When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

3 minutes ago, Quark said:

Just....don't. Suffice it to say that c**tery is alive and well.

It always amazes me that there are people in the world who believe some children should starve if their parents make bad decisions. I say this as the child of parents who made really bad decisions. I like to think I didn't deserve to be ill or die as a result. I like to think that help I received as a child helped me become a better person and that I have more than paid back any help received as an adult. 

1 minute ago, gigpusher said:

It always amazes me that there are people in the world who believe some children should starve if their parents make bad decisions. I say this as the child of parents who made really bad decisions. I like to think I didn't deserve to be ill or die as a result. I like to think that help I received as a child helped me become a better person and that I have more than paid back any help received as an adult. 

The other part of the mindset that gets me is the implication that rather than fix a fundamentally broken system, we should just say that only the rich should have children.

If we want to tackle obesity, closing pubs, restaurants and takeaways will have an order of magnitude greater effect than keeping gyms open.

Maybe combine the measures, only leisure activity open is the gym - add in some post brexit food rationing and we could really turn the nation's physical health around before the next pandemic.

Edited by blackred

5 minutes ago, Quark said:

The other part of the mindset that gets me is the implication that rather than fix a fundamentally broken system, we should just say that only the rich should have children.

Which assumes that all rich stay rick like there'll have been no middle class people at the start of this pandemic who might not be completely on their arse by the end of it. I listened to a really powerful Desert Island Discs by Sabrina Cohen-Hatton. She had a wonderful childhood for the first few year but her father died and her mother developed mental health issues and she ended up a homeless teen. At one stage in their lives that probably couldn't have been predicted. 

1 minute ago, gigpusher said:

Which assumes that all rich stay rick like there'll have been no middle class people at the start of this pandemic who might not be completely on their arse by the end of it. I listened to a really powerful Desert Island Discs by Sabrina Cohen-Hatton. She had a wonderful childhood for the first few year but her father died and her mother developed mental health issues and she ended up a homeless teen. At one stage in their lives that probably couldn't have been predicted. 

I'm waaaaay behind on DID, will give that one a listen

2 minutes ago, st dan said:

This is actually pathetic, we’re on the verge of becoming a nanny state at this rate.
If they don’t trust the pubs to adhere to the rules properly - then shut them. 

Short video showing police in pub ... does it show that they are enforcing pies ? Or looking for a suspect ? Now I’m don’t want to become part of a nanny state and it’s unfortunate that people won’t comply with some of the rules , facemasks and quaurunteen being 2 prime examples ... and the problem ? Might be relating to lack of enforcement ... do we just abandon those ideas then ? 

4 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

Isn’t this on Spaffer’s list? He’s mentioned it a few times since coming out of hospital?

It is, but it should have been done years ago. There’s a reason why Spain, France and Italy were all more riddled with the virus than we were but we had more deaths. We are just a very unhealthy population. 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/oct/20/failure-to-act-on-covid-circuit-breaker-will-cost-billions-labour

But the shadow chancellor, Anneliese Dodds, points to analysis, including by the International Monetary Fund, which suggests much of the economic hit from coronavirus comes from “voluntary distancing” – the changes in people’s behaviour when they believe the disease is rife.

The Labour push for a second nationwide intervention was further bolstered on Tuesday by a Bank of England policymaker who suggested Britain’s virus-stricken economy could benefit from tough controls to bring the disease under control.

Warning that there is no simple trade-off between health and the economy, Gertjan Vlieghe, a member of Threadneedle Street’s rate-setting monetary policy committee, said it was misleading to argue that Britain’s economy would function as normal if there were no government controls on business and social life.

Most of the economic damage has been caused by people voluntarily avoiding their usual activities because of the risk of catching coronavirus, he said, adding: “There is a region where measures to contain the virus actually help both public health and the economy.”

Highlighting a similar decline in consumer spending in Sweden and Denmark this year – despite fewer restrictions imposed by the Swedish government – he added: “Higher virus prevalence is associated with weaker economic performance. But tighter government restrictions do not appear to have a clear additional effect on the economy.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

Isn’t this on Spaffer’s list? He’s mentioned it a few times since coming out of hospital?

It was slightly contradictory though, on one hand lose weight and on the other here’s half price fast food for 3 days of the week. Goes to show they don’t have a clue. 

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

It was slightly contradictory though, on one hand lose weight and on the other here’s half price fast food for 3 days of the week. Goes to show they don’t have a clue. 

Don't fall for the idea that they're clueless. They're just very good at channelling money in the right directions.

The correct answer is "goes to show they don't give a shit"

15 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Short video showing police in pub ... does it show that they are enforcing pies ? Or looking for a suspect ? Now I’m don’t want to become part of a nanny state and it’s unfortunate that people won’t comply with some of the rules , facemasks and quaurunteen being 2 prime examples ... and the problem ? Might be relating to lack of enforcement ... do we just abandon those ideas then ? 

All the bars I've been to have made you follow the rules coz they're shitting it about losing their license. The licensing people were checking on the regular for rule breaking so I dunno why they're sending that many bobbies in (if they are indeed looking for people without a pie)

11 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

Oof, the come down off those anti-covid drugs Trump had looks harsh, he's sounding like most of you post-glastonbury!

Christ, he sounds more like me at about 3am on Saturday night AT Glastonbury

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, gigpusher said:

I think I like to think of it like this we are all in the same storm but not in the same boat and some have huge yachts, others barely a raft and most somewhere in between. Some are lucky with support network but not with money. Others doing fine financially but struggling with mental health. We're all experiencing it differently and just our personality type can effect how well we can handle it which is why I am trying my best to empathise with people in all their different situations. 

That’s pretty spot on.

Cap doffed 👌