When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

3 minutes ago, rawrsomesauce said:

I seem to recall similar in 2016, we all know what happened then. 

Some good analysis from FiveThirtyEight, including this line https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/trumps-chances-are-dwindling-that-could-make-him-dangerous/

And people forget how close the 2016 race was for stretches of the campaign; it was not such a huge upset. In fact, Hillary Clinton led by only 1.4 points in our national polling average heading into the first debate that year.

17 minutes ago, zahidf said:

They've crammed so many cliched spelling/grammar errors into this, it's like one of Limmy's 'support are troops' piss-takes of Brexit gammons.  (Edit - only just looked at Trumpton's feed and realised that is a parody account.  Not sure about Chuck T Bone Bacon though...)

Unfortunately, I do think it's inevitable that the Trump campaign will get a massive boost if he does end up seriously ill.  It happened with BoJo - at the time his life was in danger, a reverential concern gripped the nation, and the far right wasted no time jumping in to capitalise on it with lies and propaganda.  We're already seeing beginnings of a narrative emerging that the left are somehow responsible, and I'm sure this will turn into a Tin-foil hat extravaganza.

Edited by Mark E. Spliff

This is very encouraging news. I think we can now say with confidence that the rule of six is having a positive downwards effect on the R number. Well maybe not the rule of six itself, but more focused behaviour in the past 2-3 weeks has improved things. R is still above 1 and the epidemic is still growing, so we certainly aren’t out of the woods, but it has been suppressed to the point that it’s no longer growing at a dangerously fast level. That buys the government time to decide the next move to fully suppress R below 1.

I think they basically have the following options now: 

- Keep things at national level as they are and play whack-a-mole with local flare ups to stop them spreading. I think this is the most likely option given the latest set of “Number 10 sources” leaks to the BBC. Not sure it’ll work though.

- Slightly tighten the national restrictions by banning households from meeting indoors, but then keep the economy going as it is now. This would almost certainly squeeze R below 1, but would probably need to stay in place until there’s a vaccine.

- Go for the circuit breaker and suppress the infections to a much lower level in the short term, then allow them to build up again to the current level before doing another circuit breaker, and so on until the vaccine is ready 

4 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

Hang on I've just caught on....is this lunatic suggesting he was deliberately infected by someone coughing on his mic before the gig?

Certainly looks like it! There was also a particularly nasty tweet directed at Chrissy Teigen/John Legend that they should rethink their views on abortion after she suffered a miscarriage. Republican party is fully of absolute vermin

49% of Tory members want a Swedish style voluntary social distancing approach, 38% want a German style track and trace policy and only 13% back another state regulated lockdown

https://www.conservativehome.com/thetorydiary/2020/10/our-monthly-survey-finds-support-for-a-swedish-style-covid-policy-is-up-from-about-a-third-of-party-activists-to-almost-half.html

3 minutes ago, RobertProsineckisLighter said:

They were set up as dedicated Covid hospitals you would only be in there if you have Covid. 

But they were mainly empty whilst infectious patients that didn't need hospital care were discharged into the community, spreading the virus.  I'm not worried about covid spreading in the Nightingales, I'm worried about them being underutilised.

3 minutes ago, RobertProsineckisLighter said:

They were set up as dedicated Covid hospitals you would only be in there if you have Covid. 

Exeter have been using theirs wisely to fast track a lot of cancer patience with scanning etc.

Just an aside comment really, but wish others were used wisely as well

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

But they were mainly empty whilst infectious patients that didn't need hospital care were discharged into the community, spreading the virus.  I'm not worried about covid spreading in the Nightingales, I'm worried about them being underutilised.

I think your timelines a little wrong, didn't people get sent to carehomes before the nightengale hospitals were ready to take patients? 

Edited by RobertProsineckisLighter

27 minutes ago, fred quimby said:

Exeter have been using theirs wisely to fast track a lot of cancer patience with scanning etc.

Just an aside comment really, but wish others were used wisely as well

I know the Manchester one was set up for non covid procedures too unlike most of the other that are covid only

Not sure if Manchester one is being used now, but the biggest issue with these nightingale hospitals is they don't have enough skilled staff to keep them running. As is was staff from hospitals doing extra shifts in the nightingale ones

They have all these extra ventilators and ICU units but not enough skilled staff to utilise them... if only they used the last 6 months training in preparation??

6 minutes ago, shoptildrop said:

I know the Manchester one was set up for non covid procedures too unlike most of the other that are covid only

Not sure if Manchester one is being used now, but the biggest issue with these nightingale hospitals is they don't have enough skilled staff to keep them running. As is was staff from hospitals doing extra shifts in the nightingale ones

They have all these extra ventilators and ICU units but not enough skilled staff to utilise them... if only they used the last 6 months training in preparation??

This doesn’t get mentioned nearly enough in the press for me, it’s all well and good having the hospitals, the ventilators etc but if you don’t have anyone to treat the patients then they’re redundant!