When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

So is it going to keep spreading until everyone's had it, so there's no point in any restrictions? Because I was laughed out the room a month ago when I suggested that.

Or is it going to spread, reach a plateau, then see cases fall as between vaccine and natural immunity there's a level of herd immunity out there which means there's nowhere for it to really go (notwithstanding there will still be the odd pocket of outbreaks from time to time).

Because people seem to be suggesting it's the latter, then saying we can't protect the vulnerable like that caller forever. But if it's the latter, we don't need to protect them forever. We just need to protect them during this final wave right?

Edited by DeanoL

5 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

So is it going to keep spreading until everyone's had it, so there's no point in any restrictions? Because I was laughed out the room a month ago when I suggested that.

Or is it going to spread, reach a plateau, then see cases fall as between vaccine and natural immunity there's a level of herd immunity out there which means there's nowhere for it to really go (notwithstanding there will still be the odd pocket of outbreaks from time to time).

Because people seem to be suggesting it's the latter, then saying we can't protect the vulnerable like that caller forever. But if it's the latter, we don't need to protect them forever. We just need to protect them during this final wave right?

No no no if they are as vulnerable as they claim they are we need to implement measures for them to be kept at home indefinitely. The real world is clearly far too dangerous to them, and I think measures should be put in place to keep them away from pubs, social activities, flights, gigs etc.

Edited by Matt42
  • Downvote 2

Just been for my haircut - my barber said him and all his staff will be stopping wearing masks from Monday. Said they are fed up of wearing them all day, especially in the heat. Hard to disagree with him on one hand, but on the other I was thinking let’s hope none of them get covid, as how many customers could they pass this on to in just a couple of days. 

9 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

I think both outcomes are possible although I find it highly unlikely someone can avoid it forever.  Its just so easily spread.

Either way - I think it stands to reason (and its what I would be doing) that if you are so highly vulnerable that you can't have the vaccine then the safest choice right now is for them to stay at home either in the short term or more likely for the long term.  So obviously you can't stay in your house forever - but certain sections of society need to operate some self preservation and make decisions on if they want to go to a crowded pub - rather than expect that pub to be socially distanced.

But vaccines are what, 99% effective? On a good day? So you're double jabbed, your chances of getting seriously ill from it drop by a factor of 100 right?

But surely it stands to reason that if there's 48000 cases in the UK today, your chance of getting it will be 100x less when there's only 480 cases? So it's equivalent to having a vaccine, basically?

I'm not sure on this at all, just trying to think it through so feel free to correct. It just feels like if I'm vulnerable, and one day there are 100 more cases countrywide than another day, I'm 100 times more at risk surely? And cutting people's risk by a factor of 100 is kinda what the vaccines do?

So it's legit to protect vulnerable people a bit more while we go through this peak. Though I'd agree that masks aren't nearly enough to do that - we need prioritised home delivery from supermarkets, exemptions from office working, etc.

3 minutes ago, st dan said:

Just been for my haircut - my barber said him and all his staff will be stopping wearing masks from Monday. Said they are fed up of wearing them all day, especially in the heat. Hard to disagree with him on one hand, but on the other I was thinking let’s hope none of them get covid, as how many customers could they pass this on to in just a couple of days. 

Every time I've been to the barbers they've spent 30 minutes in close contact with me masked up, all in my face because of the nature of the job. There's no way around it – they'd absolutely pass it on to me regardless of what they were wearing.

The dominating media narrative over the past couple of months has galvanized into "wearing a mask = safe = not passing it on" when there's so many more variables than that.

2 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

BBC notification said it's the highest number since January. The 15th to be precise, when there were 55,000 cases but 1,280 deaths just a few days before we hit the peak of deaths in the second wave

(not saying there'll be any correlation btw)

2 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Fake sage says  LOCKDOWN 

Trying not to engage with any of the Pagel stuff but we won't be back to May levels til god knows when. I'm on the side of thinking restrictions will be brought back in the September review but you've got to take the chance to unlock, especially now it's politically impossible to turn back

11 minutes ago, andyrhodes24 said:

BBC notification said it's the highest number since January. The 15th to be precise, when there were 55,000 cases but 1,280 deaths just a few days before we hit the peak of deaths in the second wave

(not saying there'll be any correlation btw)

It doesn’t look like it’s slowing down anytime soon, we’ll probably hit the record number of daily cases in the next few days so it is important to realise the job the vaccines are doing but also important to realise that if cases are at a very high level that means hospitalisations will increase as well.

For the first time through this entire thing I'm considering completely detoxing for a couple of weeks post-19th. The media and socials are going to be a fucking mess and I'm genuinely not sure if I can handle the constant nail-biting, flip flopping, hour-by-hour shitshow any more.

I often wonder what it's like to be someone that isn't plugged into news and endless micro-updates and tweets in the same way a lot of people like most of us are.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Billy Corgan's Ego said:

'Freedom day' should be a day for celebration but the next few weeks are going to be absolute chaos, arent they!! 

it was kind of stupid making one particular freedom day where it all suddenly ends...never really going to be like that. Just things improve over time.

1 hour ago, Havors said:

Makes me sick that shit. Even if you dont agree and you think she is being overly cautious where the fuck do people get off mocking her? If she wants to do whatever she wants to do then leave her to it. 

Arseholes. Just like the ones on the opposite side of the debate. 

As for special dispensation for clinically vulnerable I think it would be a brilliant idea and should be encouraged. 

Yeah well said that mate, bullshit people taking the piss out of that.

12 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

It doesn’t look like it’s slowing down anytime soon, we’ll probably hit the record number of daily cases in the next few days so it is important to realise the job the vaccines are doing but also important to realise that if cases are at a very high level that means hospitalisations will increase as well.

Yeah there's no doubt hospitalisation will increase, just imagine where we'd be right now without the vaccine. Hoping thing slow down or peak soon but who knows when it'll happen right now

Just now, andyrhodes24 said:

Yeah there's no doubt hospitalisation will increase, just imagine where we'd be right now without the vaccine. Hoping thing slow down or peak soon but who knows when it'll happen right now

I was saying that the other day to people, it would be so bad without the vaccines. The Scientists and people involved deserves so much praise for creating them, they have saved so many lives.

1 minute ago, Chapple12345 said:

Which one was stage 2 again? Is that everything shut but rule of six outside or shops open and hospitality outside? It's all blurred into one for me 😂

Yeah, hospitality open outside, rule of 6 outside.