When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

3 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

So given that cases are higher than we were told (and apparently there was a delay in tracing, which is also awesome), do we think they are going to do anything this week? Or stick with current measures a bit longer? They don't really seem to be working.

maybe...but hospital/death rates not really going up yet? Maybe a lot is confined to students in Unis...or am I being optimistic.

8 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

holy moly

1_oct-4-graph.jpg

Was just coming on here to add that - Manchester now the highest in the country due to this figures farce, which I'm sure they will bash our Major about us mucky Northern's not following the rules :( 

Looks like the plan is this three tier traffic light restrictions...maybe Manchester would be put on amber, or even red...

Red alert - level 3

No social contact with anyone outside your household in any setting; hospitality and leisure businesses closed.

Amateur sports and hobbies banned.

Amber alert - level 2

No social contact in private homes or gardens outside your bubbles; avoid visiting care homes. Only make essential journeys.

Green alert - level 1

'Rule of six' for gatherings; wear face masks in shops and pubs and on transport.

A 10pm curfew on hospitality with limits of 15 people at weddings and 30 at funerals.

I don’t understand why there’s such a huge north/south divide. 

I can understand why the less dense parts of the country have fewer cases but surely London should be suffering the same if not worse than the other major cities. 

It’s almost as if there isn’t the same level of response to the virus in certain areas because the government are corrupt arseholes. 

1 minute ago, squirrelarmy said:

I can understand why the less dense parts of the country have fewer cases but surely London should be suffering the same if not worse than the other major cities. 

Maybe more immunity in London from first wave? There was a lot more of it down there than up north in early spring.

Can someone explain to me how a doctor a signed off and allowed trump to get in a car with Whitehouse staff and drive around? Surely everyone in that airtight car now has to self isolate?

He’s really building a case for me now that he doesn’t have it. This seems very much like a stunt and orchestrated like something out of North Korea. The problem is that huge swathes of America can’t spot propaganda so his actions are probably working.

7 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Looks like the plan is this three tier traffic light restrictions...maybe Manchester would be put on amber, or even red...

Red alert - level 3

No social contact with anyone outside your household in any setting; hospitality and leisure businesses closed.

Amateur sports and hobbies banned.

Amber alert - level 2

No social contact in private homes or gardens outside your bubbles; avoid visiting care homes. Only make essential journeys.

Green alert - level 1

'Rule of six' for gatherings; wear face masks in shops and pubs and on transport.

A 10pm curfew on hospitality with limits of 15 people at weddings and 30 at funerals.

Where have you seen this? I'm wondering if that would put London on Amber given my app has "Medium" risk for my postcode, in an orange colour.

Edited by Zoo Music Girl

11 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

maybe...but hospital/death rates not really going up yet? Maybe a lot is confined to students in Unis...or am I being optimistic.

North West hospital patients have gone from 676 to 816 in two days. 
Patients with COVID in Scottish hospitals have more than doubled in 2 weeks.
7 day average is now up to 43 deaths (doubled in 12 days).

48 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Can someone explain to me how a doctor a signed off and allowed trump to get in a car with Whitehouse staff and drive around? Surely everyone in that airtight car now has to self isolate?

He’s really building a case for me now that he doesn’t have it. This seems very much like a stunt and orchestrated like something out of North Korea. The problem is that huge swathes of America can’t spot propaganda so his actions are probably working.

Yep it’s certainly bizarre. Quite hilarious the same Americans that despise Russia, China etc are blindly supporting a leader who is actively following the cult of personality dictator playbook.

1 hour ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

My main worry has always been passing it on to the vulnerable, so I would definitely feel better than I do about getting it if those people were all vaccinated (or at least those who wanted to be). That said, I'd still really rather not get it for the long Covid reasons more than anything else. But I suppose you might be able to choose to pay for a vaccine privately if you wanted one? Like you do for some travel jabs that ate optional. I guess supplies would be limited to essentials to start with, though, and that seems fair enough.

