When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 minute ago, northernringo said:

Yeah, it is pretty crazy. Realistically, Windsor Park could probably safely hold a few thousand.

In the Irish Premiership we are allowed a certain % of spectators too so I'm not sure why England aren't allowing any fans at all even at L1/L2 level.

I assume it's less about the risk AT the event and more about the heightened risk of crowding in transport ON THE WAY to the event.

1 minute ago, northernringo said:

Yeah, it is pretty crazy. Realistically, Windsor Park could probably safely hold a few thousand.

In the Irish Premiership we are allowed a certain % of spectators too so I'm not sure why England aren't allowing any fans at all even at L1/L2 level.

Good luck qualifying. Let's hope Scotland qualify too so we get a full house for the home nations.

Just now, xxialac said:

I assume it's less about the risk AT the event and more about the heightened risk of crowding in transport ON THE WAY to the event.

It’s also pre game and halftime crowding that’s also an issue. That 15 minute dash for a pint, pie and a piss will be where the biggest covid breaches are likely to occur. 

Yes - there was a lot of chatter about how Cheltenham was a huge covid event but there are lots of indoor, covered areas where people congregate while they're at the bar, going for a piss, putting a bet on, whatever - often where people will hang out for a while. It's a lot more nuanced than just having 'indoor' and 'outdoor' events.

5 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

It’s also pre game and halftime crowding that’s also an issue. That 15 minute dash for a pint, pie and a piss will be where the biggest covid breaches are likely to occur. 

Anfield would be tough for that, it’s a very cramped stadium. Not impossible but difficult. 

Premier League clubs can survive without people through the turnstiles the lower leagues can't. 

Portsmouth are losing £700k a month due to no fans. We were turning a profit before Covid. Many of the lower league clubs are really struggling hence the stupid wage cap and the cancellation of the season last year. 

More examples of the rich getting richer due to Covid.

Edited by RobertProsineckisLighter

24 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

The joys of the old stadiums. Aren’t you getting a new one?

Yep and it seems to be going full steam ahead as well - I got a survey through about matchday experience yesterday. I was getting concerned we might not actually get back inside the stadium at full capacity before we leave it but the vaccine news has made that unlikely now

10 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Mass testing is going to be used to get students home for Christmas. Students will test between 30/11 and 6/12. Those who test negative will be off campus by the 9th. Any positive testers will self isolate and then get tested again to allow them home before the big day itself. 

There are so many holes in this plan - I guess they're at least trying something unlike September when they arrived..

1 minute ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Some will slip through the cracks for sure. But remember that these plans are intended to reduce the spread of cases, not to eliminate it altogether. 

I'm thinking more the enforcement- it sounds like they'll need to be locked down for the testing period to make this work, with security checking their test status to leave 

1 minute ago, efcfanwirral said:

I'm thinking more the enforcement- it sounds like they'll need to be locked down for the testing period to make this work, with security checking their test status to leave 

As they will be looking to leave for Christmas only a few days/weeks after the lockdown ends, hopefully most of them will test negative anyway. 

3 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Well, you’d think if your choice is to stay until the 23rd and get home for Christmas, or go home early and kill your granny, you might isolate for a couple weeks 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Will they need that? I know some people are stupid but these aren't SNP MPs here, there can't be many that test positive for a disease that, if not dangerous to them, could kill their relatives, and decide they will go back home anyway, instead of waiting two weeks, when they can still then go home for Christmas.

• Upvote 1

Just now, DeanoL said:

Will they need that? I know some people are stupid but these aren't SNP MPs here, there can't be many that test positive for a disease that, if not dangerous to them, could kill their relatives, and decide they will go back home anyway, instead of waiting two weeks, when they can still then go home for Christmas.

I guess maybe some with rich families might be looking for an early inheritance payout.

1 minute ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Well, you’d think if your choice is to stay until the 23rd and get home for Christmas, or go home early and kill your granny, you might isolate for a couple weeks 

doesnt the availability of accommodation and the cost come into play here ? do students not get kicked out by landlords at a certain date ? .... ive not been to uni but I think this is the case 

Just now, crazyfool1 said:

doesnt the availability of accommodation and the cost come into play here ? do students not get kicked out by landlords at a certain date ? .... ive not been to uni but I think this is the case 

Not over Christmas usually, no. When I was a student just under a decade ago, rental contracts usually ran from fresher’s week to the end of the academic year inclusive. There was no stoppage over Christmas and you could choose to stay if you wanted to (but no one actually did)