When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

10 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Explains the timing for the lockdown news. Cummings certainly knows when to make headlines. 

21 minutes ago, Chapple12345 said:

Completely agree with this, we're now going to have 2 days of endless panic before we actually hear what will happen 

And after 2 days of madness, the announcement will end up being a new official definition of what a substantial meal is

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

And after 2 days of madness, the announcement will end up being a new official definition of what a substantial meal is

Painfully accurate, it will probably be the most basic of measures - I can't see them being as strict on measures for this one if they're going for the balance health and economy approach 

This is infuriating. They had time to act and didn't and now they've briefed it late on Friday to test out how it will play with the public. It's cruel and unfair to leave people in limbo speculating on this stuff. I hate this government so much. Would be nice just for once to feel that the people in charge during crisis gave a shit about the people they govern.

11 hours ago, jparx said:

Lots of very grim reading today. Anecdotally it seems much worse now than it ever did during the Spring. I knew one person who had Covid back in the Spring - now I know about 10 that have had it recently/currently including 3 separate family members (all okay, just feeling really rough) and I’m currently self isolating after being in contact with someone. Might just be an outlier, but it feels out of control.

One of the biggest things for me is people’s behaviour hasn’t changed with the new restrictions. People, in my experience, are openly ignoring them. The tier approach doesn’t work and the government needs to be more heavy handed with clear guidance ASAP to stem the utter shit show we’re heading towards. 

Friend of mine is an ICU consultant up here.

He just shared these figures which make for sobering reading, bearing in mind the tighter concentration in timescale of admissions and how long this is predicted to last. Hospitals are on their knees already.

These are ICU admissions - general admissions are far higher.

icu2.jpg

icu1.jpg

Edited by Copperface

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

And was it patronising to know how it would play out, or was it correct and accurate?

When trying to win an election it doesn't matter how right you are, it instead matters whether you can get others to agree with you.

It was patronising and self fulfilling. And my dad would like to see many of the policies implemented, he just didn’t like the man he perceived as weak. I wonder if it isnt a little chauvinistic. Perhaps men of a certain generation have difficulty being lead by anybody who doesnt embody that archetypal masculine leader.

The second paragraph quoted I do agree with but polls at the time showed that many of Corbyn’s policies were popular- nationalising rails, free university fees, investing in the NHS etc. It was the man they had an issue with. And by the same token,  Starmer has now alienated most of the party membership and a fair chunk of the votership. So whatever he does, I don’t believe he will be able to galvanise enough support to win an election outright. The trust is broken.

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

you should listen to your father.

He’s a good man and a lifelong labour voter.

But that boomer generation sitting on their buy to let portfolios watching their kids struggle to get on the housing ladder with a mountain of student debt having voted in governments that lead us into war, deregulated the financial system, voted for us to leave the EU and set fire to the natural world.

Why should we listen to anything they have to say on politics? Even if they were voting labour, they’ve been utterly ineffective. You should have to retire from voting at 60 imo.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

14 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

Why should we listen to anything they have to say on politics? Even if they were voting labour, they’ve been utterly ineffective. You should have to retire from voting at 60 imo.

Maybe link voting to tax payments. No age barriers but if you’re paying income tax or other tax on savings etc then you should have a say on how it’s spent. 

This would also mean 16 year olds can vote too if they are working. 

1 minute ago, squirrelarmy said:

Maybe link voting to tax payments. No age barriers but if you’re paying income tax or other tax on savings etc then you should have a say on how it’s spent. 

This would also mean 16 year olds can vote too if they are working. 

No taxation without representation 

28 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

This is such a grim read;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-54756950

All worst case scenario stuff of course, but the idea of deaths peaking in late December is horrendous for those families :(

The thing that gets me is that most of us knew this was coming, so if we as member of the public can see it why can’t the people in charge? If there was ever a time for a change in how things are run it’s now. 

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

The thing that gets me is that most of us knew this was coming, so if we as member of the public can see it why can’t the people in charge? If there was ever a time for a change in how things are run it’s now. 

I know, but what's most depressing is we are so far from getting that change. This is just so shit.

It sounds like they didn't actually intend the leak from what they are saying, or is this all a front? Not sure how Cummings could leak it without Boris knowing he was going to.

1 minute ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I know, but what's most depressing is we are so far from getting that change. This is just so shit.

It sounds like they didn't actually intend the leak from what they are saying, or is this all a front? Not sure how Cummings could leak it without Boris knowing he was going to.

They were probably going to try to dress the lockdown up so they don’t seem to be U turning however now they can’t and they look even more stupid.