When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

2 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

I think the only way to get compliance over winter is to let it get bad. Not right and not how it should be, but how it is

If we'd delayed now there'd have been compliance problems when we REALLY need restrictions. This is the equivalent of giving the population a summer holiday before strapping back in to another 6 months+ of restrictions. Sort of a reset ahead of the next phase.

To use another analogy this is just the intermission (for those who want it). And yes the idea that the intermission is halfway through a show is deliberate

That genie isn’t going back in the bottle. Even if they start closing things people aren’t going to separate themselves from friend and loved ones. They did that, they’ve had their Vaccinations. It isn’t happening.

Edited by MEGABOWL
Typo

Just now, MEGABOWL said:

That genie isn’t going back in the bottle. Even if they start closing things people aren’t going to separate hem selves from friend and loved ones. They did that, they’ve had their Vaccinations. It isn’t happening.

Then they just close more things for longer to compensate. Same result in lost livelihoods and all the other effects of lockdowns  

27 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Then they just close more things for longer to compensate. Same result in lost livelihoods and all the other effects of lockdowns  

The Government would have to feel very strongly about locking down a 70% vaccinated population. Enough to bring back Furlough and all the other Economic support, as well as open a massive can of worms. I’m not sure it’s there.

7 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

The Government would have to feel very strongly about locking down a 70% vaccinated population. Enough to bring back Furlough and all the other Economic support, as well as open a massive can of worms. I’m not sure it’s there.

If the NHS is overwhelmed again, then it will happen, I don't think it matters how many vaccinations.

3 weeks after nightclubs opened in NL … with an apology that govt got it wrong … we will get it without the apology and a shit load of blame on us edit although that isn’t a full one … just reimposing some stuff 

Edited by crazyfool1

Surprised to find myself agreeing with that entire article. Big change from their previous pushing for only fully vaccinated people to be allowed to do anything, though i think that would potentially be helpful in winter. I think that's an entirely reasonable set of requests

Edited by efcfanwirral

13 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

yeah, this...and I think there will be a lot of fucked off people, but also a lot of people willing to comply if helps.

Nobody will be happy, that's for sure.

BTW, the choice of whether to release restrictions now seems to have been set up as a choice between having a wave now or in winter - but that's not the situation we're in. A wave is taking place right now, with significant levels of infection and hospitalisations. Do we really need to turbo charge the current wave to build up enough immunity for winter? We probably want to go back to an old strategy and think about "flattening the curve", to allow a sustainable level of infection to get us ready for winter, rather than taking off all the brakes and hoping for the best.

I bloody hope the bet pays off and this wave starts declining in August. I suppose we have the example of India to give us hope in that area

2 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

BTW, the choice of whether to release restrictions now seems to have been set up as a choice between having a wave now or in winter - but that's not the situation we're in. A wave is taking place right now, with significant levels of infection and hospitalisations. Do we really need to turbo charge the current wave to build up enough immunity for winter? We probably want to go back to an old strategy and think about "flattening the curve", to allow a sustainable level of infection to get us ready for winter, rather than taking off all the brakes and hoping for the best.

I bloody hope the bet pays off and this wave starts declining in August. I suppose we have the example of India to give us hope in that area

India didn't relax all restrictions though, that's why it we might not be able to compare the two.

Just now, Ozanne said:

India didn't relax all restrictions though, that's why it we might not be able to compare the two.

That does make a direct comparison difficult, but I don't think they had severe restrictions that would account for the dropoff they saw. There was definitely significant infection in the country.

4 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Regrettably meaning that it coincides with the final few festivals this year and puts pressure on staff due to isolations.

2 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

That does make a direct comparison difficult, but I don't think they had severe restrictions that would account for the dropoff they saw. There was definitely significant infection in the country.

Yeah good point and they did have large crowds at the cricket too didn't they?

36 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

yeah, this...and I think there will be a lot of fucked off people, but also a lot of people willing to comply if helps.

I just couldn't see people complying in their droves this time, only people pissed off and anti-vaxxers gleefully rubbing their hands together

2 minutes ago, Chapple12345 said:

I just couldn't see people complying in their droves this time, only people pissed off and anti-vaxxers gleefully rubbing their hands together

They'd be as pissed off as everyone- they arent spending their whole lives wanting them to fail, they just want to get back to normality. They're the most anti restrictions from what I've seen 

1 hour ago, efcfanwirral said:

I think the only way to get compliance over winter is to let it get bad. Not right and not how it should be, but how it is

If we'd delayed now there'd have been compliance problems when we REALLY need restrictions. This is the equivalent of giving the population a summer holiday before strapping back in to another 6 months+ of restrictions. Sort of a reset ahead of the next phase.

To use another analogy this is just the intermission (for those who want it). And yes the idea that the intermission is halfway through a show is deliberate. I'm not talking just covid BTW, thats just part of the puzzle now with the NHS 

Yeah I think you're wrong about that. Once people are double jabbed they ain't going to listen to restrictions. (Especially for 6 months) who on earth is going to agree to not see friends /families in houses that long? 

I think the Tories will ride out the deaths/hospitalizations. 

3 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

The only way that would get buy in is if people felt an impending threat to themselves. Maybe along the lines of there not being emergency treatment for them or their loved ones...

The guy is nuts if he thinks people will be fine with an extra 1/2 years for a busy NHS

18 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

if hospitals are overwhelmed and possibly/hopefully  they wont be ... are you saying you wouldn't do anything ? 

I'm double jabbed as are most of my friends and family. I'll do stuff like wear a mask in busy places but I'm not going to avoid friends/family again. I've had enough of lockdowns and refuse to go along with them anymore.