When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

3 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

There’s a mix … what’s so hard to see ? Some will some won’t … 

I don’t think either of us are disagreeing with that. What I disagreed with is that an event not sold out is proof that there’s vast swathes of hesitant people rather than a lack of interest in an event that doesn’t look very good. 

1 minute ago, stuie said:

Of all my friends that go to festivals, I don’t know any that are apprehensive about returning. They are all chomping at the bit. I know that’s a small sample size but I don’t get any sense of people being scared, apart from on this forum.

Any of them vulnerable ? Or have vulnerable dependants ? Maybe those categories don’t tend to do festivals anyway ? Next time you talk to someone in one of those categories ask them if they would be happy to to go to a nightclub at the moment … Of course there’s a shit load of pent up demand people have been cooped up for ages and that will obviously manifest itself in packed events as we start opening … it needs to be maintained with others being happy to integrate too 

2 minutes ago, BobWillis2 said:

I don’t think either of us are disagreeing with that. What I disagreed with is that an event not sold out is proof that there’s vast swathes of hesitant people rather than a lack of interest in an event that doesn’t look very good. 

Could be ether or I guess 

9 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Any of them vulnerable ? Or have vulnerable dependants ? Maybe those categories don’t tend to do festivals anyway ? Next time you talk to someone in one of those categories ask them if they would be happy to to go to a nightclub at the moment … Of course there’s a shit load of pent up demand people have been cooped up for ages and that will obviously manifest itself in packed events as we start opening … it needs to be maintained with others being happy to integrate too 

Yes, two would be classed as vulnerable - but vaccinated! 

It’s very possible that a full on reopening like we are going to have will do the opposite and turn more people away due to lack of restrictions/high prevalence of the virus. Especially when you combine it with government support ending, it could end up being worse for businesses.  

30 minutes ago, kalifire said:

It seems obvious that restrictions like social distancing being removed completely before maximum, or even a very high level of vaccination has occurred, will increase the risk of virus mutations. I don't think anyone can reasonably disagree with that.

^^Well as an immunologist I'd say you have got this completely wrong - it's vaccination and social distancing that drives selection of new variants. The virus mutates at the same rate no matter what, but being unable to spread between people easily and being neutralised by antibodies generated by vaccination creates the selection pressure for rare 'fitter' mutations to expand.

That's evolution and you cannot stop it...

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Plateletboy said:

^^Well as an immunologist I'd say you have got this completely wrong - it's vaccination and social distancing that drives selection of new variants. The virus mutates at the same rate no matter what, but being unable to spread between people easily and being neutralised by antibodies generated by vaccination creates the selection pressure for rare 'fitter' mutations to expand.

Interesting. So what would be your suggestion for how this should play out? 

11 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

It’s very possible that a full on reopening like we are going to have will do the opposite and turn more people away due to lack of restrictions/high prevalence of the virus. Especially when you combine it with government support ending, it could end up being worse for businesses.  

oh and the app pinging away like mad because of high virus prevelance isnt great either .... the whole thing is a complete mess 

These last few pages have been really interesting reading thanks everyone. 

What I don't understand is why so many see it as 0 or 1. 

I had my second jab on Wednesday and for the next few weeks I'm going to be sensible, yes the pubs are open and I can do as I wish but you know what I can live without being in a busy pub if I want - I'll just got Thursday evening instead of Saturday or whatever. 

After three weeks when I'm fully charged I will I'm sure be less wary, in fact the Friday after being fully charged I'm doing a pub crawl along the Hope Valley line. 

I'm not being wary for the next few weeks because I'm scared of the virus but because I don't want to make myself feel shitter than I need to. Aknowledge at somepoint I'm going to catch this virus and I'm going to feel shitty, so let's do a few simple things to increase the chance of the shittyness being kept to a minimum - like you do with hangovers! 

28 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I’m considered to be clinically vulnerable as I’m on immunosuppressant medication for Crohn’s disease. I can’t wait to get back to clubbing and festivals and I have two booked for next week. I’m double jabbed so (broadly) as safe as I’ll ever be.

22 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

People on here constantly thinking that everyone must think the same as them and their friends.

No one said that did they. 

23 minutes ago, stuie said:

Yes, two would be classed as vulnerable - but vaccinated! 

ok so ill give myself and an efest friend as an example ... maybe we are unique but I doubt it ..... And I know the vaccines do an incredible job so no disputing that .... Me 45  ... isolating during the first pandemic as im sure people already know ... ive not regained full confidence to return to everything I was doing pre pandemic  , Im slowly easing back to things but im not spending like I used to ... packed clubs are a step to far at the moment . My friend on here extremely vulnerable imunocompomised daughter hasnt been back to any gigs or watched any football because he tries to lower risk for his daughter . 

8 minutes ago, sjseabass said:

I’m considered to be clinically vulnerable as I’m on immunosuppressant medication for Crohn’s disease. I can’t wait to get back to clubbing and festivals and I have two booked for next week. I’m double jabbed so (broadly) as safe as I’ll ever be.

fantastic im glad you've made that decision ... not everyone has quite yet is my point 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Interesting. So what would be your suggestion for how this should play out? 

we keep vaccinating (the response is polyclonal so there are still antibodies able to neutralise mutant viruses), we keep being sensible over how many contacts we make and especially where we meet (not too many indoors), and we wait for everyone to eventually have caught the virus leaving a non-naive population.

Everyone HAS to catch this at some point - it is endemic and it is not going away. Even the vaccinated need to catch this. In fact better anyone who is DV'd to catch the delta variant now while they full of neutralising Abs and T cells ready to pounce, meaning they get a mild (cold-like) illness.

Downside to this that overspill into non-vaccinated and vulnerable populations will inevitably cause death.

Basically, it's shit sandwich without the bread...

• Upvote 2

59 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Not a fair example to use I’d say … Glastonbury is unique in the fact it is massively oversubscribed so a drop off of a portion of those would likely make no difference … as it would still sell out … you might get a few not so confident seeking refunds though 

This leads onto something that I have been thinking for a few weeks now... How popular is Glastonbury really? Obviously it sells out every year, but how large is the devoted fanbase and how many tickets go to bucket-listers or casuals? The (perceived) poor sales of the livestream, the availability of the camping this year and the mountains of the 50th Anniversary books I've seen in discount shops suggests to me that the hard core fanbase may not be as big as we think it is.

I think that there is a real risk to the festival in 2023/24. How many of the hardcore who didn't get tickets in 2020 will have moved on? Will the once and done crowd still be as big when a couple of year groups may have not got into the habit of going to festivals. 

I don't think that it will be a disaster (immediately) but demand may soften over the next 3-5 years.

3 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

I would imagine the safest place for people like your friend is to stay home right now.  In fact - there is an argument the quicker to get this over and done - by opening up and mixing - the safer his daughter will be and the shorter the period of isolation surely ? 

quite possibly ... although he still has to work 

6 minutes ago, sadimmock said:

Will the once and done crowd .

Is this a thing? 

How can anybody go to Glastonbury and then say “Let’s not do that again, let’s go to Leeds festival next year instead” 

Surely once you’ve been to Glastonbury you realise that you aren’t getting value for money at the other major festivals. 

• Upvote 1