Jump to content

When will this shit end?


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, MEGABOWL said:

About 70% of the people I know put on Weight this year. Plus there’s the Mental Health benefits many take from going to the gym.

I lost a fair bit during lockdown. No idea how much but the trousers were definitely looser. Lots of free time, nice weather and no tourists meant I was doing a lot of walks. Put most of it back on since going back to work in July. Largely sedentary job and lack of motivation since has not been a good combo. Probably still below where I was in March but not by much.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 41.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • steviewevie

    4919

  • Ozanne

    3590

  • crazyfool1

    3508

  • zahidf

    2334

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think on a music festival message board it’s a legitimate question to ask. It doesn’t suggest the OP doesn’t give a shit about anything else. Of course there are much bigger things to be worrie

I can’t get the following thought out of my head and it’s making the old bottom lip wobble: Wednesday evening at the 2021 festival, the sun has been out all day but temperature not stifling, perf

Howdy folks...sorry I'm late to the party! Was in a meeting and could see notifications coming up! So, looks very promising indeed. The vaccinated group not only didn't develop severe disease, bu

Posted Images

18 minutes ago, st dan said:

His main issue right now is that he cannot confirm how we should finance the nationwide circuit breaker - the 80% furlough scheme just isn’t sustainable any longer for the full country. It is probably what is needed, but without the ‘money tree’ i don’t know how he can continue to push for it to happen. 

Here’s about £300bn to start with. 

https://cnduk.org/resources/205-billion-cost-trident/

https://www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/explainers/high-speed-2-costs
 

 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, st dan said:

His main issue right now is that he cannot confirm how we should finance the nationwide circuit breaker - the 80% furlough scheme just isn’t sustainable any longer for the full country. It is probably what is needed, but without the ‘money tree’ i don’t know how he can continue to push for it to happen. 

It isn’t about what Keir would do, it’s PMQs and Johnson is the PM. We are the 5th richest country in the world I’m sure we can work it out so we can continue to cover 80% of people’s wages who are being forced to do the right thing. If the Government can continue to to pay £7k a day on consultants, millions on PPE contracts to their mates and £12b on a failed test and trace scheme then they should be able to to find the money to continue to support workers. It’s also important point out that we wouldn’t need another lockdown if Johnson and his government had effectively worked and improved over the summer on areas such as test and trace.

Starmers is damned either way, when he supported government measures people criticised and now he’s offering a different option he’s criticised. Yet Johnson can treat people like he’s done in the past few days, dodge questions in the Commons, continue to show general incompetence and it seems to be overlooked. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Someone sent this to a WhatsApp group earlier. Maths isn't my forte - but for this to be true, if we've had say 45,000 (approx) deaths in the UK so far, shouldn't we have been hit by around 70,000 asteroids since the beginning of the p andemic? 

d9668aa1-92a6-4dfc-9673-c9907afdf5f9.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, st dan said:

I agree with you there, it is a strange format. But at the same time, you can’t allow Kier to have free reign to ask whatever ambiguous questions he wants without some response back from Boris back. 
And this isn’t me backing the Tories in any way at all - just think that it’s easy to suggest a counter to the current Tier approach, but you should be asked to explain what/how/why etc. 

Keir has explained why they are proposing a circuit breaker, he has explained it during PMQs before and even gave reasons for it today. It is a short sharp shock, that has an end date and could have dramatic effect on saving time to get track and trace up and running, these are all things that have been said by Keir, Labour and many scientists over the weeks and in PMQs. 

Boris Johnson's criticisms of the circuit breaker are all baseless fantasies he has cooked up to make it sound bad. - Like "wheres the exit strategy". It's literally a finite strategy with a end goal built in. "he wants to close schools" - Keir said literally the opposite. 

Keir might be to optimistic than the general public are smart enough to see through Boris lies. But I doubt the general public is watching PMQs. Most people with half a braincell can see Boris is lying constantly, repeating himself and not answering questions. 

Maybe if boris answered his questions, Keir would be more willing to address Boris deflections. But that's what they are deflections, you can't answer a deflection else the opponent will know they work. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, swede said:

We've got a way to go with the Graves disease im afraid. 

I understand gyms spacing out fitness classes but the HIIT i usually go to is a private fitness academy, thats all they do, I see the videos they put online each day and just shake my head. I know they havent had a single case yet but it just looks a recipe for disaster to me. 

Yes sorry, I don't know anything about Graves disease, but I meant recovering from that flu bug at least.

And yeah I get where you're coming from. If I didn't feel my gym was spacing people out properly I wouldn't be going back either.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Homer said:

Someone sent this to a WhatsApp group earlier. Maths isn't my forte - but for this to be true, if we've had say 45,000 (approx) deaths in the UK so far, shouldn't we have been hit by around 70,000 asteroids since the beginning of the p andemic? 

d9668aa1-92a6-4dfc-9673-c9907afdf5f9.jpg

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/factcheck/2020/10/16/fact-check-chances-nov-2-asteroid-strike-less-than-covid-death/3679429001/

tldr: people are bad with statistics/numbers

Edited by thrillhouse188
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ace56blaa said:

Keir has explained why they are proposing a circuit breaker, he has explained it during PMQs before and even gave reasons for it today. It is a short sharp shock, that has an end date and could have dramatic effect on saving time to get track and trace up and running, these are all things that have been said by Keir, Labour and many scientists over the weeks and in PMQs. 

