When will this shit end?

4 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

I honestly think the office/friend Christmas parties ahead of Christmas, and the New Year parties, are a far bigger problem than the actual few days of Christmas.

During that few days people are not at work, generally not going out, schools aren't in, unis aren't in. You'll probably see fewer people those few days than you would normally if you're still going out to work regularly.

I even remember at the start of lockdown, people were literally saying "can't go out, stuck in with the family, kids off school, it's like bloody Christmas". I don't think its the problem people think it will be, and I don't think relaxing the restrictions around it *a little* would have a major negative effect.

Exactly. Even if small family gatherings are allowed, the overall number of contacts your average person would have is lower than usual. 

• Replies 40.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• steviewevie

• Ozanne

• crazyfool1

• zahidf

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think on a music festival message board it’s a legitimate question to ask. It doesn’t suggest the OP doesn’t give a shit about anything else. Of course there are much bigger things to be worrie

I can’t get the following thought out of my head and it’s making the old bottom lip wobble: Wednesday evening at the 2021 festival, the sun has been out all day but temperature not stifling, perf

Howdy folks...sorry I'm late to the party! Was in a meeting and could see notifications coming up! So, looks very promising indeed. The vaccinated group not only didn't develop severe disease, bu

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

I'm not religious in the slightest but I have a feeling that the 25th of December is more than just spending time with loved ones for many!

Pfft, he wasn't even born then!

One assumes they'll be giving us lots of old classic uplifting type stuff on the TV over the Christmas period.

* Mrs Brown's Boys can absolutely get in the bin though.

• Upvote 1
11 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

I honestly think the office/friend Christmas parties ahead of Christmas, and the New Year parties, are a far bigger problem than the actual few days of Christmas.

During that few days people are not at work, generally not going out, schools aren't in, unis aren't in. You'll probably see fewer people those few days than you would normally if you're still going out to work regularly.

I even remember at the start of lockdown, people were literally saying "can't go out, stuck in with the family, kids off school, it's like bloody Christmas". I don't think its the problem people think it will be, and I don't think relaxing the restrictions around it *a little* would have a major negative effect.

It’s more about families being together inside, no windows open and possible older members of the family being there. The virus being picked up then transmitted when people move around in the week after seeing other groups. 

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

It’s more about families being together inside, no windows open and possible older members of the family being there. The virus being picked up then transmitted when people move around in the week after seeing other groups. 

I’m going to straight up ask you.

What should be allowed and what shouldn’t over the Christmas week? Be very specific. 

11 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Our workplace (large high street retailer, I work in the HQ) have already said Christmas parties not happening but they would look at other ways for us to enjoy the festivities

For me personally me and my fella usually spend Christmas together and we visit out families on a weekend either side of Christmas (as my side is in the NE and his Shrewsbury way), our families already been told they won't be seeing us this year as not taking any risks. It's hard as I've not seen my family since January but making sure have much more regular Skype/Zoom or phone calls with them

1 minute ago, shoptildrop said:

Our workplace (large high street retailer, I work in the HQ) have already said Christmas parties not happening but they would look at other ways for us to enjoy the festivities

For me personally me and my fella usually spend Christmas together and we visit out families on a weekend either side of Christmas (as my side is in the NE and his Shrewsbury way), our families already been told they won't be seeing us this year as not taking any risks. It's hard as I've not seen my family since January but making sure have much more regular Skype/Zoom or phone calls with them

Christmas parties can’t really happen how they would have anyway with the rule of 6 in place. My work is doing the same looking at virtual things we can do like escape rooms or murder mysteries. 

2 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Christmas parties can’t really happen how they would have anyway with the rule of 6 in place. My work is doing the same looking at virtual things we can do like escape rooms or murder mysteries. 

I would rather be locked in a room with no escape for the rest of eternity than attend a virtual one with my work team. 

• Upvote 1
8 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

What should be allowed and what shouldn’t over the Christmas week? Be very specific. 

People can celebrate in small groups apart from people in Essex and London. 

People there have to spend the week staring at a stale mince pie and wait until the end of the week before they eat it. 

2 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

People can celebrate in small groups apart from people in Essex and London. 

People there have to spend the week staring at a stale mince pie and wait until the end of the week before they eat it. 

sounds better than my xmas .... stick :) 

Sunak just confirmed NW businesses would be backdated to beginning of August, so it is including the "trial" version of tiers that were done in NW, Yorkshire and Leicester over the summer 

13 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Christ, that sounds absolutely horrific.

