.

He was talking about people who refuse the vaccine, not those who can't have one, for whatever reason. No way we should pander to people who refuse to take one.

Just now, fraybentos1 said:

Also is herd immunity not literally the only choice long-term? Just now we can do it via vaccines rather than through natural infection.

We’re actually working towards a mixture of both. Hasn’t recent studies placed as many as 8-10 million with antibodies? And the millions of vaccines to come in the next few months and hopefully we’re almost at an acceptable level. 

1 minute ago, st dan said:

We’re actually working towards a mixture of both. Hasn’t recent studies placed as many as 8-10 million with antibodies? And the millions of vaccines to come in the next few months and hopefully we’re almost at an acceptable level. 

My hope is that around 20 percent have had it, and I think that is realistic. I know they said you need at least 70 percent to reach herd immunity territory but I don't know at what point you'd start to see some impact on lowering transmission.