When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

isn't a lockdown actually a term that comes from prisons when everyone gets locked in their cells because of a riot or something....and now is just used for a level of restrictions in this pandemic. So, to some we are still locked down now, whereas others might think lockdown ended when we moved to step 2. None of the restrictions have come close to how it was back in March/April 2020 though, that was kind of hardcore. I remember my missus got told off by the coppers for driving to a park to walk the dog.

Just now, Ozanne said:

It's alright, I'll say that I don't want another lockdown for many different reasons but there are elements of the pandemic life that I wouldn't mind staying such as app ordering in pubs for example. I don't want us to go back to step 2 but if it's needed then I would understand that and follow those rules accordingly. 

Come on, you corrected someone's inaccurate use of a specific term, which makes you a grammar NERD and we know all the NERDS want us locked up forever so that's all we need to judge you 😄

The Best Candy Is: Nerds, the Gravel at the Bottom of Your Fish Tank | Bon  Appétit

19 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

This is something that people don’t like Ozanne. Lockdown lovers trying to say things aren’t a lockdown when they are almost definitely a lockdown. Any restrictions resembling anything like stage 2 is a lockdown. 

This is something that people don't like Matt43. Lockdown haters trying to say things are a lockdown when they almost definitely aren't a lockdown. Any restrictions resembling anything like stage 2 isn't a lockdown.

Do you see how ridiculous and patronising that sounds? Especially when you're wrong.

Being able to go to the pub, with no stay at home order isn't "lockdown", that's not what the term means.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

They're the types who get taken by surprise by restrictions. They're probably happier in general though but it's two big extremes

Boris sounding very reluctant to implement this. Sound familiar? 

I'm sure we'll find that this beta variant doesn't actually evade the vaccines, but the fact its a) been talked about and b) the scientists think it might mean that if this gets let into the country we'll overreact again. And he's going to let it into the country because he doesn't want to piss off a country we've already pissed off consistently for years

I think beta less infectious than delta, right? But weren't they concerned that AZ was less effective against beta (SA)? Maybe that's the worry.

Just now, Barry Fish said:

Adding France to the red list won't stop a variant coming here.  You still will have thousands of truck drivers flying backwards and forwards etc all over the country.

It's fruitless.

True but might slow it down with the hols coming up? I doubt its a problem in reality but it could be a perceived problem that gives ammunition to certain people. 

Just now, steviewevie said:

I think beta less infectious than delta, right? But weren't they concerned that AZ was less effective against beta (SA)? Maybe that's the worry.

Yeah that's it - that's the one the biggest worries over vaccines were from. I imagine as with all of them the data shakes out to a similar level to the others over time, but if we get it in the country people will panic initially 

1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Do you see how ridiculous and patronising that sounds? Especially when you're wrong.

Being able to go to the pub, with no stay at home order isn't "lockdown", that's not what the term means.

To be fair the word has sort of changed to encompass all sorts of measures, even the government website uses the phrase "lockdown measure" to describe the stages of the roadmap. So I don't think it's flat out wrong to use it that way. But it's also not wrong to think "lockdown = stay at home order". 

Given the different interpretations, it's absolutely fair for someone to go "just so you know, when the headline says 'lockdown' it means 'stage 2'" - that's just being a helpful contributor to the thread. Why anyone feels the need to attack someone for pointing that out I've no idea.

6 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Picky on who you ask not to do certain things - like make assumptions / insult / use personal experience as what the wider world feels...

You don't mind it from then ones who you generally agree with.  But we have been over this time and time again.

And you with me every post Barry please put me on ignore 

7 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

True but might slow it down with the hols coming up? I doubt its a problem in reality but it could be a perceived problem that gives ammunition to certain people. 

Germany or their Robert Koch Institute to be exact has classified France in the same category like Croatia which is on the green Watchlist in the UK, really weird, think there is the Beta variant causing concerns in Reunion and other oversea destinations, but not very much in mainland France itself.

14 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

This is something that people don't like Matt43. Lockdown haters trying to say things are a lockdown when they almost definitely aren't a lockdown. Any restrictions resembling anything like stage 2 isn't a lockdown.

What on earth are you on about? In what way is “Wider social contact rules will apply in all these settings to prevent indoor mixing between different households.” not a form of lockdown?

Give your head a wobble. I fear you’ve been completely thrown off track here to think restrictions like that aren’t a significant form of hinderance on most people’s lives.

7 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

What on earth are you on about? In what way is “Wider social contact rules will apply in all these settings to prevent indoor mixing between different households.” not a form of lockdown?

Give your head a wobble. I fear you’ve been completely thrown off track here to think restrictions like that aren’t a significant form of hinderance on most people’s lives.

I said nothing about whether they were significant. I was pointing out how patronising it was to attack someone over clarifying a term by repeating your own words back at you.

Please making inferences and then replying as if the thing you've imagined has actually been said.

1 hour ago, Barry Fish said:

Weatherspoons had app ordering before Covid.  I doubt app ordering will be going anywhere now.

it has its advantages. I do like it in certain situations especially when it's busy, keeps the bar queues down a bit when they have staff dedicated to it. Our local pub will definitely benefit (by keeping it) as the bar is quite small and seems more set up for indoors/how it was before but they've now opened this massive garden for covid times. Hope they keep it as the new bit is a proper sun trap... 

Edited by efcfanwirral