When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

3 hours ago, Lycra said:

Is it just me? Why do I get the impression that the timeline for vaccine approval and widespread vaccination is being quietly pushed back. Now a read a representative of WHO saying the young and fit may have to wait to 2022 for vaccination. 🤔

That's from the World Health Organisation though.  I know how ridiculous it sounds to have any faith in our Government in any way, but there are lots of signs that we're in a better position that most of the world in terms of vaccines.  

34 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

I don’t mind being in tier 2 though? I just moved to form a new household 

It's not about that, it's about what you did last summer, the lockdown men will catch you. Even years after the pandemic has subsided you'll be in tier 2 

• Upvote 1

I know there's  lot of talk of a circuit breaker, and whilst I'm not against the idea, we probably have to manage our expectations - when the whole country went into lockdown, it took quite a while for the cases to come down.  In Bolton, after shutting the pubs  it took several weeks for the numbers to start to fall, and almost as soon as the modest fall started, they reopened the pubs to bring them into line with the rest of Manchester and the numbers stopped falling.  

Education is the bigger driver at the moment, so we might see a slightly bigger effect than in Bolton, but I can't see two weeks doing any more than "flattening the curve", which essentially means maintaining what will by then be a really high level of infection, rather than significantly shrinking it.

I have no constructive suggestions, but it's worth bearing in mind that since we've left it so late, a short lockdown that's no harsher than what we had before isn't going to have a massive effect - even if it's still the best we've got.

In Northern Ireland, supposedly they have noticed a fall in cases in Co. Londonderry which was our worst affected area.

They were basically in our circuit breaker two weeks before the rest of the country (it starts tomorrow). It'll be interesting to see if their figures continue to drop over the coming weeks.

So as expected discussions with Manchester and Government is a shitstorm, basically they want us to agree to Tier 3 as that make better headlines that we were forced (as they know we will make noises about it) - sticking point is the support package as they will literally kill people via destitution if they push us into Tier 3 with current package.

Liverpool are arguing about the package too they haven't fully agreed Tier 3 unless this is improved, despite what press and Gov are saying.

Also, interesting no mention of what is happening in the North East, Yorkshire or Nottingham in Commons today which all have Tier 3 numbers.

Below is a feel for the bully boy tactics being displayed, this is not a discussion where both parties are equal this is do as I say and be bloody grateful - absolute plums!!

I expect we will go into Tier 3 at the weekend :( 

Edited by shoptildrop

21 minutes ago, shoptildrop said:

So as expected discussions with Manchester and Government is a shitstorm, basically they want us to agree to Tier 3 as that make better headlines that we were forced (as they know we will make noises about it) - sticking point is the support package as they will literally kill people via destitution if they push us into Tier 3 with current package.

Liverpool are arguing about the package too they haven't fully agreed Tier 3 unless this is improved, despite what press and Gov are saying.

Also, interesting no mention of what is happening in the North East, Yorkshire or Nottingham in Commons today which all have Tier 3 numbers.

Below is a feel for the bully boy tactics being displayed, this is not a discussion where both parties are equal this is do as I say and be bloody grateful - absolute plums!!

I expect we will go into Tier 3 at the weekend

I think the issue is, that without Burnhams support they don't believe the public will adhere to the rules, seeing his opposition as a reason not to follow them. And without the right financial support they won't get Burnhams support. And so it goes on. 

Just now, Chef said:

I think the issue is, that without Burnhams support they don't believe the public will adhere to the rules, seeing his opposition as a reason not to follow them. And without the right financial support they won't get Burnhams support. And so it goes on. 

Nah - I think if they just say the pubs and restaurants can stay open but they advise people not to go to them (like that weird first pre-lockdown week) demand will drop so much they'll be begging for tier 3 by the end of the week. Seems like the government hold all the cards here.

3 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Nah - I think if they just say the pubs and restaurants can stay open but they advise people not to go to them (like that weird first pre-lockdown week) demand will drop so much they'll be begging for tier 3 by the end of the week. Seems like the government hold all the cards here.

Would be interesting to see in a normal pre-pandemic time what percentage of hospitality visits are made by single household groups. Obviously you get the odd married couple out for dinner and drinks etc but I’d imagine by and large the vast majority of hospitality visits are used by people to meet up with family and friends outside of their households 

38 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Queen Out and about with no facemask ... don’t suppose they could make a diamond encrusted one fast enough that matches her outfits 

Someone commissioned an Israeli jeweller to make a bespoke facemask featuring 3600 diamonds for USD1.5M.   Worryingly we would have been better off buying one of these for each member of the royal family and paying the going rate for standard masks but we chose to buy the standard masks at over inflated prices from Bojos pals lining the pockets of the Tory elite.  

https://www.standard.co.uk/insider/style/most-expensive-face-mask-diamonds-designer-a4522931.html