Jump to content

When will this shit end?


Chrisp1986

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Barney McGrew said:

They didn't set out to look like cocks, they didn't want to be pissing on everyone's chips; things have changed and thankfully they've responded... What else could they do, what would you want them to do, ignore it?

Of course they didnt, as has been mentioned they'll be labelled grinches for life. It's far more the style theyve done it in that's caused the uproar. Now more than ever people want to see loved ones and whilst the action is justified the suddenness of it all has made it a real gut punch for so many 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Chapple12345 said:

I wouldn't personally wear a mask outside, we've been told countless times that the virus disperses in the fresh air and therefore I would personally feel comfortable without it on, I'm more than happy to comply with it indoors though still as I do sometimes feel a bit more anxious about people getting close then 

fair enough .... I would also remind you that we were told initially that they weren't necessary .... and the advice changed ... I hope it doesnt again because im looking forward to getting rid of mine ..... but it might .... as we might need changing advice because of new strains ..... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, crazyfool1 said:

I think you credit them with too much forethought .... they lurch from one about turn to another  and we think that they have some clever plan .... maybe they dont and just have no idea 

This isn’t exactly a master plan though. It doesn’t take a genius to realise that if you crank up London’s restrictions at a point where many people are planning to leave the city, an awful lot of people will try and pack up and leave early before the restrictions come in.

If they didn’t think about that, then we should really be worried about who is governing us. They reason they don’t draft against it is because it takes the pressure off their image.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Barney McGrew said:

They didn't set out to look like cocks, they didn't want to be pissing on everyone's chips; things have changed and thankfully they've responded... What else could they do, what would you want them to do, ignore it?

 

Disclaimer: they're all fickin useless!

I refuse to believe this evidence and these facts were only presented to them yesterday evening.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Chapple12345 said:

Of course they didnt, as has been mentioned they'll be labelled grinches for life. It's far more the style theyve done it in that's caused the uproar. Now more than ever people want to see loved ones and whilst the action is justified the suddenness of it all has made it a real gut punch for so many 

How could've it been done better?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I normally don't, because I'm normally nowhere near anyone, but went on a crowded street today and wore the fuck out of my mask all day!

That’s the thing, I wouldn’t wear one for a walk in the park or by the river, but I think personally I would feel more comfortable with them mandated on high streets etc.

This is coming from someone who works in a theme park, with maskless guests coming up to me all day and shouting questions in my face. If masks were mandatory at all times for guests in the park it would make myself and a lot of the other staff feel a lot safer. So I’m not just trying to be difficult but we wear masks all day as theme park staff and the guests don’t have to to protect us back? That’s something I find particularly not fair.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

This isn’t exactly a master plan though. It doesn’t take a genius to realise that if you crank up London’s restrictions at a point where many people are planning to leave the city, an awful lot of people will try and pack up and leave early before the restrictions come in.

If they didn’t think about that, then we should really be worried about who is governing us. They reason they don’t draft against it is because it takes the pressure off their image.

Of course they knew people were going to leave the capital - that's why it came in from midnight rather than say Sunday night. 

It's utter shit of course it is - but the situation keeps changing so the response needs to change to. It's more like a battle than building Lego. There not just following instructions. 

Their biggest biggest problem is Boris and others giving the public soundbites that keep getting wheeled out like we will be in a better position by spring etc... 

I'm not in any way a fan of the current government but I do have sympathy with their situation - as a British person I want us back to normal as soon as possible but I also understand that the government are having to think in their feet and react to changing data and situations. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

That’s the thing, I wouldn’t wear one for a walk in the park or by the river, but I think personally I would feel more comfortable with them mandated on high streets etc.

This is where I'd remain more willing for it if it was gonna busy high street but I like going to the coast for walks and I wouldnt wear a mask on that where the likelihood would be that I only see 5 other people around. If the government did go down this path I'm sure theyd elect this rather than the more draconian mask rules used in countries like Spain 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Barney McGrew said:

How could've it been done better?

I’ve said this for months but they should’ve done this.

