When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

4 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

At least he’s not in a crucial role in the government that has anything to do with public health. 

To be honest, I can think of little that's better for public health than Javid covid. This sounds callous, but I hope he gets ill.  Maybe not as ill as Johnson, but enough to give him a scare, so he takes the virus seriously.

EDIT: I definitely don't want him to die, or get long covid or anything with long term consequences, but it'll probably be very good for the health of the nation if he feels really rough for a few days. 

Edited by stuartbert two hats

3 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

To be honest, I can think of little that's better for public health than Javid covid. This sounds callous, but I hope he gets ill.  Maybe not as ill as Johnson, but enough to give him a scare, so he takes the virus seriously.

EDIT: I definitely don't want him to die, or get long covid or anything with long term consequences, but it'll probably be very good for the health of the nation if he feels really rough for a few days. 

If he gets hospitalised or even worse long covid we're never going back to normal, as it'll blow the idea of the vaccines working enough out the water. 

32 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Could they announce a delay to the reopening either later today or tomorrow?

I think they've chosen the more politically damaging road of reversing in a couple of weeks. Unless they're really going to hold their nerve in the chaos that's coming 

They worry so much about perception and politics, but they still always make ridiculous decisions that should affect their popularity, but it never does. So we the public get the worst of all worlds 

It could all work out fine, but politically its a hell of a gamble 

Edited by efcfanwirral

20 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

If he only feels rough for a few days and makes a full recovery it’s full steam ahead, because that’s a bit like the flu which we’re meant to treating covid like. 

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Should Whitty and Vallance be speaking up and out right now if they don't agree...

And if they do agree should they be responsible for the shit show that will be September? They are the "experts"

Yes and yes. 

Whitty seems particularly nervous about this and has been steadily rolling back any sense of confidence there may have been just a couple of weeks ago. I dare say he’s much more forthright behind the scenes, and that’s unacceptable. I’d hazard a guess most people of note are shitting themselves  at what’s potentially about to happen, and already is, even before “freedom” day. 

As for responsibility, the buck stops with Johnson. Unless they’ve hidden things from him, he’s been in the driving seat. This is just the latest example of him trying to manage the optics and chase the votes. If it pays off, he remains in power and desire for power is what runs through the Tory’s veins. His premiership makes Gordon Brown look competent, but as long as the electorate are fickle, politically amnesic, and driven by character politics, he’ll be betting he can stay in office. 

4 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Yes and yes. 

Whitty seems particularly nervous about this and has been steadily rolling back any sense of confidence there may have been just a couple of weeks ago. I dare say he’s much more forthright behind the scenes, and that’s unacceptable. I’d hazard a guess most people of note are shitting themselves  at what’s potentially about to happen, and already is, even before “freedom” day. 

As for responsibility, the buck stops with Johnson. Unless they’ve hidden things from him, he’s been in the driving seat. This is just the latest example of him trying to manage the optics and chase the votes. If it pays off, he remains in power and desire for power is what runs through the Tory’s veins. His premiership makes Gordon Brown look competent, but as long as the electorate are fickle, politically amnesic, and driven by character politics, he’ll be betting he can stay in office. 

Whitty said there's no good time to open up, it's all shit, so may as well deal with the shit now.

3 minutes ago, SheffJeff said:

So do we think Boris will have been pinged? I can't beleive he's not been in close contact with Javid over the past couple of days so he should have been if they have both been using the app.

Well he'll definitely need to be given a close contact 

51 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Whitty said there's no good time to open up, it's all shit, so may as well deal with the shit now.

He went on to say that behavioural change needs to be slow and that even if it’s not, hospitalisations could get pretty scary and that restrictions could come back within two months. 

That’s not the sound of a man confident of his strategy. 

28 minutes ago, kalifire said:

He went on to say that behavioural change needs to be slow and that even if it’s not, hospitalisations could get pretty scary and that restrictions could come back within two months. 

That’s not the sound of a man confident of his strategy. 

No, indeed. Anyway, I agree with what others have said, in the end the buck stops with Johnson, it's a big gamble, but maybe he didn't have much choice with his MPs etc.

2 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

Are we sure that Javid has genuinely contracted the virus? You wouldn’t put it past this lot to come up with a scare story to show how ‘anyone can get it’.

Obviously if genuine, I hope he makes a full recovery.

we can never be sure...but I expect he has. Too risky for them to lie about this and get found out.