When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

5 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Masks and social distancing is very different, and while it might continue same as now there's a cost both personally and to the economy. So there's good reasons for the govt (and particularly this govt) to try and remove them sooner if possible

Masks for public transport and workplaces are preventing the spread of other viruses as well. We could see a significant culture shift similar to what is seen in the far east regarding keeping your germs to yourself. 

Definitely happy to see the end of social distancing though. I don’t think people will grumble too much as long as they are allowed to return to the pubs.

I’d like to see some of the bar restrictions stay too. I’m not super thrilled about the idea of queuing up at a bar again. I’m more than happy to keep sat at a table and use the apps to order drinks. Lots of pub chains have invested in that technology now so I’m happy for them to keep them in place. 

3 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Masks for public transport and workplaces are preventing the spread of other viruses as well. We could see a significant culture shift similar to what is seen in the far east regarding keeping your germs to yourself. 

Definitely happy to see the end of social distancing though. I don’t think people will grumble too much as long as they are allowed to return to the pubs.

I’d like to see some of the bar restrictions stay too. I’m not super thrilled about the idea of queuing up at a bar again. I’m more than happy to keep sat at a table and use the apps to order drinks. Lots of pub chains have invested in that technology now so I’m happy for them to keep them in place. 

Could see it being like spoons in the future where you can order at the bar if you want or at your table. Personal choice.

I remember going to Germany years back and the guy comes round with the beers and just uses a pen to put a little tally mark on how your coaster to show how many you’ve had, then you pay when you leave. 

45 minutes ago, incident said:

It's the usual danger of numbers being taken out of context. The guy was talking specifically about NHS England, and so likely doesn't include some of the routes to vaccination and certainly doesn't include Scotland or NI.

Ah....that explains.  Thanks.

15 hours ago, zahidf said:

Oh hell yeah

I think a few have misunderstood this chart - if you look closely on the left hand side you'll see these are percentages of the total infected.

People in the age range 40-55 aren't necessarily seeing more infections, it's that infections in people aged 60+ are absolutely flying down, therefore younger groups are naturally going to make up more of the overall 100%. If that makes sense?

It is unequivocally very good news.

Edited by Mellotr0n
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Yeah i think Masks will be heavily encouraged for public transport. And seated at bars/table service is reasonable overall

39 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Too many "masks mean you're an establishment sheep" types - I think if you try wearing a mask on the Metrolink in Manchester for example once they're no longer mandatory there could be some worries about personal safety if you come across the wrong people. I think they'll just be thrown away afterwards unfortunately.

34 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Could see it being like spoons in the future where you can order at the bar if you want or at your table. Personal choice.

Was saying before any of this that I'm amazed it hasn't been rolled out in other chains, especially food ones. I used something like that at one of the food places at Manchester Airport and it was so quick. I just haven't seen it anywhere else apart from wetherspoons in cities. I'd use it whenever I can because it's so convenient 

Edited by efcfanwirral

13 minutes ago, Mellotr0n said:

I think a few have misunderstood this chart - if you look closely on the left hand side you'll see these are percentages of the total infected.

People in the age range 40-55 aren't necessarily seeing more infections, it's that infections in people aged 60+ are absolutely flying down, therefore younger groups are naturally going to make up more of the overall 100%. If that makes sense?

Nah I don't think so, it's % increase in serious cases from the last time period for that age group. There's no way that the 60+ age group would only make up 30% of the seriously ill a couple weeks ago and now less that 10%, so it has to be growth rate. To be honest though it's a pretty shitey graph that doesn't contain enough information to interpret it properly. 

34 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Yeah i think Masks will be heavily encouraged for public transport. And seated at bars/table service is reasonable overall

Mask usage seems like a sensible thing to keep in place at least for a while. It doesn’t really cause any major harm or cost.

I said yesterday I could see something small in the summer like masks indoors then next winter a rule of 10 or something just in case. 

6 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Mask usage seems like a sensible thing to keep in place at least for a while. It doesn’t really cause any major harm or cost.

I said yesterday I could see something small in the summer like masks indoors then next winter a rule of 10 or something just in case. 

This is what I'm thinking- but with a rule of 10 the entire way through. Music industry could be in real trouble 

Just now, efcfanwirral said:

This is what I'm thinking- but with a rule of 10 the entire way through. Music industry could be in real trouble 

I can’t see a rule of 10 (or similar) through this summer. I think this summer we’ll see a very close to normal with less restrictions to get us back out more. 

4 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I can’t see a rule of 10 (or similar) through this summer. I think this summer we’ll see a very close to normal with less restrictions to get us back out more. 

Yeah. I think March to May Rule of 10 type stuff e.t.c. June onwards no or very little restrictions ( Masks inside e.t.c). Winter run up some more restrictions maybe ( though if everyoneyone is vaccinated with one dose by Sept even this may not happen)

UK govt is betting everything on vaccines working really well and reducing case numbers/deaths all the way down. Once its been done, i doubt they'll want to limit people

Edited by zahidf

The idea that the general public are going to abide by a "rule of 10" or rule of anything for that matter "just in case" once the vaccination programme is declared complete and effective is bonkers.

Once we get to that point, the government will see it as a failure to have any restrictions formally in place, and a large percentage of the public won't see any reason to comply anyway.

2 minutes ago, incident said:

The idea that the general public are going to abide by a "rule of 10" or rule of anything for that matter "just in case" once the vaccination programme is declared complete and effective is bonkers.

Once we get to that point, the government will see it as a failure to have any restrictions formally in place, and a large percentage of the public won't see any reason to comply anyway.

WHitty said it would be a 'political decision' at some point anyway when its lockdown vs virus. I think its obvious what this govt will do

By "keeping restrictions in place" I'm also thinking about the legally mandated 10 day quarantine if you're told to isolate by track and trace.

I don't see that disappearing this year. I'd argue it's not "back to normal" until things like that go.

Edited by Leyrulion
Spelling

1 minute ago, Leyrulion said:

By keeping restrictions in place I'm also thinking about the legally mandated 10 day quarantine big you're told to isolate by track and trace.

I don't see that disappearing this year.

Ferguson already said it may not be necessary if you're just a contact of someone a few days ago.

I think they'll reduce it to 7 days and then change it to having to isolate if you test positive

1 minute ago, Leyrulion said:

By keeping restrictions in place I'm also thinking about the legally mandated 10 day quarantine big you're told to isolate by track and trace.

I don't see that disappearing this year.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that the rules around a positive test are going to disappear any time soon.

1 hour ago, Mellotr0n said:

Guilty.  I didn't see the %.  

Just now, fraybentos1 said:

My view is that if you have anything serious enough to merit wearing a mask (post covid) then you shouldn't be out and about on public transport anyway.

I think that's where there's a difference in mask perception between us and the far east.  Mate of mine from Hong Kong explained it to me; regardless of severity wearing a mask if you're ill is just a common courtesy out there. So even a cold, which is definitely not serious enough to warrant avoiding public transport or anything, would have you wearing a mask out and about just so you minimised chance of passing it on.

It's quite a cultural difference thing, at least as has been explained to me.