Boris Johnson's criticisms of the circuit breaker are all baseless fantasies he has cooked up to make it sound bad. - Like "wheres the exit strategy". It's literally a finite strategy with a end goal built in. "he wants to close schools" - Keir said literally the opposite. 

Keir might be to optimistic than the general public are smart enough to see through Boris lies. But I doubt the general public is watching PMQs. Most people with half a braincell can see Boris is lying constantly, repeating himself and not answering questions. 

Maybe if boris answered his questions, Keir would be more willing to address Boris deflections. But that's what they are deflections, you can't answer a deflection else the opponent will know they work. 

But this is where party politics probably comes ahead of the interest of the nation. If Boris was angling for another lockdown, would Kier be suggesting a more localised Tier approach? Who knows, but I wouldn’t rule it out. 
The constant fighting should be put aside to come together to guide us through this mess. There can be elements taken from both parties approaches that would be in the best interest of all. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Homer said:

Someone sent this to a WhatsApp group earlier. Maths isn't my forte - but for this to be true, if we've had say 45,000 (approx) deaths in the UK so far, shouldn't we have been hit by around 70,000 asteroids since the beginning of the p andemic? 

d9668aa1-92a6-4dfc-9673-c9907afdf5f9.jpg

Actually it is common for the planet to be hit with an asteroid, they are normally small and get burnt up so it's not an impact event but both sets of those numbers look like made up shit.

 

Edited by jump
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, jump said:

Actually it is common for the planet to be hit with an asteroid, they are normally small and get burnt up so it's not an impact event but both sets of those numbers look like made up shit.

 

There’s actually a fairly big one that could be hitting just before the US election. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, st dan said:

His main defence was that Starmer wants the nationwide circuit breaker lockdown, whilst at the same time is criticising the economic packages for those in Tier 3. He’s clearly angling for a return of the 80% furlough scheme whilst we have a full lockdown again, but it’s quite apparent that isn’t going to happen, mainly because we simply can’t afford it to. 

can't we? We can just borrow more can't we?

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, st dan said:

But this is where party politics probably comes ahead of the interest of the nation. If Boris was angling for another lockdown, would Kier be suggesting a more localised Tier approach? Who knows, but I wouldn’t rule it out. 
The constant fighting should be put aside to come together to guide us through this mess. There can be elements taken from both parties approaches that would be in the best interest of all. 

I'm sorry but you have clearly fallen for the tory rhetoric. 

Keir Starmer and Labour have consistently supported the government measures throughout the lockdown. They criticize them when there is things that don't make sense, like the 10m curfew, but they were always wanting to put differences aside and support lockdown and restrictions 

The govenrment and opposition should put their difference aside and work together. - But the tory idea of working together is do whatever we say with unwavering support or we'll crush you. 

If Keir puts forth support for government restrictions but criticizes an aspect of them, like supporting stricter measure but understanding more financial support is needed. The the government accuses them of U-turning and not supporting the government. When in fact the Tories are the ones literally U-turning on policies because they are incompetent and refusing to work constructively with Labour, Scotland, The North, The EU. Torys dont know how to work together during a national crisis, because they are only know how to play political games in order to increase their wallet size. It's why when asked if they are going to extend furlough, they point how effective and generous furlough is. "We've already given this much for bla bla" as to win political points on schemes and funding that are ending or left millions to fend for themselves are generous. 

At the end of the day, its the oppositions job to oppose the government, I don't believe that they are simply doing it for political reasons, because they waited for the government to ignore their own scientists before they dropped support. Labour actually seem to care about the science and implications of lockdown. Boris just says he does for points. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ace56blaa said:

I'm sorry but you have clearly fallen for the tory rhetoric. 

Keir Starmer and Labour have consistently supported the government measures throughout the lockdown. They criticize them when there is things that don't make sense, like the 10m curfew, but they were always wanting to put differences aside and support lockdown and restrictions 

The govenrment and opposition should put their difference aside and work together. - But the tory idea of working together is do whatever we say with unwavering support or we'll crush you. 

If Keir puts forth support for government restrictions but criticizes an aspect of them, like supporting stricter measure but understanding more financial support is needed. The the government accuses them of U-turning and not supporting the government. When in fact the Tories are the ones literally U-turning on policies because they are incompetent and refusing to work constructively with Labour, Scotland, The North, The EU. Torys dont know how to work together during a national crisis, because they are only know how to play political games in order to increase their wallet size. It's why when asked if they are going to extend furlough, they point how effective and generous furlough is. "We've already given this much for bla bla" as to win political points on schemes and funding that are ending or left millions to fend for themselves are generous. 