What about medical workers though? Not included?

Long Covid sounds horrendous but seems to only affect a small proportion of people so there’s no way the NHS is vaccinating people just to stop them getting Long Covid. Especially given the vulnerable will need to be jabbed at least once a year. 

I’ll be paying for a vaccine as soon as I can, personally. 

1 hour ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

There are some illnesses that pretty much everyone is vaccinated against, so it's not mad a concept: measles, polio etc. But I suppose that would take some time.

Those vaccines give you lifelong immunity.

55 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

It’s almost as if there isn’t the same level of response to the virus in certain areas because the government are corrupt arseholes. 

I live in London and in my view, the driver is that Londoners never stopped working from home by and large. Because we aren’t travelling into our offices, we aren’t going for meals and drinks after work etc, so it implicitly leads to social distancing. Central London never stopped being a ghost town. Also there’s the increased immunity factor. 

Edited by Fuzzy Afro

6 minutes ago, jparx said:

Yep it’s certainly bizarre. Quite hilarious the same Americans that despise Russia, China etc are blindly supporting a leader who is actively following the cult of personality dictator playbook.

I think it’s great evidence that a lot of people lack very basic critical thinking skills.

Wonder if we'll end up with a rerun of March, where every other country pursues a strategy of vaccinating everyone, while we insist we're magic and cleverer then anyone else and just go with vaccinating Tory voters and their carers.

2 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

Wonder if we'll end up with a rerun of March, where every other country pursues a strategy of vaccinating everyone, while we insist we're magic and cleverer then anyone else and just go with vaccinating Tory voters and their carers.

I guess the thinking is that you have a limited number of vaccines and a limited window, catching the virus seems to give some immunity so if you let the children and young people who are least likely to suffer badly from it, you are in effect vaccinating them - just for free and naturally. 

By focusing a roll out on those more likely to get sick you are increasing their chances of surviving and not needing hospital. Your effectively giving them a head start of the virus because their body needs it's. Where as the youngun's body in the vast majority of cases doesn't need the head start.

So while the vaccine might be more effective in kids it's not offering the same benefits as doing the older and vuberable first. 

I'm sure @Toilet Duck will be along at somepoint to tell us all the science behind the headlines.

6 minutes ago, RobertProsineckisLighter said:

I guess the thinking is that you have a limited number of vaccines and a limited window, catching the virus seems to give some immunity so if you let the children and young people who are least likely to suffer badly from it, you are in effect vaccinating them - just for free and naturally. 

By focusing a roll out on those more likely to get sick you are increasing their chances of surviving and not needing hospital. Your effectively giving them a head start of the virus because their body needs it's. Where as the youngun's body in the vast majority of cases doesn't need the head start.

So while the vaccine might be more effective in kids it's not offering the same benefits as doing the older and vuberable first. 

I'm sure @Toilet Duck will be along at somepoint to tell us all the science behind the headlines.

I get the reasoning, but I think it's important to have an open discussion and scrutiny of any strategy (long covid is a serious issue and effects all ages). 

Are third sector org staff that work with vulnerable people going to be vaccinated? Or is it just NHS staff? What about people who live with vulnerable people? What if you develop cancer, do you get vaccinated then or are you screwed? How are holidays abroad for unvaccinated people going to work? Are under 50s really going to go out as much as before if they don't get vaccinated? Needs a discussion really, rather than someone deciding behind a close door and announcing it via the FT

3 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

Are third sector org staff that work with vulnerable people going to be vaccinated?

My ex is a fit and healthy 30 year old. She works in care though so always gets a flu vaccine to help protect those shes caring for. I think it will be the same here although she now works privately so I expect it will be her company paying for the vaccine rather than being given out automatically. 

1 hour ago, squirrelarmy said:

Over the summer there were loads of outbreaks associated with food processing plants, which are of course refrigerated.  It may well be that COVID really likes the cold.

Obviously that's not the only thing going on but it could well be a factor.