When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 hour ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

I see pretty much no reason why a cinema would be a serious vector of infection. Of course I’ll be avoiding them for the foreseeable future, mainly because they’re overpriced and I can recreate the experience at home for a fraction of the price. 

What do you use to recreate the "arsehole just at the edge of my vision who keeps looking at their phone" effect

• Upvote 1

I was lucky in that I got furloughed for four months. So I took all the 'clever' (politics, etc) books on my shelf (about eight?) stuck them in a pile and read all of them eventually. I also watched shedloads of docs about Trump, racism, Nazis, etc. So I now have a really pretty good understanding of just how screwed we are as a species. Which is nice.

• Upvote 4

I went to a Vue cinema about 4 weeks ago to watch The Empire Strikes Back and there was 5 people in there (myself included). There must have been 6-7 meters between me and the next person. I kept my mask on for the entire film other than when I had a sip of my Tango Ice Blast. My tasty, tasty Tango Ice Blast.

36 minutes ago, Homer said:

That's funny, I did the same resolution last year - think I read about 20; 48 is v good going!

My resolution in Jan was to go to Fabric, Ministry, The Egg, XOYO and Lightbox this year. That one is not going so well!

I joined a reading challenge which forced me to widen my reading choices and if I read a heavy going book I deliberately pick an easier read for my next book. 

My other resolution was to be able to do my Pilates class without having to stop at any point. I haven't been to a class since March and won't be able to to one again until Mid-November and I've put on about 2 and a half stone so yes don't think I'll be achieving that one so we have to take the wins where we can :D  

Just now, Andre91 said:

I went to a Vue cinema about 4 weeks ago to watch The Empire Strikes Back and there was 5 people in there (myself included).

We've got a Vue in my town a short walk from my home, I like to go to early morning screenings that are just like this.  Perhaps 4-12 people watching a classic movie or a new release at 9am, you get all the benefit of the bigscreen and amazing sound without the groups of youngsters showing off to their friends who occasionally mar a performance.  For a big new release though it's still hard to beat being in a crowded cinema I think.

4 minutes ago, Homer said:

I was lucky in that I got furloughed for four months. So I took all the 'clever' (politics, etc) books on my shelf (about eight?) stuck them in a pile and read all of them eventually. I also watched shedloads of docs about Trump, racism, Nazis, etc. So I now have a really pretty good understanding of just how screwed we are as a species. Which is nice.

I've read a few of them as part of my reading this year. How To Be An Antiracist, How To Lose A Country: The 7 Steps from Democracy to Dictatorship, Why I'm No Longer Talking To White People About Race, The World As It Is: Inside The Obama White House and the more light hearted 52 Times Britain Was A Bellend. All very interesting. 

34 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

Oh, that sounds interesting. What’s the app called?

It's called YourHour - it's pretty simple but it does the job. You can tweak the settings to not time certain apps, whatever you like really. 

I must admit I've gotten a bit obsessed with the notification that pops up at 9:30pm and says by what % my usage has increased or decreased on the last day..

5 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

I've read a few of them as part of my reading this year. How To Be An Antiracist, How To Lose A Country: The 7 Steps from Democracy to Dictatorship, Why I'm No Longer Talking To White People About Race, The World As It Is: Inside The Obama White House and the more light hearted 52 Times Britain Was A Bellend. All very interesting. 

Ooh, this sounds right up my strasse, recommended?

How To Lose A Country: The 7 Steps from Democracy to Dictatorship

I watched the Murdoch doc series on iPlayer the other day, v good. It basically said that Fox has turned news into reality TV. Which I think was born out by Trump's little attention seeking venture last night.

20 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

I went to a Vue cinema about 4 weeks ago to watch The Empire Strikes Back and there was 5 people in there (myself included). There must have been 6-7 meters between me and the next person. I kept my mask on for the entire film other than when I had a sip of my Tango Ice Blast. My tasty, tasty Tango Ice Blast.

I am so hoping it was a full Darth Vader mask. please say it was

6 minutes ago, Homer said:

Ooh, this sounds right up my strasse, recommended?

How To Lose A Country: The 7 Steps from Democracy to Dictatorship

I watched the Murdoch doc series on iPlayer the other day, v good. It basically said that Fox has turned news into reality TV. Which I think was born out by Trump's little attention seeking venture last night.

I absolutely recommend it. I even made my husband read it and he's usually a strictly murder mystery kind of guy. He even said it was incredibly accessible for such a heavy topic. 

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

yeah, shit graph I think...ignore France and Spain..the main point is we're still no where near what Vallance was projecting a few weeks ago...

I mean it's impossible to tell how many confirmed cases there is atm until we know when this backlog has stopped

hopefully todays numbers are normal

41 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

wrong signal. You are not weak if you get badly ill from coronavirus. It's such macho bullshit.

I mean, coronavirus largely hospitalises the more vulnerable members of society whereas the younger, fitter and healthier among us usually get away with a mild illness.

If you were the president of a world leading country the absolute last thing you want is everyone thinking you’re weak and vulnerable. 

I get why they both tried to downplay their condition. 

Nottingham seeing 350 cases per 100,000 but not locked down. The situation has spiked massive from the lost data. So probably should have already been in lockdown

https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/nottingham-news/live-updates-nottingham-becomes-one-4576314?utm_source=whatsapp.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar&fbclid=IwAR2HN2gP-7XkFyEvuVaRC8bMcY4cmcr6dVMydHGq8KxZ07loPrLftQeG6UM