When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

Just now, steviewevie said:

Well back in March they were briefing about herd immunity and shelding older people...and then the lot from Imperial college and other sage types told govt that could be hundreds of thousands dead with this strategy so they quickly went for full lockdown.

And then not long ago when working on strategies for this 2nd wave they had Carl Heneghan and Anders Tegnell advising them as well as other scientists...and still didn't go down the let it rip and shield the vulnerable route.

Nowhere has done it. Politics or not.

Sweden did a voluntary lockdown which we should have done imho 

9 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

But that’s still 50% of the vulnerable who are not protected, so restrictions would be needed unless we accept that some old people will die? 

Here’s a fact that might shock you....

All people die.

There are many illnesses that can affect people of all ages. No one can live forever. 

Some of these illnesses are preventable and unfortunately some aren’t. The best we can do is minimise the risk to others where we can and enjoy our lives as best as we are able to. Thinking about the negatives all the time is bad for your mental health. 

I try to live my life as much as I can. Right now I want to go out and party as much as possible but I know that increases the risk of others around me so I’m happy to take a step back while some form of control is put in place. 

I can’t wait for June to be back on the farm again and will be partying as hard as my body allows me to do with the greatest people in the world. 

Edited by squirrelarmy

39 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

This seems like such a simple fix to me - set a floor for the payouts so those on minimum wage get up to say 90% of their minimum wage (lets broadly say 10% on work expenses is reasonable). Everyone else gets the 67%. It's not a complete fix, everyone's situation is different, but it broadly fixes the major problem.

I sort of like the style of what he's doing but equally find it a bit stomach turning? It's like there's a train hurtling towards a bunch of people on the tracks, and Burnham is refusing to move them off the tracks until the government guarantee to provide them with income support. It's a big, ballsy move but part of me also doesn't feel it's right for him to gamble with people's lives to make that move. Even though I entirely support the outcome (more funding/job protection) he's trying to get to.

I think the problem is zero hours contracts- presumably they aren't covered in any of this? That is what huge amounts in the deprived areas of Manchester will be on, so it'll just lead to more homelessness, poverty and crime in an area that already has the second worst crime rate in the country.

And of course that'll be andy Burnham's fault too...

Which, in turn, means we will never be allowed to meet people again 

That would certainly prove the conspiracy theorists right (the idea that it's not really about protecting lives or from the virus).

But our government has no desire to control people at all - the whole reason the first lockdown didnt work was because they didn't want to commit to getting rid of the virus by actually enforcing anything (rules, actual quarantine for foreign travellers etc). 

If it goes on long enough, they'll just lift restrictions and let us get on with it. Only caveat being i do think gigs and large gatherings will be off the table for quite a long time 

Edited by efcfanwirral

Just now, Fuzzy Afro said:

Sweden worked out what would work best for them...doesn't mean it would work in a country like ours, with a different and much higher population density, with a much smaller welfare state, with a much lower trust between govt and it's people and visa versa. And Sweden still managed to have 10 times more deaths than it's neighbours.

3 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Well back in March they were briefing about herd immunity and shelding older people...and then the lot from Imperial college and other sage types told govt that could be hundreds of thousands dead with this strategy so they quickly went for full lockdown.

And then not long ago when working on strategies for this 2nd wave they had Carl Heneghan and Anders Tegnell advising them as well as other scientists...and still didn't go down the let it rip and shield the vulnerable route.

Nowhere has done it. Politics or not.

You are confusing two different things. The letter to the government from the literally hundred of top scientist was not suggesting herd immunity. 

2 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Here’s a fact that might shock you....

All people die.

There are many illnesses that can affect people of all ages. No one can live forever. 

Some of these illnesses are preventable and unfortunately some aren’t. The best we can do is minimise the risk to others where we can and enjoy our lives as best as we are able to. Thinking about the negatives all the time is bad for your mental health. 

I try to live my life as much as I can. Right now I want to go out and party as much as possible but I know that increases the risk of others around me so I’m happy to take a step back while some form of control is put in place. 

I can’t wait for June to he back on the farm again and will be partying as hard as my body allows me to do with the greatest people in the world. 

Well yeah all people die, but as a society we’ve decided not to accept ANY deaths from covid. That’s why these rules will never be relaxed while we have community transmission, even if the vaccine means that far fewer people die from it. 

Just now, Fuzzy Afro said:

Well yeah all people die, but as a society we’ve decided not to accept ANY deaths from covid. That’s why these rules will never be relaxed while we have community transmission, even if the vaccine means that far fewer people die from it. 

Stop talking in absolutes. Only a Sith deals in absolutes. 

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

I hope it’s ridiculous for sure....

Say you give a 50% effective vaccine to 50% of the population though, that’s only 25% of people protected 

Youre an idiot. thats not how it works with 50% effacy. 

Edited by zahidf

8 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

There's an article in Time magazine detailing why Sweden's response has been shit and shouldn't be a model to emulate.

https://time.com/5899432/sweden-coronovirus-disaster/

Edited by SheffJeff
Spelling mistake.

No, I’m just terrified of never seeing my dad again 

Are you actually worried about a government telling you that you can’t see your own dad ever again and you’d seriously contemplate it? 
It’s dangerous territory, no matter the situation. The majority are on board with the restrictions still (although the numbers are rapidly declining on this) but soon enough people will start to make their own decisions that best suit them and their own livelihoods. If you don’t want to see people then that’s fine, but that has to be your choice and not their demands. 

Edited by st dan

3 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

I’m worried that is will be forever because the vaccine won’t be 100% effective

Could you see your dad last week when you were in Tier 1? 

There was no vaccine then, and the disease was as prevalent as it's been since the easing of lockdown.

So next summer with even a 50% effective vaccine and the good weather driving things down you'll be able to see your dad.

Stop being silly. 

5 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

I can’t wait for June to he back on the farm again and will be partying as hard as my body allows me to do with the greatest people in the world. 

Was talking about this on our daily walk yesterday- I seem to be out of practice on both walking (short distances only at the moment generally because of time constraints) and with drinking if I have any more than 2 beers in a night I really feel it the next day. 

Whenever we are lucky enough to get festivals back I'll need some kind of training regime ahead of it. Hiking with a can in hand sounds about right.....

I'm only talking about one day festivals - if I attempt what I did just last year even for one day I'd be a mess, never mind trying a weekend of it! 

2 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Because <100% effective vaccine means we’d still have some community transmission 

You are ignoring the fact that in Tier 1 which is in place for roughly 50% of the country we can go to other households. Your point immediately falls apart. If we were never going to be allowed to go to other houses again, why can 50% of us do so currently?

2 minutes ago, st dan said:

Are you actually worried about a government telling you that you can’t see your own dad ever again and you’d seriously contemplate it? 
It’s dangerous territory, no matter the situation. The majority are on board with the restrictions still (although the numbers are rapidly declining on this) but soon enough people will start to make their own decisions that best suit them and their own livelihoods. If you don’t want to see people then that’s fine, but that has to be your choice and not their demands. 

I’m worried that the government will not stop controlling our lives as long as their is any community transmission

2 minutes ago, st dan said:

banning household mixing is unenforceable. People simply wont follow those rules at some point

2 minutes ago, mcshed said:

Could you see your dad last week when you were in Tier 1? 

There was no vaccine then, and the disease was as prevalent as it's been since the easing of lockdown.

So next summer with even a 50% effective vaccine and the good weather driving things down you'll be able to see your dad.

Stop being silly. 

No, he lives in the city centre of Glasgow