When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

Had a letter from my daughter's school today that said something along the lines of:

"The restrictions are changing, so we can't stop you doing stuff, but for fucks' sake, the local rates are the highest they have ever been, so don't be a knobhead, none of the kids are vaccinated"

Edited by stuartbert two hats
Added local

Just now, stuartbert two hats said:

Had a letter from my daughter's school today that said something along the lines of:

"The restrictions are changing, so we can't stop you doing stuff, but for fucks' sake, the rates are the highest they have ever been, so don't be a knobhead, none of the kids are vaccinated"

When it's put like that it pretty much should just be an extension. You can do it but you really shouldn't is no leadership at all from the country (I'm saying that as someone attending a festival next weekend) 

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

What on earth are you on about? In what way is “Wider social contact rules will apply in all these settings to prevent indoor mixing between different households.” not a form of lockdown?

Give your head a wobble. I fear you’ve been completely thrown off track here to think restrictions like that aren’t a significant form of hinderance on most people’s lives.

Lockdown means (or did mean) being forced to stay in one place. That is "don't leave your home". It has its root in prisoners being "locked down" being confined to cells. 

Having a lockdown where you have freedom to move around at will (without needing a specific reason) can't technically be a lockdown. 

If you think about this way, there's no way if we started with Stage 2 measures back in March 2020 when this kicked off, that anyone would have referred to those measures as a "lockdown". Language can change fast, and has but it's certainly not mad to think that way. At worst it's "well actually Hoover is the brand name you should call it a vacuum cleaner".

2 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Lockdown means (or did mean) being forced to stay in one place. That is "don't leave your home". It has its root in prisoners being "locked down" being confined to cells. 

Having a lockdown where you have freedom to move around at will (without needing a specific reason) can't technically be a lockdown. 

If you think about this way, there's no way if we started with Stage 2 measures back in March 2020 when this kicked off, that anyone would have referred to those measures as a "lockdown". Language can change fast, and has but it's certainly not mad to think that way. At worst it's "well actually Hoover is the brand name you should call it a vacuum cleaner".

I call it a lockdown if there are rules stopping me from seeing and doing what I want. It’s a lockdown if it’s a criminal offence for me to host my family round my place. 

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I call it a lockdown if there are rules stopping me from seeing and doing what I want. It’s a lockdown if it’s a criminal offence for me to host my family round my place. 

So then it becomes totally subjective. I would call it a blessing to not have to host my family round my place.

6 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:
Greater London 9,002,488
West Midlands 2,939,927
Greater Manchester 2,848,286
West Yorkshire 2,345,235
Kent 1,868,199
Hampshire 1,856,778
Essex 1,856,063
Lancashire 1,515,487
Merseyside 1,434,256
South Yorkshire 1,415,054
Devon 1,209,773
Surrey 1,199,870
Hertfordshire 1,195,672

Yorkshire second highest 

That’s not the NHS regions and the south east isn’t a county? 

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

The data you want to look at is hospital capacity, and in certain areas they are struggling.

Depending on what it is your trying to show you do. 

Showing the raw count of 121 and saying wow that's a lot tells half a story, if your trying to say oh my look at Covid admissions to hospital. 

If your trying to say and what about the hospital capacity you need look at things like capacity too - it's only earlier this year people from London hospitals were being transferred to Sheffield and Newcastle to get intensive care. 

The point is a single set of digits tells you very little. 

6 minutes ago, RobertProsineckisLighter said:

Depending on what it is your trying to show you do. 

Showing the raw count of 121 and saying wow that's a lot tells half a story, if your trying to say oh my look at Covid admissions to hospital. 

If your trying to say and what about the hospital capacity you need look at things like capacity too - it's only earlier this year people from London hospitals were being transferred to Sheffield and Newcastle to get intensive care. 

The point is a single set of digits tells you very little. 

Err...I just mean you need to look at hospital capacity...the hospitalisation numbers per region are just part of the story. So, hospitals in parts of North are struggling, I wouldn't be surprised if start seeing that nation wide in a few weeks.

1 hour ago, efcfanwirral said:

I feel for the South East, South West and East of England. Likely to be dragged backwards because of the rest of us....

As someone from Norfolk which has consistently had some of the lowest rates in the country I shall forgive you 😉 selfishly it does often feel that way in all honesty, especially as we have little to no covid patients in our hospitals and haven't had any deaths for a while too 

Edited by Chapple12345

21 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Yeah, interesting. This winter might be rough, but hopefully next year we'll be on top of things. Poorer parts of the world will likely continue to be screwed unless they start to get more vaccines.

Yeah it's a bit naive to think anything other than that. Unfortunately. We should be donating vaccines ASAP. 

6 hours ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Is there an actual cohort of people who are so vulnerable they they don’t even get to take the vaccine at all? For all the talk of immunosuppressed people, I thought it was just less likely to work (I saw a stat that they’re something like 74% effective as opposed to 90%+ in the general population)

We can’t go shutting society down to protect a small group of people especially when the jab is working relatively well for this group. 

No “you can’t go shutting society down to protect a small group of people when the jab is working relatively well for this group”.

Trouble is “relatively” isn’t good enough when there is a 26% chance that the vaccine won’t work for you (using your figures).  And the virus is as widespread as it currently is.  And you have family who have to enter the opened up society to, y’know, work and travel to work. And you have to live with that family because you are not sufficiently healthy to care for yourself.  And you need them to work because you cannot.  

And if you were to catch Covid, it wouldn’t be like a bad cold.  It would be like death.

It’s all great suggesting that the “small group of people” should be made more vulnerable because others want their freedom to get shit-faced in a place of their choosing, with whatever number of strangers, and without any level of restriction … but probably only if you don’t have a loved one in that position.

FYI, I’m not against people having fun.  I’m just asking that they do it safely and with proper regard for others.  

53 minutes ago, Chapple12345 said:

As someone from Norfolk which has consistently had some of the lowest rates in the country I shall forgive you 😉 selfishly it does often feel that way in all honesty, especially as we have little to no covid patients in our hospitals and haven't had any deaths for a while too 

Well I'm coming your way on Wednesday 😂😂