When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

2 hours ago, ace56blaa said:

So who thinks the testing capacity will miraculously shoot up to 500,000 in the next couple of weeks?

It has been stagnant around 300,000 for a month how can they possibly legitimately increase it 200,000 in two weeks. (Also you could argue that the current capacity has already been overwhelmed)

They've always said that the 500k figure is capacity and includes antibody tests. If you count them they're on 465k tests ATM, so on track for 500k by end of the month.

They actually introduced more PCR tests this week, so they have capacity for about 345k of those, which is more then I thought they would. I assumed they'd bulk it out even more with antibody tests. 

The numbers processed have as well been steadily increasing. Passed 300k today, which is good as at the start of the mo the it was 250k.

Edited by Leyrulion
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, shoptildrop said:

The poor student who died in Manchester did take his own life due to anxiety of being locked up in campus, so sad :( 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8852099/Student-son-leading-academic-died-halls-suffering-severe-anxiety.html

It is very sad, though I tend to believe suicide is a life long story so it's not usually because of only one thing, though one thing can be a tipping point. The article is a bit contradictory though, with officials saying it wasn't covid-19 related, and the dad saying he believed it was (ascribing the severe anxiety to being under lockdown).

I agree with the dad though that mental health support has been very poor, and to be honest I think universities usually skimp when it comes to the money they spend on mental health, with often too few counselling sessions being offered to students and sometimes too long waiting times. There are often some great support staff there though, and it's definitely worth checking out if anyone reading is a student and struggling.

Other options are to see your GP (they may be able to offer medication or refer you on for talking therapies), see if there are any third sector organisations that support young people in your area (in Manchester there is a place called 42nd street). Sometimes there are local organisations that provide very low cost donation-based counselling/CBT appointments.

There are private counsellors if you're able to talk to your parents about it and they are able and willing to pay- sometimes they offer concessionary rates, and may have no waiting lists (these are the main listing websites, which also give info on the different types of therapy):

https://www.bacp.co.uk/search/Therapists

https://www.counselling-directory.org.uk

Then there are crisis telephone lines (the uni should usually give you these, they may have their own 24hr helplines) as well as:

https://www.samaritans.org

And some online support services like Kooth:

https://www.kooth.com

and then there re a few more options listed here:

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/suicide/

So there are different options, though I know it's really hard when someone is in crisis to seek help.

• Upvote 7

44 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

They've always said that the 500k figure is capacity and includes antibody tests. If you count them they're on 465k tests ATM, so on track for 500k by end of the month.

They actually introduced more PCR tests this week, so they have capacity for about 345k of those, which is more then I thought they would. I assumed they'd bulk it out even more with antibody tests. 

The numbers processed have as well been steadily increasing. Passed 300k today, which is good as at the start of the mo the it was 250k.

As dirty as I feel saying this, it's one thing they actually have a fairly decent record on. 

If only we could join all the disconnects in the system we might actually have something that works well.

1 minute ago, RobertProsineckisLighter said:

As dirty as I feel saying this, it's one thing they actually have a fairly decent record on. 

If only we could join all the disconnects in the system we might actually have something that works well.

is it a decent record though ? in terms of numbers of tests maybe .... but in terms of the rest I doubt it .... worth reading that twitter article above ..... they have quite a lot of dots to be joining up .... 

39 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

is it a decent record though ? in terms of numbers of tests maybe .... but in terms of the rest I doubt it .... worth reading that twitter article above ..... they have quite a lot of dots to be joining up .... 

I know there are but the amount we have increased out testing capacity is impressive. 

Just now, RobertProsineckisLighter said:

I know there are but the amount we have increased out testing capacity is impressive. 

yes ... but only if the turnaround gets to 24hrs .... it is lots of tests but we have had lots of announcements on testing that haven't made it .... ill concede once we get back on track ... 3 weeks after schools went back calamity I think they said things would improve ...fingers crossed 

A quote from the article ....

However, Graham Medley, a member of the government’s Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (Sage) and chair of its subcommittee on modelling, said that returning test results “ideally within 24 hours” was as critical as capacity in a successful test-and-trace system. He said if necessary, capacity should be curbed in favour of speed.

18 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

wasn't the whole point of all these tests to prevent a 2nd wave and the need for another lockdown?

The testing itself doesn't stop the spread - it's the bits that follow that does. 

Sadly that's the bit that doesn't seem to happen, and even when it does the stupidity of people is never far away.