• Upvote 2

Hey Guys. 
So I really want to organize. 
We are mostly are group of like minded people and smart well rounded people.
But seriously how long can we just keep posting how much everything sucks here without doing something. 
Obviously our voices alone will not do anything, but at this point we are facing an absolute corrupt government, which was okay before because before Bojo and Co. there was some form of accountability, MPS would lose their jobs for this incompetence, But we are looking at a state of politic where our current government employs thousands of bots on twitter/social media to further their agenda, as well as the stooges they have in newspapers. -Even though More and more people are seeing the tories for qwhat they are, scum with no policy only a insatiable lust for power and money. - This government stands for nothing and we can't stand for that. At least other Tories leaders have seemed like they have had more of an agenda beyond stripping the country of it's resources and money. 

Petitions aren't working, voting is four years away. 

My MP voted against free school meals, but he's a millionaire who I think has rarely a public appearance in Huntingdon other than to campaign. - I sent him an email about his decision to vote against it, but what does he care about this one email. Most tories aren't voting because they believe that Kids shouldn't go hungry, they fall in line with the whip and thought as to not embarrass their leaders. 

I think we need to start a page or group or something, somewhere where we can all bring in everyone we know who feels the same around the country. We can organize to send mass emails to MPS, We can support people up and down the country who are rightly frustrated.

Normally I'd say it's not democratic to rage against the voted in party, but Tories have no respect for law, for democracy, Some of them would probably kill before owning up to their mistakes. It's a mafia government, if you need evidence for that. Just look at the photo of Gavin Williamson around the exams crisis, he posed with a whip and red book, sending out a message of black mail to other MPs.

What if we can get more information about what is going in parliament.

I know this can sound ridiculous, but seriously. What is going on right now? - Tory voters aren't benefitting from their decision unless their rich. 

What can we do? any suggestions for something like this welcome. - 

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

I’m going to straight up ask you.

I know it wasn't directed at me but I would say people can create a "Christmas bubble" of up to 12 people, that must be exclusive. This is in place between 24 December to 1 January. There are no restrictions on meeting within this (though it's advised to avoid too much hugging or close contact where feasible).

All hospitality is closed, only essential workers should go to work (effectively 3 extra bank holidays on 28/29/30 December).

After this, people should continue to work from home where possible. Maybe even keep hospitality closed until Jan 9.

1 minute ago, ace56blaa said:

Hey Guys. 
So I really want to organize. 
We are mostly are group of like minded people and smart well rounded people.
But seriously how long can we just keep posting how much everything sucks here without doing something. 
Obviously our voices alone will not do anything, but at this point we are facing an absolute corrupt government, which was okay before because before Bojo and Co. there was some form of accountability, MPS would lose their jobs for this incompetence, But we are looking at a state of politic where our current government employs thousands of bots on twitter/social media to further their agenda, as well as the stooges they have in newspapers. -Even though More and more people are seeing the tories for qwhat they are, scum with no policy only a insatiable lust for power and money. - This government stands for nothing and we can't stand for that. At least other Tories leaders have seemed like they have had more of an agenda beyond stripping the country of it's resources and money. 

Petitions aren't working, voting is four years away. 

My MP voted against free school meals, but he's a millionaire who I think has rarely a public appearance in Huntingdon other than to campaign. - I sent him an email about his decision to vote against it, but what does he care about this one email. Most tories aren't voting because they believe that Kids shouldn't go hungry, they fall in line with the whip and thought as to not embarrass their leaders. 

I think we need to start a page or group or something, somewhere where we can all bring in everyone we know who feels the same around the country. We can organize to send mass emails to MPS, We can support people up and down the country who are rightly frustrated.

Normally I'd say it's not democratic to rage against the voted in party, but Tories have no respect for law, for democracy, Some of them would probably kill before owning up to their mistakes. It's a mafia government, if you need evidence for that. Just look at the photo of Gavin Williamson around the exams crisis, he posed with a whip and red book, sending out a message of black mail to other MPs.

What if we can get more information about what is going in parliament.

I know this can sound ridiculous, but seriously. What is going on right now? - Tory voters aren't benefitting from their decision unless their rich. 

What can we do? any suggestions for something like this welcome. - 

ive asked this a few times .... im clueless but thankyou for a far more detailed post :) 

7 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

I know it wasn't directed at me but I would say people can create a "Christmas bubble" of up to 12 people, that must be exclusive. This is in place between 24 December to 1 January. There are no restrictions on meeting within this (though it's advised to avoid too much hugging or close contact where feasible).

All hospitality is closed, only essential workers should go to work (effectively 3 extra bank holidays on 28/29/30 December).

After this, people should continue to work from home where possible. Maybe even keep hospitality closed until Jan 9.

That’s a very good plan Imo.

I worry a lot of people would take the piss and attend multiple different 12 person gatherings with non exclusive bubbles.