In September come out at a press briefing saying Christmas will be different this year, you won’t be able to mix households and all be together. Then keep saying this every couple of weeks or so but every time make sure they keep on saying why and as cases rise link it back to Christmas. Make it clear it’s only one Christmas but will mean we have lots more with loved ones in the future. This makes the public aware of the situation and gets them on board long before the Christmas season; people can then make whatever arrangements they need too. It wouldn’t have been popular but would’ve saved a whole loud of heartache now and besides sometimes leadership is about giving unpopular messages at the right time for the greater good. 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Chapple12345 said:

This is where I'd remain more willing for it if it was gonna busy high street but I like going to the coast for walks and I wouldnt wear a mask on that where the likelihood would be that I only see 5 other people around. If the government did go down this path I'm sure theyd elect this rather than the more draconian mask rules used in countries like Spain 

Oh no I didn’t mean outside at all times. I just meant in busy public places where crowds form like theme park walkways and queuelines and high street shopping.

Although I ran into westfields quickly the other night to pick something up and mask compliance was horrendous, so I can’t see it being that likely that it could be enforced in the high street.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

This isn’t exactly a master plan though. It doesn’t take a genius to realise that if you crank up London’s restrictions at a point where many people are planning to leave the city, an awful lot of people will try and pack up and leave early before the restrictions come in.

If they didn’t think about that, then we should really be worried about who is governing us. They reason they don’t draft against it is because it takes the pressure off their image.

They did think about it, Whitty specifically addressed it and said that folks should unpack their bags and prepare to remain in London for Christmas. Evidently people decided they knew better than the scientists.
 

So the issue is more that Whitty must be naive to still trust the british public to behave in accordance with the advice - rather than interpreting it as meaning everybody else should do this except for me - when time and again, a good chunk of the population have demonstrated their inability/unwillingness to act prosocially during this pandemic.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I’ve said this for months but they should’ve done this.

In September come out at a press briefing saying Christmas will be different this year, you won’t be able to mix households and all be together. Then keep saying this every couple of weeks or so but every time make sure they keep on saying why and as cases rise link it back to Christmas. Make it clear it’s only one Christmas but will mean we have lots more with loved ones in the future. This makes the public aware of the situation and gets them on board long before the Christmas season; people can then make whatever arrangements they need too. It wouldn’t have been popular but would’ve saved a whole loud of heartache now and besides sometimes leadership is about giving unpopular messages at the right time for the greater good. 

You've said it yourself there I'm afraid. This callous, incompetent Conservative government care more about their "popularity", branding and how they can play everyone else off on one another than they do about anything else. After Christmas when the figures get even worse they will be blaming the public immediately, wiping their hands of any blame and the press will lap it up. It is devastating to me that the path to that point is so inevitable. That is why no matter how sensible, safe and correct it would've been, there is no chance this bunch of charlatans would have given the suggestion the time of day. 

Edited by Brownie30
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Brownie30 said:

Boris et al want you to do exactly as some in here are doing - blame the public for their criminally negligent handling of the pandemic, right up until today. @Matt42

If a crime has been committed you should report it. Hopefully the Police station will have some steps to help you get down off your high horse as you go in with your evidence. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, mattiloy said:

They did think about it, Whitty specifically addressed it and said that folks should unpack their bags and prepare to remain in London for Christmas. Evidently people decided they knew better than the scientists.
 

So the issue is more that Whitty must be naive to still trust the british public to behave in accordance with the advice - rather than interpreting it as meaning everybody else should do this except for me - when time and again, a good chunk of the population have demonstrated their inability/unwillingness to act prosocially during this pandemic.

To be honest with you how much of the public actually watch the press conference? And out of that percentage how many people actually are listening to Chris Whitty for advice?

Even if most people follow the law they aren’t going to listen to extra advice given by Chris Whitty. At the end of the day it wasn’t illegal to leave London tonight, so people hopped onto that chance and ignored any other advice that might be given to them.

I really do wonder what proportion of south east will scrap their Christmas bubbles, as nothing will be enforced. 

What makes me the most upset angry and infuriated about all of this is that the government announced the 5 day easing like 3 weeks ago. They should have never announced any Christmas rules and just left it til now and said we will decide based on the numbers. Then dumping south east into tier 2 post lockdown and north into tier 3 look who is getting a better Christmas. The north!!! Because stricter measures and compliance is clearly better there. 

At the end of the day Christmas was a write off to me anyway, but why end lockdown in London on increasing numbers just to release everything and let everyone act like lunatics? It’s crazy. I would have rather stayed in lockdown for an extra 3 weeks and then be able to have one day with my family in confidence because the numbers were lower. But no they wanted to save Christmas shopping etc

  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I’ve said this for months but they should’ve done this.