At the end of the day, its the oppositions job to oppose the government, I don't believe that they are simply doing it for political reasons, because they waited for the government to ignore their own scientists before they dropped support. Labour actually seem to care about the science and implications of lockdown. Boris just says he does for points. 

Are any other countries around the world in a full scale lockdown right now? To the levels we saw in the Spring? 
If it was purely the only solution and was fully backed by the science, then why hasn’t the approach been adopted around the globe? The obvious reason is due to the economic impacts to all of this. The Tories have obviously handled this terribly, but I don’t think the solution is simply just another short term full lockdown.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, st dan said:

Are any other countries around the world in a full scale lockdown right now? To the levels we saw in the Spring? 
If it was purely the only solution and was fully backed by the science, then why hasn’t the approach been adopted around the globe? The obvious reason is due to the economic impacts to all of this. The Tories have obviously handled this terribly, but I don’t think the solution is simply just another short term full lockdown.

Wales are.  New Zealand was.  Part of Australia has just come out of it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Yes sorry, I don't know anything about Graves disease, but I meant recovering from that flu bug at least.

And yeah I get where you're coming from. If I didn't feel my gym was spacing people out properly I wouldn't be going back either.

Thanks appreciate that, shes not 100% but back at work, just knackered in an evening. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, st dan said:

Are any other countries around the world in a full scale lockdown right now? To the levels we saw in the Spring? 
If it was purely the only solution and was fully backed by the science, then why hasn’t the approach been adopted around the globe? The obvious reason is due to the economic impacts to all of this. The Tories have obviously handled this terribly, but I don’t think the solution is simply just another short term full lockdown.

Australia just emerging from one as they have started to exit the winter 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

Wales are.  New Zealand was.  Part of Australia has just come out of it.

and Ireland?

But, countries we're most similar to in Europe aren't doing the lockdown thing either..trying to keep it local/regional.

I'm not sure which is worse economically, local Tier3 restrictions that last for months, or a 2 to 3 week full national lockdown? Trouble with the circuit break thing is when to exit it, and what restrictions to have in place when do exit.

No easy answers to any of it. If Tier3 doesn't work then Starmer can do the told you so thing...but Whitty did say Tier3 restrictions probably wouldn't be enough and local leaders would have to put in other measures to bring numbers down.

Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, st dan said:

His main defence was that Starmer wants the nationwide circuit breaker lockdown, whilst at the same time is criticising the economic packages for those in Tier 3. He’s clearly angling for a return of the 80% furlough scheme whilst we have a full lockdown again, but it’s quite apparent that isn’t going to happen, mainly because the Tories have decided they don't want to spend the money. 

Fixed

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, st dan said:

Are any other countries around the world in a full scale lockdown right now? To the levels we saw in the Spring? 
If it was purely the only solution and was fully backed by the science, then why hasn’t the approach been adopted around the globe? The obvious reason is due to the economic impacts to all of this. The Tories have obviously handled this terribly, but I don’t think the solution is simply just another short term full lockdown.

That’s the point, it’s only needed now because of the Tories miss-management through the summer. So because they did muck it up Starmer and SAGE are calling for a shorter lockdown so we can fix those mistakes. Starmer wouldn’t need to call for another lockdown if Johnson hadn’t cocked it all up again. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Australia just emerging from one as they have started to exit the winter 

That was localised to Victoria wasn’t it? So no different to the Tiered approaches in the NW. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, st dan said:

Are any other countries around the world in a full scale lockdown right now? To the levels we saw in the Spring? 
If it was purely the only solution and was fully backed by the science, then why hasn’t the approach been adopted around the globe? The obvious reason is due to the economic impacts to all of this. The Tories have obviously handled this terribly, but I don’t think the solution is simply just another short term full lockdown.

CIRCUIT BREAKERS have been used across the world. In Australia, New Zealand, South Korea a return to lockdown or quick lockdown have been used to curb the virus when infection rates have gone up.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/coronavirus-circuit-breaker-lockdown-uk-singapore-israel-new-zealand-keir-starmer-b1032283.html
Some more examples here, aswell as the most obvious examples: Ireland and Wales and Scotland,

A circuit breaker isn't a return to the full strict measures of march and nor are people suggesting that, it's damn close to those measures, but the it could save us from HAVING to go into lockdown when the govenrment fuck up royally as they alway do. 

I only suggest you have been taken by tory rhetoric, Because you were talking about Keir and Labour through the lens of having to answer Boris Johnson's statements in PMQs and also stating the same rhetoric, that Labour are point scoring and the government should just work together, when it is mostly down to the tories that there isnt a bipartisan response to covid

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, st dan said:

That was localised to Victoria wasn’t it? So no different to the Tiered approaches in the NW. 

no it was a full lockdown ...9pm  curfew , shops closed , police on streets so entirely different and yes it was Victoria 

Edited by crazyfool1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...