When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

39 minutes ago, foolee said:

In dodgy territory when we start taking anything that discredited "Prof" Karol Sikora says seriously. That's doubled down by being published in the Speccy. Hard right funded loon and very right leaning journal is not a good mix.

2 minutes ago, Copperface said:

In dodgy territory when we start taking anything that discredited "Prof" Karol Sikora says seriously. That's doubled down by being published in the Speccy. Hard right funded loon and very right leaning journal is not a good mix.

Especially when it’s been published at the same time as when the government is trying to push an anti lockdown message. 

1 minute ago, Copperface said:

but it is recognised that many people put off seeing a doctor or going into a hospital during first wave, and probably still do now, first because wanted to help protect NHS, and second because they might catch covid19.

8 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Especially when it’s been published at the same time as when the government is trying to push an anti lockdown message. 

Yup. The links between the Spectator and the current cabal at the heart of government is a bit worrying.

Johnson used to be editor, Carrie Symonds used to work there and dated Harry Coles, another writer there. The editor, Forsyth, is married to Allegra Stratton, the new No 10 Spokeswoman - their best man was Rishi Sunak. Charles Moore, the newly ennobled racist and homophobic old dinosaur is being put into place to be BBC chairman, is still a contributor, Dominic Cummings used to work there, Cummings' wife Mary Wakefield is the commissioning editor there and so on - little more than a hard right propaganda organ now.

https://www.tatler.com/article/spectator-magazine-social-web-links-to-tory-cabinet

Edited by Copperface
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Copperface said:

Yup. The links between the Spectator and the current cabal at the heart of government is a bit worrying.

Johnson used to be editor, Carrie Symonds used to work there and dated Harry Coles, another writer there. The editor, Forsyth, is married to Allegra Stratton, the new No 10 Spokeswoman - their best man was Rishi Sunak. Charles Moore, the newly ennobled racist and homophobic old dinosaur is being put into place to be BBC chairman, is still a contributor, Dominic Cummings used to work there, Cummings' wife Mary Wakefield is the commissioning editor there and so on - little more than a hard right propaganda organ now.

https://www.tatler.com/article/spectator-magazine-social-web-links-to-tory-cabinet

Factor in Andrew Neill who works for the Spectator and you can see how it’s all linked. 

26 minutes ago, Copperface said:

Perhaps but I know more people who have died of newly diagnosed cancer this year than covid. My own brother was given a cancer diagnosis on Thursday which they also think is terminal. We are awaiting on the results of a CT scan to confirm if he has any hope. 

18 minutes ago, Copperface said:

I only found out the other day that Arron Banks' wife is Russian and was suspected of being a spy. You coudn't make this shizzle up.

1 minute ago, squirrelarmy said:

So anything published by the spectator has been approved by the Tories. 

Even their few anti-Tory pieces must be a smokescreen for something else or an attempt to make it look impartial 

I'd just keep an eye on the difference between anti-Tory and anti-Johnson.

Said before that Johnson is outliving his usefulness.  When you've got Spectator, Telegraph and Mail articles getting critical it's not going to be a case of them shifting their allegiance; it's all about who they've got an eye on waiting in the wings.

4 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Perhaps but I know more people who have died of newly diagnosed cancer this year than covid. My own brother was given a cancer diagnosis on Thursday which they also think is terminal. We are awaiting on the results of a CT scan to confirm if he has any hope. 

Awful news. Sorry to hear that and I hope the scan shows that it's less advanced than feared.

5 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

So anything published by the spectator has been approved by the Tories. 

Even their few anti-Tory pieces must be a smokescreen for something else or an attempt to make it look impartial 

From what I can see, anything that is published or posted anywhere that slightly dissents against the chosen line of public opinion is ignored or dismissed without question. It is quite depressing how discussion is shut down immediately. 

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Copperface said:

44 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Personally think it's worth a read and makes some really good points. 

16 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Awful news. Sorry to hear that and I hope the scan shows that it's less advanced than feared.

Thanks. Me too as if it is imminently terminal I'll never get to see him again (He's in Ireland and I'm in soon to be a tier 3 area!) 

1 hour ago, foolee said:

It's not "deaths from COVID" vs "deaths from lockdown" though. There's an entire third category that is "deaths from not locking down". We've not had any of those because we have been doing the lockdown thing.

But it's a hugely incorrect assumption to make that the only deaths as a result of letting COVID-19 spread through the population would just be the deaths caused by COVID-19 itself.

Especially as the more endemic it was, the less likely people would go to a doctor or hospital anyway.

1 minute ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Isn't a situation like that an exception to the rules? Hopefully there are some people you can speak to about that.

No even my family who are local haven't been able to visit him in hospital since he got his diagnosis. They can drop stuff out to him but not go in.