When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 hour ago, priest17 said:

Christmas went to shit when they stopped doing Doctor Who Christmas specials anyway.

Perfect timing for Christmas 2020. Jodie Whittaker’s first Doctor Who festive special and the first since 2017

https://www.whatsontv.co.uk/news/doctor-who-christmas-special-guide-594905/

Edited by Copperface

2 minutes ago, Copperface said:

Perfect timing for Christmas 2020. Jodie Whittaker’s first Doctor Who festive special and the first since 2017

https://www.whatsontv.co.uk/news/doctor-who-christmas-special-guide-594905/

We'll all be locked down again by then so we can even play along!

Doctor Who Christmas Special 2020

I really hope it is indeed on Christmas day and not thrown in on New Years Day again like last year (well... this year...)

Anyhoo I'll let you all get back to your serious conversation now.

2 hours ago, Mr.Tease said:

It just sounds horrific in so many different ways, I feel awful for people in hospital, unable to see loved ones, scared and struggling to breathe and wondering if they're going to die (plus all the complications that can arise on top of that- amputations, lungs becoming catastrophically damaged, strokes, heart attacks, organ damage)- it's one of my worst fears dying that way (it's why I've been extra cautious- I really don't want anyone to go out like that either).  It must be a nightmare for their families at home and it must have been awful for you to see so many people suffer like that. I know there's a worry that NHS staff will end up with some sort of PTSD.

My mum's 77 and has some co-morbidities too, so the thought of her catching covid-19 (or me passing it on to her) fills me with fear.

I know it's hard for people going through all these restrictions, but it's important to remind ourselves why we're doing it.

My mum's 74 with COPD and I work in a big youth hostel with a busy bar. I'm not risking going anywhere near her anytime soon. Then again, she lives in Wales, so can't go anyway 

29 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

Thing is, people are going to have gatherings at Christmas. If they want people to stick with it they need to use the Carrot as well as the stick. They’d be smart to start early on prepping people for how to be sensible. Keep numbers down, be extra careful beforehand if seeing the vulnerable, keep your Distance, open the windows etc. Education, not ever more manic rule changes. 

However they’re not smart. So whatever they’re trying to do they’ll make a mess of.

Santa won't visit unless they follow the rules?

2 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2020/oct/19/students-from-northern-england-facing-toxic-attitude-at-durham-university

Maybe this gives a bit of an idea of what the Southern "elite" think of those up North, and perhaps how/why the government is behaving as they are towards us...

The fact that some of the student age types think some of the things described in that article means they got it from their parents. Not a big leap to assume this is what the government thinks of the North

Durham Uni has the worst reputation and it's fully deserved. A few years ago we banned all groups from there from ever staying with us again. We've had some of the supposed worse schools in the grimmest towns bring groups to stay, rugby tours and stag parties from hell. Durham Uni were the worst. Not just from the behaviour (the rugby tours and stag parties were their equals on that score) but the entitlement that came with it. Awful awful people. I've also got a mate who's from Durham and used to work at the uni in various service roles. I swear he's still recovering from it

16 minutes ago, Copperface said:

But apparently worse than its Nordic neighbours with whom it's best compared.

Italy, Spain etc always going to be hardest hit due to massive reliance on tourism.

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-sweden-gdp-falls-8pc-in-q2-worse-nordic-neighbors-2020-8?r=US&IR=T

Why? Sweden has a very different economic landscape to either Norway or Denmark. They all trade a lot with one another and share some multinationals but the economic fates are not really tied to one another in any meaningful way.

The difference in the initial shock reflects the different balances in the economies - Norway is less of an exporter than the others and Sweden has had slightly higher consumer spending as a % of gdp.

The different effects of the lockdown will be felt most in the recovery. The Swedish economy is forecast to recover more robustly than Denmark or Norway.

4 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

The different effects of the lockdown will be felt most in the recovery. The Swedish economy is forecast to recover more robustly than Denmark or Norway.

Yeah, and it's a forecast. Recovery will depend on how bad countries are hit by any 2nd wave...and we just don't know yet what state any european country will be in by next spring...probably all will be in a sorry state.

2 minutes ago, Homer said:

Abbott apparently putting the boot into Starmer ahead of Newsnight. Though am not sure what the revelation. Basically she;s saying he's clever, ambitious and has stopped banging on about Remain since we left the EU (shocker!).

https://twitter.com/Rachael_Swindon/status/1318268517154775040?s=20

Because nothing screams we are ready for Government like infighting. I swear sometimes the Labour Party would rather fight amongst themselves than actually govern.

3 minutes ago, Homer said:

Abbott apparently putting the boot into Starmer ahead of Newsnight. Though am not sure what the revelation. Basically she;s saying he's clever, ambitious and has stopped banging on about Remain since we left the EU (shocker!).

https://twitter.com/Rachael_Swindon/status/1318268517154775040?s=20

He stopped talking about remaining in the EU because we have left the EU. Rachael Swindon is an awful grifter at the level of Fararge

2 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Because nothing screams we are ready for Government like infighting. I swear sometimes the Labour Party would rather fight amongst themselves than actually govern.

Boring innit. The Tories are much more ruthless. They have so many factions but they're much better at getting their shizzle together and prioritising actually being in power. Also, what's her problem with him being called Keir?

1 minute ago, dotdash79 said:

He stopped talking about remaining in the EU because we have left the EU. Rachael Swindon is an awful grifter at the level of Fararge

Yeah, he's trying to take a Brexit stance that will make Labour more electable - what an idiot!