When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

21 minutes ago, Punksnotdead said:

Jeez, you're making me feel like a right thicko! 😄

I'm a Stephen King man myself & am now feeling totally inadequate! 🙂

Don't be intimidated by books, for all of that stuff might be labelled "literary fiction" some of it can be very accessible, certainly Circe and Song if Achilles mentioned above are both brilliant and really easy fo get into. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Whilst of course a single case is one case too many, 13,972 cases today is way better than I would have expected for today this time last week.  It is within our power to get through this thing.

And we're still away from their estimation of 50,000 cases a day during October, granted that was without action so it must indicate some of the measures are having some form of benefit 

7 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Whilst of course a single case is one case too many, 13,972 cases today is way better than I would have expected for today this time last week.  It is within our power to get through this thing.

Optimism. I'm desperately clutching at it after today. Thanks

11 minutes ago, WestCountryGirl said:

Nonsense! You should only read what you enjoy 🙂 I've only read those books because the style and subject matter are right up my street. Nothing about in/adequacy about it.

I also enjoy Stephen King!

English Lit was the only O'level I failed. We did Dickens, Shakespeare & Chaucer for the exam. Loved Dickens but hated the other 2. Chaucer was the worst thing I've ever read! Always resented the fact that we didn't do anything from the century I was born in. Put me off the classics for life!

11 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

More optimism!

The rate at Manchester University is now just under 1500 per 100k. It was over 3,000 a week ago. Tier 2 seems right in Manchester. 

Cases in students look to be easing off. 

https://www.manchester.ac.uk/coronavirus/cases/

Although the Covid tracker app is now showing a steeper rise then before.

Good man

18 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

More optimism!

The rate at Manchester University is now just under 1500 per 100k. It was over 3,000 a week ago. Tier 2 seems right in Manchester. 

Cases in students look to be easing off. 

https://www.manchester.ac.uk/coronavirus/cases/

Although the Covid tracker app is now showing a steeper rise then before.

Steady on, we can't be having too much optimism on here! 

3 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

I wonder if the virus has basically burned through all the students, and as they've mostly been confined there's been minimal outside spread of it, so the stats might calm down a bit over the next week or so? Interesting.

That would be a good outcome. Hopefully it will also pass through all the halls long before those students return home for Christmas etc. 

2 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

I wonder if the virus has basically burned through all the students, and as they've mostly been confined there's been minimal outside spread of it, so the stats might calm down a bit over the next week or so? Interesting.

I’ve not been to uni ... but halls are basically blocks with around 8 students in them aren’t they ... I think it’s likely those first years will have some kind of immunity within about a month as it moves from student to student ... hopefully they don’t get major side effects and can safely come home at xmas 

5 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I’ve not been to uni ... but halls are basically blocks with around 8 students in them aren’t they ... I think it’s likely those first years will have some kind of immunity within about a month as it moves from student to student ... hopefully they don’t get major side effects and can safely come home at xmas 

love that our best case scenario is locking students be locked up until they have achieved freshers immunity. Damn Uni really shouldn't have happened this term should it. - also all the talk off giving students their accomidation money back and sending them home have died down, i hope someone is still fighting for that.

Edited by ace56blaa

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

I don’t think a level of herd immunity can be achieved within 2 months either. Those students would have been locked down so I would think there’s still a fair few that haven’t contracted the virus. 

yeah i was being a lil sarcastic haha, my thought was that every few weeks an accomidation could be put in lockdown again- Unless they are asking unis to not count cases like they are for schools

18 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Yeah, varys a lot but where I am it's often a flat of 6-10 people sharing a kitchen and/or bathrooms. Then often 5 or so flats on a floor. Grouped in buildings about 8 stories high. 3-4 buildings in a complex. 

43 minutes ago, RobertProsineckisLighter said:

South Yorkshire Tier 2 Confirmed. 

RIP My Fave Pub... No beer garden... Not much inside space... No groups will kill them. There was me and two friends in there Thursday had the place to ourselves for last 2 hours.

So that's the rule in Manchester since July and it hasn't really made much difference I don't think. If they ask are you from the same household everyone just says yes.

The business won't check further as they don't want to lose your trade, and if anyone asks they did their bit. It's your fault for lying and taking the risk.

I think the only difference is this new requirement is law, but I don't see how that's enforceable in any meaningful sense.

Are the police going to be spot checking a recent utility bill in pubs?

4 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I don’t think a level of herd immunity can be achieved within 2 months either. Those students would have been locked down so I would think there’s still a fair few that haven’t contracted the virus. 

One thing I've not been able to get my head around: How can they say school kids don't spread covid but students are spreading it like wildlife? Like 16-18 year olds in school are magically immune but as soon as they reach uni age they become super spreaders?

I understand that there may be some evidence that younger children don't seem to get it as often, but no-one can convince me that older kids, still in school, aren't getting it & spreading it!

9 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

So that's the rule in Manchester since July and it hasn't really made much difference I don't think. If they ask are you from the same household everyone just says yes.

The business won't check further as they don't want to lose your trade, and if anyone asks they did their bit. It's your fault for lying and taking the risk.

I think the only difference is this new requirement is law, but I don't see how that's enforceable in any meaningful sense.

Are the police going to be spot checking a recent utility bill in pubs?

That just highlights the pointlessness of it all. My fave pub though has been very hot on the rules throughout and has just about been sustainable, they won't be with this because if the three of us who had a few hours the other night are in in future we are taking up 3 tables and that then leaves them 5 tables... It's not cost effective to open. By doing things correctly they will lose out. The rules all favour the bigger places and chains. 

Speaking of counter productive, seems like childcare is an exception for household mixing. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Punksnotdead said:

One thing I've not been able to get my head around: How can they say school kids don't spread covid but students are spreading it like wildlife? Like 16-18 year olds in school are magically immune but as soon as they reach uni age they become super spreaders?

I understand that there may be some evidence that younger children don't seem to get it as often, but no-one can convince me that older kids, still in school, aren't getting it & spreading it!

I don't think they're saying older kids in school aren't spreading it? 

Presumably schools with 6th forms have much smaller class sizes and interact with fewer people so the spread is contained. 

It's easier to control an outbreak in a group of 100 year 12s at school then 10,000 first year uni students