When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

51 minutes ago, RobertProsineckisLighter said:

@Toilet Duck Sorry for what might be a stupid question... But it just occurred to me this morning and I don't know anyone else that would even begin to be able to give any sort of informed answer.

If viral load is important in determining severity and I have Covid and I'm wearing a mask am I not increasing my viral load by constantly breathing it back in? 

Granted if your positive and you know that you shouldn't be going anywhere where you need to wear a mask. 

Just a random thought I had while having a stroll before work. 

Howdy, not a stupid question at all, rather something entirely reasonable to wonder! The rate the virus is replicating inside your cells will outstrip any you might breathe back in though. If it was a major factor, we’d see a big shift in asymptomatic infections suddenly becoming symptomatic once mask wearing became prevalent and that hasn’t happened (in fact, it looks like the opposite is occurring and masks are also protecting the wearer to some extent by reducing the viral load of their initial exposure...some of the enclosed outbreaks on cruise ships and Navy vessels have provided nice clean evidence on this...those wearing masks had fewer infections and more asymptomatic cases among those that did get infected vs those that didn’t use masks). You would also be shedding virus all the time, so will likely be breathing it back in all day and all night once you are indoors (and there’s more and more evidence of aerosol transmission emerging now, so indoors with poor ventilation, not good! Open a window basically!). 

• Upvote 1

Just now, steviewevie said:

all gone very quiet in brexitland, which probably means they're actually talking to each other instead of the usual threatening tweets. 

It looks like they’ll be a deal, whether it’s any good is a completely different matter. 

19 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

New Stateman thread on latest US election polls...

My view on this is that the North East is where this election is going to be decided.  I'm fairly certain that Georgia is going to go blue as well.  The fact that there is some confidence towards Biden taking Florida is as key a factor as any of the elections this century. 

41 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

Howdy, not a stupid question at all, rather something entirely reasonable to wonder! The rate the virus is replicating inside your cells will outstrip any you might breathe back in though. If it was a major factor, we’d see a big shift in asymptomatic infections suddenly becoming symptomatic once mask wearing became prevalent and that hasn’t happened (in fact, it looks like the opposite is occurring and masks are also protecting the wearer to some extent by reducing the viral load of their initial exposure...some of the enclosed outbreaks on cruise ships and Navy vessels have provided nice clean evidence on this...those wearing masks had fewer infections and more asymptomatic cases among those that did get infected vs those that didn’t use masks). You would also be shedding virus all the time, so will likely be breathing it back in all day and all night once you are indoors (and there’s more and more evidence of aerosol transmission emerging now, so indoors with poor ventilation, not good! Open a window basically!). 

Cheers - thanks for the reply. Like I say just a random thought while out earlier today. 

18 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

60DD75B3-9576-4CD1-B67D-6E22A0CBD207.png

3 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

If true, then Hancock stitched up again, doing the rounds this morning explaining why they weren't going to do this

On both of these is it a massive loyalty test- they'll need to be willing to go out in numbers to talk about what a success Brexit is, completely at odds with reality.

3 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

I really hope so but I do wonder if they have their equivalent of shy Tories who will say they are voting one way but on the day vote the other. 

The "shy Trump" effect if it was there should be stronger in phone polls than online polls, as you're more likely to not want to admit you're a dirty Trumpist to person on the phone than when clicking boxes on a computer. Phone polls aren't out of line with online polls so there probably isn't a significantly large amount of shy Trumping going about.

4 hours ago, foolee said:

Absolute joke if this happens. Can't do anything but because it's Christmas lets go and spread the disease. Either restrictions stay put or the restrictions are lifted. Not oh let's do it for one day because of the day.

It's not that simple though, because people don't necessary follow the rules. And there's no real way to enforce them.

More than that, the psychology of it is that if people feel the rules are unreasonable, they're more likely to ignore them entirely. Whereas if they feel they are reasonable, they'll likely follow them. So a family that normally have 20 people around for Christmas, if we have the rule of six, might go "fuck it, we'll have everyone around for three days then and do what we normally do". But if it's relaxed to, say, a rule of 12 for one day, they might decide they could split into two groups and both have some semblance of what they normally have.

You have to work out what is reasonable enough that it won't have loads of people just completely ignoring it.

4 hours ago, Matt42 said:

There will be zero compliance of COVID restrictions at Christmas. They might as well let people get on with it.

For my Nan Christmas is the best day of the year and she waits all year for it. She’s already said to my mum that if she’s high risk and likely to get very ill with COVID, she’d rather have one last Christmas before she does.

On the other hand with stuff like this, while I understand it, there's also the fact that a vaccine is around the corner, and sort I feel like, well, skip Christmas and do something nice for Nan in March maybe. And June too. Get the family around a bit more often so she has more than just Christmas to look forwards to. A lot of the talk about older people wanting to just risk it as they love Christmas so much and might not see another... it's not Christmas they love, it's their family. They can be given that experience any time of the year. We should be doing that, rather than encouraging them to risk their lives!

3 hours ago, foolee said:

Going to a gig/holiday/festival is what keeps me going but I can't do that right now. Doesn't make it right or okay just because it's someone's best day of the year. 

You can do two of the three of them right now. There are socially distanced gigs for those who really need to go to gigs. You can still go on holiday, you just have to quarantine afterwards (but if you've not had a holiday all year because of this, you'd have plenty of leave left most likely - companies screwing furloughed staff aside).

2 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

Not sure who runs the oxlyers twitter account ... would have thought they would want the festival to happen ... some odd retweets 

I had been somewhat on the fence over this whole Covid palava, but now *checks tweet* Rat_Licker1984 has explained things to me I feel much more informed.

Thanks Rat_Licker1984!

• Upvote 1