When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

24 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Tested negative on 2 lateral flow tests...

Maybe it's not covid ? 

Pretty sure it is, as 2 people been in close contact with (one of them my flat mate) now tested positive. 

They were both initially testing negative on lateral flow too, even when started to have symptoms. Mine is likely to be negative because I have the worlds worst gag reflex lol, used to shoving things up my nose no problem but not tickling my tonsils.

1 hour ago, DeanoL said:

I think we're conflating two things in this discussion at the moment. First there's the medical issue. Cases are going up, will continue to go up, and then they'll reach a peak and come back down. We should hit that peak in the next few weeks, and if we do all is fine. If we don't, and cases continue to keep going up (and so do hospitalisations at the same rate) we will be back in full lockdown, unavoidably. But that probably won't happen. It's not what the science points to. The only problem there is the case numbers being as high as they are now is also not what the science points to. So y'know, we should be okay until the scientists have it catastrophically wrong.

The second issue is the one I've gone on and on about for the past few months, and that's hesitancy. You can drop the rules all you want but if people don't feel comfortable going out they won't go out and that's a problem. A lot of people have harped on for a long time about how we should drop all the rules, and let people do what they want. The worried can stay in, the rest of them can get "back to normal". They've said that confident in the knowledge that 90% of people are on the same page they are, and the other 10% are introvert fake-SAGE weirdos. That the reason pubs aren't full is because people don't like table service, wearing masks to the loo, or having to book in advance. That Latitude isn't sold out because it's quite hard to get to. 

I was actually starting to believe that, given the level of confidence they seemed to have in this belief, hell, you'll have seen me making posts going "yeah but even if we're just 10% that can have a big impacts on gigs, etc.". But no - turns out the cautious people were in the majority all along. Turns out when you tell people "yeah there will be an exit wave but you probably won't die" a lot people go "oh cool, I'll just wait until the exit wave is done then".

What's happening now is what I expected to start happening in a couple of weeks time, once the initial rush and excitement of freedom day wore off. That at that point we might have some pubs and cafes reintroduce distancing and masking measures to encourage the vast swathes of society hiding away to go to them.

Same as I've always said: if you want to go back to normal, you have to bring everyone with you. Because it's other people that run the businesses you go to, other people that perform at the gigs you go to, other people that cook at the restaurant you go to.... you can't just go "back to normal" on your own. But instead of trying to win the argument and actually encourage people not to be afraid and that it'll be okay, the anti-lockdown hawks have gone with "people can just stay at home if they don't like it". And now they're upset because people are doing exactly that.

Now do the Wembley, Silverstone, Wimbledon part of “people are too nervous to go out and things won’t be full” 

Lattitude hasn’t sold out because the lineup is shit and people haven’t got £500 to waste on it. 

Is anybody actually annoyed that people still want to stay at home? I couldn’t give a shit, stay home. People are annoyed that those that will stay home anyway are trying to keep measures like social distancing and masks in places that they’ll avoid. 

Edited by BobWillis2

4 minutes ago, BobWillis2 said:

Now do the Wembley, Silverstone, Wimbledon part of “people are too nervous to go out and things won’t be full” 

Lattitude hasn’t sold out because the lineup is shit and people haven’t got £500 to waste on it. 

It’s about a division … some won’t be nervous … some will … the initial festivals to go on sale sold out instantly the later ones to go on sale more slowly or didn’t … there are plenty of people out there looking after loved ones … that are vulnerable that haven’t and won’t yet return to everything they were doing pre pandemic … that will take time … confidence in the vaccine 💉 which we know is good … but also confidence in either safety measures or lower case numbers so less risk 

11 minutes ago, BobWillis2 said:

Is anybody actually annoyed that people still want to stay at home? I couldn’t give a shit, stay home. People are annoyed that those that will stay home anyway are trying to keep measures like social distancing and masks in places that they’ll avoid. 

I still maintain that if they put on a festival with stormzy/dave etc next month it'd sell out straight away. Same with say Arctic monkeys

Just now, crazyfool1 said:

It’s about a division … some won’t be nervous … some will … 

Of course and that’s fine. Everyone is free to go at their own pace. 
Deanos confirmation bias that everything not sold out and every pub not full means that lots of people must feel the same way as him and be too nervous to go out is bullshit. 
Not everybody has loads of money to spend on a ticket, tent, alcohol, drugs and travel just to go to lattitude because it’s a festival and we haven’t been able to for 2 years. Especially with such a poor lineup. 
If the appetite for an event is there it sells out and people get stuck in and enjoy themselves as if covid never existed. 
People will save their money for a festival that they feel is worth the money. 
It’s also not a great time to be getting your supplies ready only to get pinged and have to cancel at the last minute. 

I was hoping the pandemic might make our society a kinder, nicer place however when I see comments such as ‘people that stay in are irrelevant’ I realise that might not be the case sadly.

