When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

6 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

As has been observed earlier in this thread everything most of is say on this thread (other than @Toilet Duck) is pure speculation. I have nothing but bytenuously founded opinions. 

Almost by definition, I think I'm right, but let's just say my confidence level in my own opinions isn't high. This shit is crazy complex and unpredictable and I'm no expert.

Yes, I get most of all of it is speculation, speculation is not really my thing.  A fact would be so handy, and probably worth a fortune come to think of it.

30 minutes ago, Madyaker said:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/02/coronavirus-took-hold-in-uk-earlier-than-thought-data-reveals

This is intetresting. Its about 4 to 6 weeks from infection to death so that means the virus was in the UK in January.

Is it consistent though?  It is not as if this thing is affecting everyone the same way.

5 hours ago, Andy0808 v5 said:

A genuine quote from one of the articles around the protests in Michigan.

‘Kelly Mullin brought her sons to teach them a lesson about liberty. Mullin said she believes the risk posed by coronavirus depends on your health and that people can take basic steps to protect themselves, including getting enough sleep, eating organic produce and getting outside.

“I mean, that’s where our tax dollars should be going. Eat broccoli,” she said.’

🧐

hilarious that to most americans ‘freedom’ means being able to go mcdonald’s during a pandemic and not like, being able to go to the doctor if you are sick without having to pay for it

i’m free if i own a gun and go to shops. even though i work 500 hours a week and will go bankrupt if i get cancer! pew pew!

• Upvote 1

The Times going for the jugular (this is the is the link so can read without the paywall) - it's pretty damning and can see Daily Fail already has stories posted to try and counter-balance with the traffic light exit plan and Bojo taking back control

https://archive.is/20200418182037/https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/coronavirus-38-days-when-britain-sleepwalked-into-disaster-hq3b9tlgh

Edited by shoptildrop

So...Bojo didn't bother turnining up for cobra meetings as he wanted to spend some quality time with his new cute girlfriend, but at same time govt need him back to sort out how we're going to exit the lockdown.

What a farce. Imagine the shit labour would be getting from the press if they were in office now.

13 hours ago, Lizzim said:

Do you think the likes of California can shut their borders and cede from the other states ?Or have I just being reading too much dystopian fiction?   My Mum compared Trump to Mussolini today and guess who came out better.  

Legally we can’t “leave the union” unless congress actually allowed it. Many legal rulings over the years and California’s own state constitution say its part of the “union”. Very difficult to close the borders anyway. I mean the only way it could split away is if the big earthquake that we are due to have does happen and a good chunk of the state moves west into the pacific ocean. But considering how the states are joining forces, its gonna be some hunger games level stuff soon enough. And yeah, being the 5th largest economy in the world does have some perks at least.

10 hours ago, Madyaker said:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/02/coronavirus-took-hold-in-uk-earlier-than-thought-data-reveals

This is intetresting. Its about 4 to 6 weeks from infection to death so that means the virus was in the UK in January.

I’ve insisted this must have been the case for a while. China had this as early as October, certainly well before 31st December when they first told the WHO about it (convenient day to bury bad news, huh) 

Bit more about the timeline here anyway: https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.axios.com/timeline-the-early-days-of-chinas-coronavirus-outbreak-and-cover-up-ee65211a-afb6-4641-97b8-353718a5faab.html

I find it difficult to imagine a scenario with the the U.K. being a major global transport hub, and Heathrow being the third busiest airport in the world, that not one single infected person arrived here from China in December or January.

Places like Windsor and Bicester village are year round tourist destinations for Chinese tourists, Bicester specifically around Xmas and the new year. Obviously London is a hub for business any time of year.

The his article explains there is no real reason Italy had it sooner, and maybe they just detected it sooner: https://www.wired.co.uk/article/coronavirus-italy

It talks about a higher than normal instance of pneumonia like cases in Italy in January, around 80 people a day die of pneumonia here every day in normal circumstances, I find it hard to imagine that a few extra nationally in January would’ve been picked up.

Just now, zahidf said:

Andrew marr defending the govt by saying 'hindsight is easy'.

Is he not right though? We’re all using it in massive doses on here, yet something like this hasn’t affected us like this for 100 years. Is it any great surprise that the Asian countries have handled this best, because they’re the ones who have had first heard experience of it in living memory? 

1 minute ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Is he not right though? We’re all using it in massive doses on here, yet something like this hasn’t affected us like this for 100 years. Is it any great surprise that the Asian countries have handled this best, because they’re the ones who have had first heard experience of it in living memory? 

Skipping cobra meetings to divorce your wife probably isnt the best response in the best of times...