When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

3 minutes ago, Homer said:

Mary Trump says he was brought up that being ill was a sign of weakness, so this is why he doesn't want to engage with the virus. Also, surprise, he cares more about the economy.

u can be arsed then ? im watching it too .... its that or leeds ... !!!

5 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

Ireland just moved to level 5 nationwide. Strictest control measures. Couple of slight tweaks (allowed to meet one other household outdoors, no mixing indoors at all) but we’re back to a 5km radius from our house...non-essential retail closed, pubs/bars/restaurants take away only, work from home, income support restored to the levels in April...to last 6 weeks, but expected to allow December to be largely virus-free. Review in 4 weeks, hopefully won’t be extended!

Do you think England will follow suit..?

7 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

u can be arsed then ? im watching it too .... its that or leeds ... !!!

Yeah, I've been drawn in, despite having watched tons of Trump docs. The prog makers grabbed me with the comedy footage of his hardcore supporters saying it was all a hoax right at the beginning, damn them!

21 hours ago, Ozanne said:

You are also wrong. Sweden has hasn't had more COVID deaths and has actually had one of the worst economic hits too

This is not true.

The effect of covid on swedish gdp growth is forecast to be half as severe as the EU average and of the UK.

3 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

ive gone for fantasy trump league .... hes top of the table in covid deaths ..... dont know how those football ones work ... not sure id have the knowledge or the patience 

Jared Kushner's assist covid murder stats are through the roof.

4 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

ive gone for fantasy trump league .... hes top of the table in covid deaths ..... dont know how those football ones work ... not sure id have the knowledge or the patience 

I definitely don't have the patience- you get one free transfer per week, and its-4 points every one beyond that. Last season they did a wrap up email with my stats and I had impulsively sacrificed 52 points on transfers over the season..and lost my £20 each league by 45 points...

Edited by efcfanwirral

4 minutes ago, Euphoricape said:

Do you think England will follow suit..?

Hard to know, in general, we’ve gone early with restrictions and kept them tighter. Hasn’t stopped us having a similar case load per capita as the UK, but we do have about half the fatality rate if you count confirmed COVID deaths, or under a third if you compare excess deaths (and all the models predict this if you go hard and early)...they were asked to do this a couple of weeks ago, but only fractionally increased the restrictions to see if that would work...but it hasn’t had the desired impact. Economically, parts of our economy that contribute massively have done very well (pharmaceuticals, medical devices and IT services), so it’s masked the broader economic impacts and our overall economy has fared quite well considering (on the ground it’s a different story, people are struggling, but a milder economic hit than predicted has given the government a bit of wiggle room to look after people through another “lockdown”...so far this year, income tax is only down 2% and corporate tax is up 31%)...they released the budget last week with a contingency built in for another lockdown (and another for a no-deal Brexit), so it looks like they are going to use it and hope to have a Christmas season that’s more like how things were in the Summer (hopefully!). What Bojo and his buddies decide to go with is anyone’s guess! (They may have little option soon though if hospitals are over-run). People just have too many contacts at the moment to keep a lid on things, so unfortunately we’re back at the (almost) nuclear option. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

Hard to know, in general, we’ve gone early with restrictions and kept them tighter. Hasn’t stopped us having a similar case load per capita as the UK, but we do have about half the fatality rate if you count confirmed COVID deaths, or under a third if you compare excess deaths (and all the models predict this if you go hard and early)...they were asked to do this a couple of weeks ago, but only fractionally increased the restrictions to see if that would work...but it hasn’t had the desired impact. Economically, parts of our economy that contribute massively have done very well (pharmaceuticals, medical devices and IT services), so it’s masked the broader economic impacts and our overall economy has fared quite well considering (on the ground it’s a different story, people are struggling, but a milder economic hit than predicted has given the government a bit of wiggle room to look after people through another “lockdown”...so far this year, income tax is only down 2% and corporate tax is up 31%)...they released the budget last week with a contingency built in for another lockdown (and another for a no-deal Brexit), so it looks like they are going to use it and hope to have a Christmas season that’s more like how things were in the Summer (hopefully!). What Bojo and his buddies decide to go with is anyone’s guess! (They may have little option soon though if hospitals are over-run). People just have too many contacts at the moment to keep a lid on things, so unfortunately we’re back at the (almost) nuclear option. 

I'm out of upvotes, but thankyou for the detailed reply. I agree, in that I think they will have no option soon. They can't afford to repeat the human cost of this spring.

2 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

The rule of 6 coming back would be a relaxation - probably as far as they'll go with a bit of a blind eye turned if people have like 8. Perhaps with a "try to isolate for a bit before you go", "don't go if you're showing symptoms",  and perhaps an extra school holiday week at the start

Thing is, people are going to have gatherings at Christmas. If they want people to stick with it they need to use the Carrot as well as the stick. They’d be smart to start early on prepping people for how to be sensible. Keep numbers down, be extra careful beforehand if seeing the vulnerable, keep your Distance, open the windows etc. Education, not ever more manic rule changes. 

However they’re not smart. So whatever they’re trying to do they’ll make a mess of.

Just now, Homer said:

Make America great again? Make America 'GRATE' again more like it!

(I now fully expect Trump to lose the election after that brutal takedown.)

Really interesting show. Some of the events behind the scenes are unbelievable, everything has been about re-election even preventing actions during the pandemic as to not crash the economy. Which in itself then crashed the economy.

21 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

This is not true.

The effect of covid on swedish gdp growth is forecast to be half as severe as the EU average and of the UK.

But apparently worse than its Nordic neighbours with whom it's best compared.

Italy, Spain etc always going to be hardest hit due to massive reliance on tourism.

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-sweden-gdp-falls-8pc-in-q2-worse-nordic-neighbors-2020-8?r=US&IR=T