People stay in for lots of reasons, some medical, that doesn’t make any of them an irrelevance. They are just different. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, efcfanwirral said:

I still maintain that if they put on a festival with stormzy/dave etc next month it'd sell out straight away. Same with say Arctic monkeys

Quite possibly but only because demand is compressed into the smaller number of events that are happening … if you opened all events again you’d see many that didn’t sell out because of some of the previous customers being more apprehensive 

4 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

the initial festivals to go on sale sold out instantly the later ones to go on sale more slowly or didn’t … 

People are fed up of buying tickets to events/shows/festivals that are being cancelled and rolled over.

Confidence that events will actually happen is low! 

(not Latitude - that just looks shit) 

6 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

If Glastonbury was on next week people would be desperately trying to find a route in because the demand would be far higher than the supply. 

1 minute ago, BobWillis2 said:

Of course and that’s fine. Everyone is free to go at their own pace. 
Deanos confirmation bias that everything not sold out and every pub not full means that lots of people must feel the same way as him and be too nervous to go out is bullshit. 
Not everybody has loads of money to spend on a ticket, tent, alcohol, drugs and travel just to go to lattitude because it’s a festival and we haven’t been able to for 2 years. Especially with such a poor lineup. 
If the appetite for an event is there it sells out and people get stuck in and enjoy themselves as if covid never existed. 
People will save their money for a festival that they feel is worth the money. 
It’s also not a great time to be getting your supplies ready only to get pinged and have to cancel at the last minute. 

See my reply above .. it will take time for full demand to resume … we need everyone back doing things not just the ones involved in these initial surge of a limited number of events … it will happen but I’m not sure it will quite yet 

3 minutes ago, stuie said:

People are fed up of buying tickets to events/shows/festivals that are being cancelled and rolled over.

Confidence that events will actually happen is low! 

(not Latitude - that just looks shit) 

That's actually a good point - I currently have 2 lots of festival tickets and 3 indoor gigs rolled over. Did the right thing rolling over the festivals for definite as it helps the industry but yes, I'm lucky to be able to afford a gamble on Latitude on top of that. 

I wouldn't ever go otherwise but a weekend in a field as if its the old days was too good to pass up! 

Edited by efcfanwirral

9 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

It seems obvious that restrictions like social distancing being removed completely before maximum, or even a very high level of vaccination has occurred, will increase the risk of virus mutations. I don't think anyone can reasonably disagree with that. Is that a good enough reason to keep restrictions? Some think so, others not. Neither side is necessarily 'right', it's a matter of opinion.

I think most people recognise the gamble being taken here, hence the concern most people have. The extent of the easing is quite jarring (basically disappearing entirely in terms of government mandates), which I suppose accounts for the nervous sounding comments from Whitty etc. about how bad things could actually get.

Edited by kalifire

5 minutes ago, BobWillis2 said:

If Glastonbury was on next week people would be desperately trying to find a route in because the demand would be far higher than the supply. 

Not a fair example to use I’d say … Glastonbury is unique in the fact it is massively oversubscribed so a drop off of a portion of those would likely make no difference … as it would still sell out … you might get a few not so confident seeking refunds though 

Edited by crazyfool1

Just now, crazyfool1 said:

Not a fair example to use I’d say … Glastonbury is unique in the fact it is massively oversubscribed so a drop off of a portion of those would likely make no difference … as it would still sell out … 

Either people are hesitant or they’re not? Can’t have it both ways. 

2 minutes ago, kalifire said:

It seems obvious that restrictions like social distancing being removed completely before maximum, or even a very high level of vaccination, has occurred will increase the risk of virus mutations. 

Except we have no idea yet if mutations will occur in vaccinated people who can still catch the virus and transmit it, albeit to a lesser extent. 
There is no proof that a fully vaccinated population would be free from variants. 

1 minute ago, BobWillis2 said:

Either people are hesitant or they’re not? Can’t have it both ways. 

Some people are some people aren’t …  a better test in terms of a festival would be to look at one that just about sells out …. Although this year is a mess anyway with the limited numbers actually going ahead … 

6 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

See my reply above .. it will take time for full demand to resume … we need everyone back doing things not just the ones involved in these initial surge of a limited number of events … it will happen but I’m not sure it will quite yet 

Of all my friends that go to festivals, I don’t know any that are apprehensive about returning. They are all chomping at the bit. I know that’s a small sample size but I don’t get any sense of people being scared, apart from on this forum.

1 minute ago, Barry Fish said:

I will tell you what is a good example - Silverstone...

Demographic for attendance is actually VERY mixed.  Age range 3 to 99 and both male and female (I was shocked first time how many women go - always thought it would be male dominated).  It usually sells out every year and its usually the same people who go every year.

This year it will packed - every seat taken.

If there was a fear of engagement in large events Silverstone would not have sold out.

There’s a mix … what’s so hard to see ? Some will some won’t … but for a fully functioning economy it needs those others to return to spending money …