When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

So, last time "freedom day" was postponed, it looked like the NW would follow Bolton in a sustained dropoff in cases and the rest of the country would follow the NW.  Then, when that didn't happen in a few weeks, it appeared that Manchester's growth rate was slowing.

Well the growth rate is slowing in some areas, growing in others - sustained exponential growth.  And this is the situation in which we're deciding to loosen all restrictions. It looked like a good idea a few weeks ago, it really did. But it looks like we might be on the verge of another self inflicted health crisis again. Goddamn it, I just want life to return to normal, I really do. But there is precisely fuck all normal about these rates of COVID-19.

Growth rate has slowed in NW considerably.  South is driving the growth now I think from latest graphs I seen.

Also, there is an age and gender that is driving growth and linked to the football which should pass soon. 

Lots of reasons to think phase 3 was much more of a driver than phase 4 will ever be also.

Don't be so pessimistic 😄

It’s attitudes like this which help to spread fear. “Why does govt think we all want to do stuff when massive transmission risk?” 

Pre covid nobody* has ever said “I’m not coming up the pub tonight, I might get the flu” in the winter or “We’d better sell those gig tickets, we might catch norovirus”  

For the vast majority of double vaccinated people the risk of serious disease is now very very small, and those waiting for their second dose the risk was small anyway.  We cannot avoid getting ill ever again it’s a preposterous notion.  

How have we forgotten so quickly how to live with the idea that we from time to time we might get sick? The vaccines work, nobody ever said they were sterilising, trust them.

*except for those immunocompromised etc 

18 minutes ago, Havors said:

Growth rate has slowed in NW considerably.  South is driving the growth now I think from latest graphs I seen.

Also, there is an age and gender that is driving growth and linked to the football which should pass soon. 

Lots of reasons to think phase 3 was much more of a driver than phase 4 will ever be also.

Don't be so pessimistic 😄

I'm with you on now but we've had literally one or two big events with most people watching together at home in the past few months, and things like Silverstone, Tramlines etc this week and next

What happens when there are dozens of football matches every week at nearly full capacity plus all those gathering to watch these many games each week in homes and pubs? Along with the surrounding pubs/transport around it? Football effect is going to get worse not better 

Personally I don't think it'll get that far, I think things will tighten up before then but do we honestly think things will have actually got better by that time if we're still "free" then? 

I say this as someone completely selfishly going to a festival next week, but I can and will stay away from people for a while after, most can't do that 

Edited by efcfanwirral

9 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

I'm with you on now but we've had literally one or two big events with most people watching together at home in the past few months, and things like Silverstone, Tramlines etc this week and next

What happens when there are dozens of football matches every week at nearly full capacity plus all those gathering to watch these many games each week in homes and pubs? Along with the surrounding pubs/transport around it? Football effect is going to get worse not better 

Personally I don't think it'll get that far, I think things will tighten up before then but do we honestly think things will have actually got better by that time if we're still "free" then? 

I say this as someone completely selfishly going to a festival next week, but I can and will stay away from people for a while after, most can't do that 

The euros and the scenes you seen are not your typical football occurrences. It was a national event and thousands of frustrated (a lot of them idiots) people letting lose after so long being locked up. 

I have a season ticket go to all the games and you just don't get that same nonsense on your typical week. 

The likes of tramlines and latitude are test events and have protocols in place that should see minimal transmission (hopefully). 

Yes the cases don't look good and could get a lot higher but I think it's really limited as to how high. 

‘Do as I say, not as I do’ time again. I know it’s the PM and the Chancellor, but they were sat in a room with Javid for a sustained about of time whilst he had the virus. They should be isolating now surely, regardless of position? At least for 4/5 days to allow time for the virus to show on the tests. 

2 minutes ago, st dan said:

‘Do as I say, not as I do’ time again. I know it’s the PM and the Chancellor, but they were sat in a room with Javid for a sustained about of time whilst he had the virus. They should be isolating now surely, regardless of position? At least for 4/5 days to allow time for the virus to show on the tests. 

One rule for them and another for us.

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

I wonder how many of the 500,000 people who were pinged this week by the app will take up the option instead now they've seen this? How do you even get on the trials? It takes the absolute piss 

1 minute ago, Barry Fish said:

Well I wont be isolating in a similar position put it that way.  They can get fucked.

I will take precautions like daily testing but there is no way now.

There is a difference in being pinged that you might have been in contact with somebody who has the virus in a crowded space, vs being actually sat in a room with somebody who has the virus for a number of hours. Surely it’s highly likely Johnson and Sunak picked it up given the circumstances, and they could now be going round actually spreading it.

9 minutes ago, Chapple12345 said:

I wonder how many of the 500,000 people who were pinged this week by the app will take up the option instead now they've seen this? How do you even get on the trials? It takes the absolute piss 

It’s a complete joke, they expect all of us to isolate and play by the rules but when it happens to them they invent new rules to get round it. They hold us all in utter contempt. 

9 minutes ago, Chapple12345 said:

I think being PM and Chancellor is probably a big help

7 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

It’s a complete joke, they expect all of us to isolate and play by the rules but when it happens to them they invent new rules to get round it. They hold us all in utter contempt. 

We've had a single case of Covid at my school I work at and that whole class is off now. That class is a  year 2 class that won't get a leavers day before they go to their middle school. Meanwhile these guys get free pass out of it. Our head is now going to write to the council to see if they can amend their policies to something similar to this so we can keep the school open even if its only for 4 days. Its just completely messed up 

10 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

I think being PM and Chancellor is probably a big help

*pretends to be shocked*

2 minutes ago, Chapple12345 said:

We've had a single case of Covid at my school I work at and that whole class is off now. That class is a  year 2 class that won't get a leavers day before they go to their middle school. Meanwhile these guys get free pass out of it. Our head is now going to write to the council to see if they can amend their policies to something similar to this so we can keep the school open even if its only for 4 days. Its just completely messed up 

This is what happens when the government continually get let off the hook for everything, they become so brazen and arrogant that they feel they can do whatever they like. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

This is what happens when the government continually get let off the hook for everything, they become so brazen and arrogant that they feel they can do whatever they like. 

I think this will probably be the final straw for many people and they might just ignore it, especially when those who are double jabbed avoid isolating in a little over 3 weeks 

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

And if half the government was isolating you’d be moaning that they’re trying to hide away at an important time. 

33 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Barnard castle Part 2, both in terms of shamelessness and the fact it will likely critically undermine compliance with the self-isolating thing.

• Upvote 1