Jump to content

When will this shit end?


Chrisp1986

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, WestCountryGirl said:

Anyone who has seen even a few of my posts recently might be aware of just how important the opportunity to see my parents was to me.

After talking to my Mum earlier, it's off. I might have still been persuaded to go down - as my partner and I have been isolating, could get tested, drive down etc. - but I think my Mum just wants to be able to look her not-yet-retired former NHS colleagues in the eye and say that we did all we could to get this over with as fast as we can.

I'm not trying to make out I'm a martyr - and if I didn't live with my boyfriend or I was alone I'd undoubtedly make a different decision - but any sweeping statememts about whether people are "doing the right thing", or "falling for the Tories strategy" or whether or not they care or do not care about seeing their family enough, are quite frankly bullshit. 

This situation is shit for everyone. I have been furious at the government before. I've been disgusted. I've been apoplectic with rage. I've cried. I've never had my heart broken by them before, so this is new, and I will add it to the long list of grievances I have with them and their policies.

Out of upvotes. Fantastic post. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, WestCountryGirl said:

Anyone who has seen even a few of my posts recently might be aware of just how important the opportunity to see my parents was to me.

After talking to my Mum earlier, it's off. I might have still been persuaded to go down - as my partner and I have been isolating, could get tested, drive down etc. - but I think my Mum just wants to be able to look her not-yet-retired former NHS colleagues in the eye and say that we did all we could to get this over with as fast as we can.

I'm not trying to make out I'm a martyr - and if I didn't live with my boyfriend or I was alone I'd undoubtedly make a different decision - but any sweeping statememts about whether people are "doing the right thing", or "falling for the Tories strategy" or whether or not they care or do not care about seeing their family enough, are quite frankly bullshit. 

This situation is shit for everyone. I have been furious at the government before. I've been disgusted. I've been apoplectic with rage. I've cried. I've never had my heart broken by them before, so this is new, and I will add it to the long list of grievances I have with them and their policies.

Good on you. For what it's worth I think you've made the right decision.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ok, I think I'm done here. Posters are on here slaughtering each other for having differing opinions on how to deal with the most difficult decisions many of us have ever had to make in our lives. I thought you were all better than that when I joined this community a few months ago. You are all falling into the trap that the Tories are praying for.

I might come back in the new year if people start being nicer to each other - we'll see!

To all the lovely people on here who look out for each other, merry Christmas and a happy new year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, WestCountryGirl said:

Anyone who has seen even a few of my posts recently might be aware of just how important the opportunity to see my parents was to me.

After talking to my Mum earlier, it's off. I might have still been persuaded to go down - as my partner and I have been isolating, could get tested, drive down etc. - but I think my Mum just wants to be able to look her not-yet-retired former NHS colleagues in the eye and say that we did all we could to get this over with as fast as we can.

I'm not trying to make out I'm a martyr - and if I didn't live with my boyfriend or I was alone I'd undoubtedly make a different decision - but any sweeping statememts about whether people are "doing the right thing", or "falling for the Tories strategy" or whether or not they care or do not care about seeing their family enough, are quite frankly bullshit. 

This situation is shit for everyone. I have been furious at the government before. I've been disgusted. I've been apoplectic with rage. I've cried. I've never had my heart broken by them before, so this is new, and I will add it to the long list of grievances I have with them and their policies.

My heart goes out to you, I know many many people who are in the same situation as you now, it really doesnt help for me either we were told to sacrifice so much so thay we could allow this to happen in some form and now it has been so cruelly snatched away

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

A worrying number of Twitter comments seem to be calling for outdoors mask mandates. That is pushing things way too far...

Why? Spain have had this for months and been told they will have it throughout next year, those blaming the British government for causing this need to think about almost every other european country that has very similar restrictions in place. Are all those governments equally incompetent? How have they managed to come up with a similar strategy despite having differing levels of covid and different "strains"?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Gingerfish79 said:

Some videos circulating on Twitter showing London train stations completely rammed as selfish, irresponsible idiots try to get out before the morning. 

Just drove back from work and the traffic out of London is horrendous. Clearly people are going to their bubbles now rather than next week.

Who else will be in tier 4 for Christmas?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, gizmoman said:

Why? Spain have had this for months and been told they will have it throughout next year, those blaming the British government for causing this need to think about almost every other european country that has very similar restrictions in place. Are all those governments equally incompetent? How have they managed to come up with a similar strategy despite having differing levels of covid and different "strains"?

Outdoor mask mandates clearly do very little to control spread. Spain had awful numbers when it had the mandate and good numbers when it still had it. The masks outside didn’t control transmission.

 

Outdoor masks are a pointless invasion of freedom. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is an absolute disaster for me. I don't even know how to begin to explain just how much this has messed up my plans and my head. There are people that I need to see. Like reslly need to see. I don't know what to do. 

 

And before I get shat on, I know how bad the situation is. But I have been given guidance and I've planned for that guidance. Damn. 

Edited by Freddyflintstonree
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Outdoor mask mandates clearly do very little to control spread. Spain had awful numbers when it had the mandate and good numbers when it still had it. The masks outside didn’t control transmission.