In September come out at a press briefing saying Christmas will be different this year, you won’t be able to mix households and all be together. Then keep saying this every couple of weeks or so but every time make sure they keep on saying why and as cases rise link it back to Christmas. Make it clear it’s only one Christmas but will mean we have lots more with loved ones in the future. This makes the public aware of the situation and gets them on board long before the Christmas season; people can then make whatever arrangements they need too. It wouldn’t have been popular but would’ve saved a whole loud of heartache now and besides sometimes leadership is about giving unpopular messages at the right time for the greater good. 

I don't disagree but Christmas was already going to be different, that had been made clear, we knew that and now we can all see the most current data and the current rationale and we can see why it's going to be more different than we all hoped. Maybe they should just put us in lockdown till April to cover every eventuality?

Edited by Barney McGrew
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Scotdy said:

If a crime has been committed you should report it. Hopefully the Police station will have some steps to help you get down off your high horse as you go in with your evidence. 

Think they've handled the pandemic well, and in a manner that isn't to blame for significant loss of life? I'd look forward to hearing your detailed analysis. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Brownie30 said:

You've said it yourself there I'm afraid. This callous, incompetent Conservative government care more about their "popularity", branding and how they can play everyone else off on one another than they do about anything else. After Christmas when the figures get even worse they will be blaming the public immediately, wiping their hands of any blame and the press will lap it up. It is devastating to me that the path to that point is so inevitable. That is why no matter how sensible, safe and correct it would've been, there is no chance this bunch of charlatans would have given the suggestion the time of day. 

I get what you mean and a bit of me agrees. However I’m not entirely sure that their plan is to play everyone off against each other. I think the issue is that they are so ill-equipped to be in government that there is a chasm of leadership at this vital time. It also doesn’t help that the PM is an idiot who either doesn’t see the obvious or refuses to see the obvious events that are coming. It can be seen through the tier systems being introduced/amended multiple times and the late lockdown announcement all because Keir Starmer called for it before. They don’t want to make the tough decisions when it matters and by kicking the can down the road a bit hopes the situation just goes away when it hasn’t, it’s just got worse. 

Edited by Ozanne
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Barney McGrew said:

. Maybe they should just put us in lockdown till April to cover every eventuality?

You jest but I think this is where we're heading. IF this new strain actually does spread at 70% higher rate, the NHS will be quickly overwhelmed if we do anything other than tier 3 minimum for everywhere after Christmas, when it clearly will have spread and be seeding elsewhere in the country quicker than it would in a normal month.

Essentially, if taken at face value and everything they said about the new strain proves to be true. today's announcement was "we're fucked". And if it does turn out to cause worse illness when they've studied the data more...

Edited by efcfanwirral
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Chapple12345 said:

My heart goes out to you, I know many many people who are in the same situation as you now, it really doesnt help for me either we were told to sacrifice so much so thay we could allow this to happen in some form and now it has been so cruelly snatched away

I appreciate that. It really does feel so cruel. I have to hope that sting will dull soon because honestly it's unbearable right now.

5 hours ago, Ozanne said:

Good on you. For what it's worth I think you've made the right decision.

🤷‍♀️ I wish it felt right.

But no, I've awoken having slept for less than four hours, head pounding, eyes swollen and dry from crying, and after a few seconds remembered this shit, that there isn't anything to look forward to, and that an even more contagious strain of the virus is now sweeping across the country, very likely adding months to the time it may take for me to see my parents again.

Honestly I just want someone to knock me out until this is all over.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ok...it's sad about christmas, but really...it is what it is, thn viris has become more infectious, and we have to do our best to not help spread it so more people don't die and health services don't get overrun. That is it. It is one christmas. One day. There are other days. Hopefully in the spring with vaccines and warmer weather people will be able to see family more, but until then we just have to stay away from each other.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, philipsteak said:

I'm no fan, but this seems a bit much

EpoyGSRW4AQ65fe.jpg

Sensationalism sells. It's not incorrect, it's just carefully worded to increase the fear and perpetuate the need for those most affected to have access to the next story. The exact reason why I limit my news intake to the most significant briefings only. Everything else in between, be it on the TV, social media or written press, positive or negative, I do my best to avoid. I decided in March, that this was going to be the best way for me to protect my mental health. I very quickly grew tired of the politicising and subjectivity of it all and when there's 24 hour access beamed into your eyeballs, newspapers have to fill column inches and news channels have to fill air time with exactly those things. It's very difficult to find facts within the opinion so I'm very selective of what I seek out. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...