When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 hour ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Close the bloody schools already 

443A0106-1A19-419C-8D49-6E2A4E764165.jpeg

If you close schools not only do you do untold damage to vulnerable children, damage the education of the entire population and inflict various other ills on the kids you also fuck everything else as suddenly half the population can't work as they've got to look after their children all the time. 

Schools should and will be the last thing to close.

12 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Yes but on the opposite side of that people meeting friends and family are at a far greater risk. You are less likely to catch it from just walking near someone than sitting and chatting to them. In someone's house you also have to factor all the things you both touch as well as the fact that you are talking directly to each other.

But again, plenty of us are seeing friends and family and social distancing. We're not taking photos of that obviously, it'd be a shit photo! 

There's also the fact that if these people work from home and aren't seeing anyone else, and so do their friends and family, they're not actually at any risk. Obviously that changes the second one of them breaks the "bubble" and goes in a shop or such though.

6 minutes ago, stuie said:

Yeah it’s seems popular here! I guess if you like immersive experiences like Boomtown, Shangri-la, Block 9 etc you’d get some enjoyment from SC. 

I guess we all think the arts we like and the venues we go to deserve the funding.  

I don’t think operas or musicals should get any funding (joke) 

SC is a big step up from Shangri-la and Block 9 at least in terms of immersive theatre. Can't speak to Boomtown, but the more recent SC offerings have been closer to a Punchdrunk style experience scaled up, than anything else.

Just now, Ozanne said:

I was speaking to a friend on Sunday who’s a teacher and they said one area that they didn’t think about that has slipped for the kids is behaviours. Have you seen much of that?

One unforeseen side effect from the first lockdown is when English isn’t a kids first language is that many of the younger age groups actually forgot the English they were learning before lockdown. 

I have a few friends who are teachers and the kids are struggling with it all. 

Kids definitely do need to be in school especially the younger ones. 

2 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I was speaking to a friend on Sunday who’s a teacher and they said one area that they didn’t think about that has slipped for the kids is behaviours. Have you seen much of that?

They’re certainly more defiant this year but we’re unsure if it’s because they hadn’t had the full time education for a while and hadn’t had a formal time to transition (e.g meeting new teachers) and there are many who clearly rule the roost at home so that’s probably a factor too. Match that in with having to try and keep the setting ‘Covid secure’ and it’s a bit of a logistical nightmare but I’m still standing by my point that they need to be there and should only close if absolutely needed (which I think was needed in March but not now) 

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

exactly?

No, but exact data isn’t his strong suit. 

2 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

They are not school age yet

Ouch yeah not good :( 

So you want schools to close for your nieces and nephews who aren’t even going to them yet? Okkkkk

F37495CC-51B4-4BB4-8379-111385714203.jpeg

48 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Weren’t you having a pop at me earlier for wanting restrictions? Now you are calling for schools to close. Make up your mind.

I’ll be really clear here, schools have to be very last thing we close and that’s even if we absolutely have to. Kids education is one of the most important things. I’d stay in lockdown all winter if it meant the kids could get a full education. 

What an evening. Keir Starmer press conference at 1700 then Apple iPhone conference at 1800. 😍

I’m surprised Tim cook hasn’t called it Icovid yet ? Actually that might be trump ....

4 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

UK have f***ed it haven’t we. Today’s figures are nasty.

Its Tuesday so there are some inflated figures in there and they probably add up the lower cases yesterday, we're currently also staying at a similar consistent level for the time being. I think we may see a smaller fall in the next few weeks after the impact of uni's going back dies down a bit 

15 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

But again, plenty of us are seeing friends and family and social distancing. We're not taking photos of that obviously, it'd be a shit photo! 

There's also the fact that if these people work from home and aren't seeing anyone else, and so do their friends and family, they're not actually at any risk. Obviously that changes the second one of them breaks the "bubble" and goes in a shop or such though.

I don't know one of them has just come back from holiday and is needing to do a COVID test. If it comes back positive there'll be 2 and a half other couples needing to do the same. I think the data suggests that since people have been able to do more things, too many people are not able to stick to the guidance. If you can hand on heart say you definitely don't ever break any rules when you meet fair enough but I would say more people do than don't. 

One of my friends and I have talked about it and we decided not to meet up because we both know we've had a shit year and if either of us starts crying or getting upset we know we'd struggle not to have a human reaction of giving the other a hug so we are sticking to online support and waiting until we can see each other properly.  

59 minutes ago, SheffJeff said:

Sorry mate, I'm a bit confused.  What did I suggest yesterday would be an exception?

Sorry was replying while doing other things. You say that grandparents looking after children is off the agenda. As you would expect. 

However yesterday it was suggested that this might be an exception to the household mixing rule (not on here but by a political commentator or MP I need to find the source)

Edited by RobertProsineckisLighter

We are absolutely fucked. 

As a teacher, I think that a two week circuit breaker at the end of this month would be beneficial and I also like the sound of extending the Christmas holidays for another week to do another circuit breaker. I do agree that kids are far better off in school, though, as there is no substitute for face to face learning, particularly with lower ability, SEND and EAL students. Online learning was a nice stop gap in the summer but it isn't suitable all the time. 

I have generally found behavior at my school to be far better this term. I have much preferred the school, overall.  

1 minute ago, Andre91 said:

We are absolutely fucked. 

As a teacher, I think that a two week circuit breaker at the end of this month would be beneficial and I also like the sound of extending the Christmas holidays for another week to do another circuit breaker. I do agree that kids are far better off in school, though, as there is no substitute for face to face learning, particularly with lower ability, SEND and EAL students. Online learning was a nice stop gap in the summer but it isn't suitable all the time. 

I have generally found behavior at my school to be far better this term. I have much preferred the school, overall.  

kids keener to learn because they have been away?   and realise school is better than being taught by untrained parents ... in most cases 

1 minute ago, Andre91 said:

I do agree that kids are far better off in school, though, as there is no substitute for face to face learning, particularly with lower ability, SEND and EAL students. Online learning was a nice stop gap in the summer but it isn't suitable all the time. 

I don't know about you but I feel safer than when we shut in March, I guess the huge uncertainty back then was a factor for me but now with more mitigations and procedures in place I feel a lot safer and better off in work 

31 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Johnson has ignored the science and blown our chance to stop a second wave

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/oct/13/johnson-ignored-science-second-wave-sage-advice

Cant argue with much, if any, of that. 

Scotland and Westminster are now forging clearly different routes. I'm in Edinburgh which has a weekly rate of 128 per 100k (at the lower end of Boris' level 2) yet we are currently under the harshest lockdown restrictions in the country (more severe than English level 3). 

It will be interesting to see how this now plays out over the winter and whether Sturgeons stricker tactics will have the desired effect.

Just now, Billy Corgan's Ego said:

Cant argue with much, if any, of that. 

Scotland and Westminster are now forging clearly different routes. I'm in Edinburgh which has a weekly rate of 128 per 100k (at the lower end of Boris' level 2) yet we are currently under the harshest lockdown restrictions in the country (more severe than English level 3). 

It will be interesting to see how this now plays out over the winter and whether Sturgeons stricker tactics will have the desired effect.

and if pressure from them leads to changes in policy here .... or have we locked in on lockdowns