 

Outdoor masks are a pointless invasion of freedom. 

So why do you think the Spanish government have mandated them for the next 12 months? Are they stupid or do they have another reason other than disease suppression.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I say this without judgement, because, sure people have got to do what they have to do and I'm not in this situation, but... This train thing really worries me. Everyone is packed in so close, it's a recipe for disaster. I never get as close to my family at Christmas as I do to strangers on a long packed train journey.

The superspreader event isn't Christmas Day, it's right now on these packed trains.

As I said earlier, if I was on one of those trains I would be absolutely shitting it.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Freddyflintstonree said:

This is an absolute disaster for me. I don't even know how to begin to explain just how much this has messed up my plans and my head. There are people that I need to see. Like reslly need to see. I don't know what to do. 

 

And before I get shat on, I know how bad the situation is. But I have been given guidance and I've planned for that guidance. Damn. 

I really feel for you, the situation is awful.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Freddyflintstonree said:

This is an absolute disaster for me. I don't even know how to begin to explain just how much this has messed up my plans and my head. There are people that I need to see. Like reslly need to see. I don't know what to do. 

my suggestion would be to try and sleep on it , and maybe post the situation when things are a little less raw on here tomorrow ... people are all going through tough times and working out what is best for yourself and others is something nobody has ever done on here in the middle of a pandemic before ... my folks often used to tell me to take a breath and I think thats right for many of us 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was responsible for the ‘selfish’ post. I know it’s a strong opinion, and what I’ve read here to the contrary has changed my mind slightly, but I still think what I’ve seen is reckless and irresponsible.

This government have been appalling, the levels of incompetence are astonishing. They should not have set the 5 day, 3 households thresholds so early to raise expectations. And then, when it became clear they had lost control of the situation and despite discovery of a hugely more infectious strain, they refused on multiple occasions to head off the problem and change the rules. 

I can only assume that the most recent data presented in the last 24 hours has scared the life out of the cabinet for them to u-turn now. It must be really horrific because Boris will know that this is a moment that could sink him. ‘Boris cancels Christmas’ will be remembered.

So yes, the government are incompetent and continually compound errors with cockups. I really feel for people having to make that call at such a late stage, it’s not fair, but things have clearly changed massively for the worst and those in an area about to go tier 4 were specifically told to unpack their suitcases because the risk of spreading the new variant to others areas was too high.  Ignoring that, regardless of how useless the government is, most probably places large numbers of other people at risk and, in my view, is completely reckless. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I say this without judgement, because, sure people have got to do what they have to do and I'm not in this situation, but... This train thing really worries me. Everyone is packed in so close, it's a recipe for disaster. I never get as close to my family at Christmas as I do to strangers on a long packed train journey.

The superspreader event isn't Christmas Day, it's right now on these packed trains.

As I said earlier, if I was on one of those trains I would be absolutely shitting it.

And what I believe is the tories knew this would happen - they knew if they would announce this, this would be the outcome.

Yes in the academic sense we can tell people they shouldn’t do it. But people don’t behave like text books say they should.

Edited by Matt42
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

And what I believe is the tories knew this would happen - they knew if they would announce this, this would be the outcome.

Yes in the academic sense we can tel people they shouldn’t do it. But people don’t behave like text books say they should.

I think you credit them with too much forethought .... they lurch from one about turn to another  and we think that they have some clever plan .... maybe they dont and just have no idea 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

And what I believe is the tories knew this would happen - they knew if they would announce this, this would be the outcome.

Yes in the academic sense we can tel people they shouldn’t do it. But people don’t behave like text books say they should.

They didn't set out to look like cocks, they didn't want to be pissing on everyone's chips; things have changed and thankfully they've responded... What else could they do, what would you want them to do, ignore it?

 

Disclaimer: they're all fickin useless!

Edited by Barney McGrew
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wouldn't personally wear a mask outside, we've been told countless times that the virus disperses in the fresh air and therefore I would personally feel comfortable without it on, I'm more than happy to comply with it indoors though still as I do sometimes feel a bit more anxious about people getting close then 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

Why? Spain have had this for months and been told they will have it throughout next year, those blaming the British government for causing this need to think about almost every other european country that has very similar restrictions in place. Are all those governments equally incompetent? How have they managed to come up with a similar strategy despite having differing levels of covid and different "strains"?

The outdoor bit clearly hasn't helped them - I'd imagine it's more of a visual reminder type thing and maybe feel like they're doing all they can. It'll be here soon im sure, and without advice that a wet mask is a pointless mask...

16 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I say this without judgement, because, sure people have got to do what they have to do and I'm not in this situation, but... This train thing really worries me. Everyone is packed in so close, it's a recipe for disaster. I never get as close to my family at Christmas as I do to strangers on a long packed train journey.

The superspreader event isn't Christmas Day, it's right now on these packed trains.

As I said earlier, if I was on one of those trains I would be absolutely shitting it.

I think the only sensible option is, after christmas and not before to avoid encouraging people to do it, maybe some sort of reverse isolation, where people are encouraged to self isolate if theyve taken people from affected areas into their homes? Might mitigate some of the spread in other areas? 

 

 

Edited by efcfanwirral
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...